PDA

View Full Version : Cougars trim roster

puckmam
12-01-2007, 05:17 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=106491&Itemid=564

(Sports) Saturday, 01 December 2007, 01:00 PST
JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Be good, be young, or be gone.

That’s the message behind two transactions by the Prince George Cougars on Friday, moves made before the team headed east for games tonight (in Red Deer) and Sunday afternoon (in Calgary).

The most significant move saw 18-year-old assistant captain Chris Vanduynhoven, a third-year defenceman and former fifth-round bantam choice (84th overall, 2004), sent closer to his Burnaby home. Vanduynhoven, six-foot-five and 242 pounds, was auctioned to the Chilliwack Bruins for a fourth-round draft pick in 2009.

“We got what we wanted (with the draft choice) -- we had nine defencemen, his icetime was dwindling and we wanted to give him an opportunity,” said Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson.

“It was a big jump for Chris to make our team as a 16-year-old, and he was a good fit for us with how he was off the ice and in the classroom. We just got in a numbers crunch, and we have younger guys who we want to work into the lineup and get more icetime.”

The undrafted Vanduynhoven played in 142 regular season games for the Cougars, scoring four times and adding 12 assists, along with 152 penalty minutes. Vanduynhoven surprised many by making the WHL as a 16-year-old, outplaying former first-overall draft pick Ryan Kerr in that 2005 training camp. But a lack of footspeed caused problems in the defensive zone and made him expendable. Vanduynhoven was minus-13 this season -- among Cougars players, only Colin Haas and Kalvin Sagert are worse in that department (minus-15).

The addition of 16-year-old blueliner Matt Cumming this past week -- he was lured north from the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL -- gave the Cougars too many defencemen, forcing Thompson to thin the ranks. Vanduynhoven is expected to debut with the Bruins tonight in Kamloops, wearing jersey No. 4.

Thompson further cut the roster, getting down to 23 players, by giving an outright release to centre Matt Sokol, who was added to the club in late October. The 18-year-old former Portland Winter Hawk had three assists, one scrap and a minus-3 rating in 14 games for the Cats. Even with the Los Angeles native gone, the Cougars still have five Americans on the team.

“Dale Hunt and Evan Fuller are getting closer (to returning from injuries), so we didn’t want to be sitting five guys in the stands on a nightly basis,” said Thompson.

“With Matt, it’s more of an age thing. We have other guys who have come on -- Parker Stanfield, Marcus Watson and Ryan Kowalski, so basically it was creating room for younger guys.”

The general manager said no other moves are pending, downplaying Ty Wishart trade rumours that are growing loud again.

PGFlyfisher
12-01-2007, 10:16 AM
The Sokol move doesn' t surprise me. Unfortunately he never really showed much promise up here. But best of luck to him wherever he goes.

However, the Vanduynhoven trade does puzzle me a bit. He seemed like a very decent and polite young man when I' ve had the chance to chat with him and had a letter on his jersey to boot.
I think with just a bit more foot speed( and I do believe it was coming along), he could have been our "rock" on the back end like Featherstone was.

Also, if the trade was to develop younger D, then why didn' t they unload 19 yr old Magnusson instead. I can' t figure this one out. :confused:

The silver lining, I guess, is Chris will now get a chance to play a little closer to home.

Best of luck with the Bruins, Chris! Thanks for your heart and soul night in and night out!

TwoBits
12-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I was puzzled about the choice at first as well. I guess in the process of trimming the D they also had to look towards the future. A fourth round draft pick in 2009 is not too shabby. Good luck to Chris, sounds like he was a nice kid.

Sput
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I was more surprised that Chris got a letter in the first place, and that it took this long for him to get traded. For myself, I thought the 'A' was more bait for someone else to look at him than having actually earned it....but that is just my thought.

With Chris getting traded and Sokol being released tha one thing that was accomplished was they got younger, making this more a believeable rebuilding year. Now we just have to see who the next few passengers that get traded or let-go are going to be.