PDA

View Full Version : I BLAME THE RADIO ANNOUNCER ( not the color guy though he is great )

SuckItUp
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Very nice after losing a few games our Radio guy wants to blame the Marketing Dept. Well I blame the loss on the Radio Announcer. He should be doing more to get the guys going during the pregame interviews. Sounds dumb doesn't it. So does blaming the marketing dept when you know nothing about the situation. Going to 22 rinks does not make you an AUTHORITY on the subject. We all want more to be done but where is this money going to come from. They just dont have the resources that Saskatoon does with 8 marketing directors and a staff of 70 people for game day. We have 2 in total. Huge difference. Our Radio Guy should know better than to post something as stupid as that. When you cant stand be called out for your job do not call out other people esp. when they are working for THE SWIFT CURRENT BRONCOS. Whose team are you on man?

I am not a worker for the Broncos just a fan who loves this team and I am pissed off that someone post stupid crap like that.

stick boy
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
To get this straight it is the marketing department's fault that the Broncos have a bunch of injuries and came out with an awful opening period against Kootenay?

Does anyone else agree with this clown? :confused:

Making a rink tough to play in begins and ends with the performance by the home team on the ice and not with build a burger promotions or fireworks at centre ice.

The Broncos are having a real tough time right now, lets not make it worse by panicking and start blaming the marketing staff, the zamboni driver, etc. as some tend to do.

ointhecreek
12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Get serious. The marketing dept. has done nothing this year. The only promotions going on are the ones from last year. There is nothing going on and sponsorship seems to have dropped. Nothing is happening inside or outside the rink to get people excited. They seem to think that the new renos will bring people in, but that only lasts a few games and the renos seemed to have stalled. No new giveaways, no numbers called from the program. Why buy one, most fans already know who wears which number. The publicity is pretty much nonexsistant. Even Charlie horse hardly even bangs the drum anymore.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Im tired of saying the same old thing every thread, so from now on, I am just going to put an angry face on my post whenever swift does the opposite of my predictions...

Going on 5 in a row now(that I can recall)

:(

SuckItUp
12-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Get serious. The marketing dept. has done nothing this year. The only promotions going on are the ones from last year. There is nothing going on and sponsorship seems to have dropped. Nothing is happening inside or outside the rink to get people excited. They seem to think that the new renos will bring people in, but that only lasts a few games and the renos seemed to have stalled. No new giveaways, no numbers called from the program. Why buy one, most fans already know who wears which number. The publicity is pretty much nonexsistant. Even Charlie horse hardly even bangs the drum anymore.

O I am serious. Where is the money going to come from for these fancy thing you want. And obviously you havent heard much as the last month about 10 numbers are being called from the programs. The marketing group is doing the best they can with the resources they have. They have a budget and they cant go over it. For them to be called out freakin ridiculous and competely ignorant.

ointhecreek
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
10 numbers in a month? Wow! And they just put speakers up in my end so maybe thats why I haven't heard any. But still, 10 in the last 8 games? And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the prizes donated by businesses in lieu of advertising? I realize they have a budget, but they haven't done anything this year, or at least less then they did last year. Sounds like a lack of imagination to me, not money.

SuckItUp
12-02-2007, 12:19 AM
10 numbers in a month? Wow! And they just put speakers up in my end so maybe thats why I haven't heard any. But still, 10 in the last 8 games? And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of the prizes donated by businesses in lieu of advertising? I realize they have a budget, but they haven't done anything this year, or at least less then they did last year. Sounds like a lack of imagination to me, not money.

First I meant 10 per game. Second The sponsors have to be on board for the intermissions promotions instand giveaways and all that stuff. If they want the same as last year thats what they do as the give the money. And in a small market the money just is not there and the meaning of the post was to prove a point that this is stupid to discuss and our radio guy should know better. I guess once a jerk always a jerk. He has ripped people and and shut them our for doing this exact same thing. When someone calls him out at his job he gets pissed off and he has the audacity to do the exact same thing is shameful.

Bucking Bronco
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
I agree with you Suckitup, it's not just a matter of the marketing department deciding what they want to do, and it happens. It always comes down to money & board approval. I know for a fact, the new marketing guy has had some great ideas for them only to be shot down by the board because of money or the board is justso outdated they don't realize how great the ideas were. And O, i'm guessing you were #1 signed up for teh last 2 fan buses that didn't go that the marketing department organized? Since you're so concerned...

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
12-02-2007, 12:39 AM
It was only a few years ago that almost every night was sponsored, with some great giveaways. Now the only big night we've had was the home opener, and the sponsor of that one was the organization THAT SPONSORS THE RINK! Oh yeah, and KFC night tonight. The top prize, a bucket of chicken.

Let the fans feel appreciated for coming out, give them a chance to win some great prizes. The air cannon was a great addition, but we need more than that to keep people enthralled.

stick boy
12-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Still don't understand how marketing departments win games for WHL teams.

By the way folks we don't have a marketing staff we have one person.

Last year's attendance for Teddy Bear Toss - 1697
This year's - 1908

So why are we calling out this year's crew?

When was the best attendance and the rink toughest to play in?

Late 80's and early 90's, right!

SO the promotions then were two big blue dice and the board in front of the net with a hole smaller then a puck. SO should we bring them back to help the current Broncos?

Can't think of the last time I heard someone say they would come to a Bronco game if only there were better promotions. I've never seen anyone catch a yellow squishy puck and proclaim, "I am buying season tickets for next year!"

Was the marketing position not open to anyone to apply? Why didn't all the marketing geniuses, that apparently are also Bronco fans, apply for it and prove that there is a way to sell out the rink, create a tough atmosphere to play in, and make buckets of money for the team to use in future promotions?

Split the D
12-02-2007, 02:28 AM
First of all I think John Keen stepped over the line. Does he know that the city isnt allowing some stuff from happening. Examples are, opening night lights had to be on since construction at the Iplex is still on going. As well they dont allow Cypress Motors to have Vehicles on the ice during the intermissions. Do you wonder why some of the colours arent Bronco colours in the I plex. A new red concession, would you have picked the colour which does not go with the broncos colours in the office. Not every thing is controllable. I wish people would use the heads before they speak and if they want to sugguest something go ahead speak it. But give your head a shake for some of those comments. Im sure their is more then I have listed but these are just some. Im sure someone will make a smart suggestion on how I have went off the deep end. But it was still very unprofessional of our radio annoucer to be posting this stuff. I wouldnt go on telling him what kind of a job hes doing.

Broncs in RD
12-02-2007, 04:15 AM
WOW Jon what a lack of class!!!!! Great team guy going and ripping into the Bronco organization. I personally know the marketing guy and think he is doing a great job and has great ideas. It is up to the PLAYERS and the FANS to make it an intimidating place to play, not the marketing guy. Jon your ego has taken over your brain, remember you are still working radio in Swift and doing WHL hockey. You are not in any position to make these comments.

Flathead
12-02-2007, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=Broncs in RD] It is up to the PLAYERS and the FANS to make it an intimidating place to play, not the marketing guy. QUOTE]
I totally agree that it's up to the players and fans to make it an intimidating place to play, but it's next to impossible for the fans to even get into the game because every stoppage of play there's a P.A. announcement about something that nobody really cares about. Let the fans cheer a big hit, or a good shift, or whatever is going on!! Play a little music, pound some keys on an organ, let Charlie beat his drum, anything but the PA annoucements, please!!!

Son of a Preacher Man
12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
The atmosphere at the arena this year is pretty lame. I don't blame the marketing people or anyone else but it does appear people and business is loosing interest in the Broncos. Why i'm not sure. You look around and we are in a boom right now with lots of new businesses moving in yet they don't seem to want to put any money back in the community. It seems to be the local businesses supporting the team yet people in town flood to these new places and forget about the locals. Hence the locals sales drop and they don't have the money anymore to give back. You go to these big stores that are not local and try to get them to advertise or sponsor a game night. Always the same answer ( it has to be sent into head office for approval) then gets chucked into the garbage. The local businesses can only give so much to keep this team. The big out of town stores don't give a rip about the Broncos and suck all the money out of town with nothing in return. I wouldn't blame Jordan or Tracey. Trying to get money to help the Broncos out of all these new stores is like trying to get blood out of a rock, yet we flood to the new businesses. Remember it's still a locally owned business who sees the value of the Broncos in the community and the big chains don't give a rip what happens to the team.

Toswammi
12-02-2007, 10:22 AM
First of all I think John Keen stepped over the line. Does he know that the city isnt allowing some stuff from happening. Examples are, opening night lights had to be on since construction at the Iplex is still on going. As well they dont allow Cypress Motors to have Vehicles on the ice during the intermissions.

The vehicle thing is true. I hear they don't want to wreck the ice? (even though other buildings at all levels do it). Also there is a list a mile long of what the mascot cant do anymore (hence the reason he is a little more tame now). Just a few examples of stuff previous regimes didn't have to deal with.

wardog fan
12-02-2007, 10:57 AM
if you guys dont mind me interferring here, you know i have been a fan of this great league from day one when the winnipeg warriors moved to moose jaw. we have billeted players for numerous years at the beginning, been threw it all and seen it all in this league. but for all us and yes moose jaw is a small market team who has its own problems with a rink and fans, not only us but pa as well. the league has changed, its bigger, its grown into a huge monster if i can say that. this monster provides us with great entertainment for a reasonable value. but the problem lies in vancouver, calgary, edmonton, the american franchises and even regina. they out draw us ten fold, we will never as small market teams compete. the value of a frnachise has almost gone up 10 times since the ealry 80's , promotions are competed upon what goes on in bigger makets. guys we cant compete with the bigger markets end of story. im scared that in a few years we will see some teams moved or drop out of the dub, for this plain problem that the chl and the dub have raised their bar so high that anything less then 4 or 5 thousand fans a game is not acceptable. who do we blame then? swifty has atleast did something to prevent loseing their team, but in the end revno's the answer? maybe a new rink was the way to go? here in moose jaw we ask ourselves everyday but in the end corporate money isnt there, its all in regina and saskatoon and alberta. this is a great league and my worst fear is pa, moose jaw and swifty may have to join the sjhl just for the fact is we cannot compete doller for doller with the bigger markets. and some say the bigger markets have the upper hand on free agent ncaa drop outs? its somewhat proven right now . and you cant tell me for a kid to go to a bigger market doesnt get the perks compared to coming to swift or moose jaw or pa????
i hope this makes some kind of sense, the league itself is great but as a fan im troubled some and worried and on the fight to keep our franchises but in the end its not our say , its the monster in alberta who runs this big league who does.

wardog fan
12-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Team Total Gm Avg PvsT Pvs Diff Pct
Brandon 58,977 15 3,931.8 61,155 4,077.0 -145.2 -3.56%
Calgary 110,007 15 7,333.8 111,036 7,402.4 -68.6 -0.93%
Chilliwack 70,228 16 4,389.3 69,254 4,328.4 +60.9 +1.41%
Edmonton 66,675 13 5,128.9 ---- ---- ---- ----
Everett 84,697 14 6,049.8 82,189 5,870.6 +179.1 +3.05%
Kamloops 68,279 15 4,551.9 71,633 4,775.5 -223.6 -4.68%
Kelowna 91,692 15 6,112.8 91,589 6,105.9 +6.9 +0.11%
Kootenay 41,205 14 2,943.2 40,310 2,879.3 +63.9 +2.22%
Lethbridge 62,857 17 3,697.5 61,327 3,607.5 +90.0 +2.49%
Medicine Hat 72,108 18 4,006.0 72,108 4,006.0 0 0
Moose Jaw 32,182 14 2,298.7 34,526 2,466.1 -167.4 -6.79%
Portland 49,579 13 3,813.8 55,990 4,306.9 -493.2 -11.45%
Prince Albert 33,596 16 2,099.8 34,556 2,159.8 -60.0 -2.78%
Prince George 37,587 13 2,891.3 37,933 2,917.9 -26.6 -0.91%
Red Deer 71,273 12 5,939.4 73,686 6,140.5 -201.1 -3.27%
Regina 74,374 16 4,648.4 69,178 4,323.6 +324.8 +7.51%
Saskatoon 48,467 12 4,038.9 46,856 3,904.7 +134.3 +3.44%
Seattle 42,028 12 3,502.3 43,845 3,653.8 -151.4 -4.14%
Spokane 83,229 14 5,944.9 75,958 5,425.6 +519.4 +9.57%
Swift Current 26,521 14 1,894.4 26,170 1,869.3 +25.1 +1.34%
Tri-City 62,786 16 3,924.1 59,945 3,746.6 +177.6 +4.74%
Vancouver 107,516 14 7,679.7 108,158 7,725.6 -45.9 -0.59%

WHL League 1,395,863 318 4,389.5 1,311,133 4,341.5 +48.0 +1.11%

heres attendence numbers, look at swift, pa and moose jaw we are the bottom three and look at calgary and vancouver... 10 yrs ago they couldnt even get 1,000 people out to their games, thus loseing the ice in edmonton, and vancouver has had teams too. but the astounding number is the league wide average and look how badly our three teams draw compared to the rest of the league... another note the teddy bear toss in calgary complete sell out for it, lethbridge had a 30 min delay to clean up teddy bears..

SuckItUp
12-02-2007, 11:31 AM
This is kinda the point I was making. Thanks wardog. The league could care less about small market teams. Ask the marketing guys what the difference in league marketing dollars are between Swift and Calgary. We end up with like 2% of the Leauge Sponsors. Those ones want their money spent in the big markets. Its a bloody shame. Sidenote to Flathead about the PA announcements...the team sells those annoying announcements to the sponsors. They may seem annoying but the team needs them right now. The team needs all of us Right now.

wardog fan
12-02-2007, 11:38 AM
i agree totally. i love to hate any team in saskatchewan except moose jaw, i think i speak for everyone who cheers for a team in this league. its fun bus trips and crashing another teams barn and cheering on this great league. but this league has gotten so big now us bottom three teams are not going to survive. i mean i have heard here in moose jaw players declineing trades cause they didnt want to come to moose jaw or players wanting out cause of moose jaw when they can be closer to home or play for a better organization. what these players tend to forget this is the grass roots of hockey right here in saskatchewan this is it. the nhl and chl and money has gotten so out of control now its going to hurt major junior hockey to some extent and hurt us small market teams that much more. i couldnt imagine loseing our warrior team and to take a step further hear about swift or pa lose a team, if one team fall is a ripple effect, brandon will get hurt by it regina will as well. travel costs go up by the year in this league kids are out of school almost too much, promotions and season tickets go up. the dollers are just not there in small makets. i dont speak for every team but here everyone talks warrior hockey but no one goes to the games, they say the rink or this or that. but in the end its those people who do the talking and not showing up or supporting is hurting us the most.....

SuckItUp
12-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Well said Wardog well said. I could not have said it better myself. The league should use a theme song from the WWE. Its from a while back...Ted Debiase THE MILLION DOLLAR MAN's song Money, money, money.

eye4aneye
12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Alot of you make outstanding points.
One point I would like to make is that as a society we have gotten spoiled. WE WANT MORE...or at least some people do. What happened to going to a hockey game for the game itself, not for the bucket of chicken or big mac? Big market teams are doing well especially if they have an NHL team because not everyone can afford to take their kid to an NHL game but the WHL provides a good value especially for the dollar. The WHL has gotten too big like the NHL and has watered down the talent. Admit it people the talent is not as good as it was 20-25 years ago,( the talent pool hasn't doubled with doubling the market) and that is why the marketing has become such a big player. It used to be that you went to the game to see a rivalry or a hat trick. Now we go to get a spongey puck? I kinda feel sorry for people that attend events for what they might get as opposed to the game itself. Kinda like how I feel sorry for kids that watch too much tv, video games or puter stuff, and latch key kids. I mean in a bigger market the marketing has other things to compete with for attendance, but a smaller market is now competing with satellite dishes, webcasts, movies etc. It used to be the only thing to do was go to a hockey game. But if you can watch a webcast for 5.00 and have it wired to your BIG GIGANTIC FLAT SCREEN... sheesh I wonder why attendance is faltering? Can you imagine what would happen if the CFL didn't have blackouts? YIKES WE WOULD BE OUTTA BUSINESS. WOW my common sense has really kicked in. I hope no one from the league office sees this and goes hmmm are we killing our teams with technology? Boogaard'd

Oh and speedy creeks announcer ,,,should be toasted for belittling. What an idiot.

rinkrat
12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
the talent pool hasn't doubled with doubling the market.

It may not have doubled but California has been a gold mine for up and coming players to the dub. There's alot of California players in the league now as well as some from Texas and Arizona. The league is doing a great job of promoting the dub to young players in those areas.

rinkrat
12-02-2007, 01:13 PM
but the problem lies in vancouver, calgary, edmonton, the american franchises and even regina.

in the end corporate money isnt there, its all in regina and saskatoon and alberta.

Laughable comments, so the problem with the dub is the teams in Vancouver,U.S.,Alberta and Saskatoon and Regina? :spineyes:

Ya the other four teams would make a really strong league. haha :clown:

ointhecreek
12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
But if you can watch a webcast for 5.00 and have it wired to your BIG GIGANTIC FLAT SCREEN... sheesh I wonder why attendance is faltering?
Have you seen these webcasts? The quality is really poor along with the camera work. I can't get a decent picture on my 19 inch monitor let alone my 42 inch TV. I order them when the Broncos are on the road but I certainly will sooner go watch live.

Teddy_B
12-02-2007, 02:28 PM
C"mon Jon wake up! We are in the smallest market of the entire CHL and you are comparing us to 21 other teams in the dub alone and comparing how we run our organization compared to theirs.How do you know for a fact that it is the promotion of the night that is bringinging in the fans.
Demographically we do not have the youngest fan base in the league. I have no problem with this but there are consequences that go with this (ex.) musics to loud, kids blowing horns is to loud etc. Historically Swift Current fans sit on their hands and analyze the game more than enjoying a night out.
At the end of the day you're #1 form of advertising is win baby!

eye4aneye
12-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Have you seen these webcasts? The quality is really poor along with the camera work. I can't get a decent picture on my 19 inch monitor let alone my 42 inch TV. I order them when the Broncos are on the road but I certainly will sooner go watch live.
And what happens if the quality does get better. How many people would rather stay home when it is -30, in the comforts of their home. Have a cheap beer and snack....even if the quality isn't the greatest. Suddenly a 30.00 night is 10 bucks. I am just saying that there are reasons for faltering?

And just how many kids from the southern states are playing in the dub right now vs others including euros. n. americans and canadian. It sure as heck isn't 10% let alone 40-50%. maybe the league will make a new rule 3 20year olds 2 euros and a surfer dude LOL jk being funny. I know those kids are talented!

eye4aneye
12-02-2007, 05:05 PM
It may not have doubled but California has been a gold mine for up and coming players to the dub. There's alot of California players in the league now as well as some from Texas and Arizona. The league is doing a great job of promoting the dub to young players in those areas.

Which is telling me that the talent pool in canada is not what it used to be, why? I would have to blame the social stresses in our society. Hard enough to be hockey couple let alone a single hockey parent. Hard on the pocket book as well if you are a single parent. Not as much interest in younger adults in coaching, so we are relying on parents to coach in the younger groups who at best can open and close the gate. Kinda sad. I am sure there are alot of hockey mom's that would coach if they had played the game themselves.

rinkrat
12-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Which is telling me that the talent pool in canada is not what it used to be, why?

Wardog said that the talent pool had been diminished due to the dub having teams in Vancouver,U.S.,Alberta and Saskatoon and Regina. :clown:

eye4aneye
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Wardog said that the talent pool had been diminished due to the dub having teams in Vancouver,U.S.,Alberta and Saskatoon and Regina. :clown:

It is the mix of the types of teams. Someone I think thinks we are the NHL....we aren't :turkey:

there are other reasons that the talent isn't able to support the size of the league.....besides the number of teams that are in the WHL. Those reasons are causing the teams to not be as talented.

Do you think that the NHL prior to the last expansion, gave away tee shirts? NOt on Harold Ballards grave they didn't. They didn't have to.

wardog fan
12-02-2007, 06:14 PM
i never said such thing, re read my posts... the only point i said referring to vancouver and calgary and edmonton, was that they draw 8,000 to 10,000 people a game raising the bar in the dub for attendence and the small market teams are not going to be able to survive . we dont have the corporate sponsers as these big market have. and i know its easy for you guys to say well who cares. but the bottom line is the league ten years ago was just fine without the big markets and thats what i was getting at

Scout
12-02-2007, 09:38 PM
From his blog:

Sunday, December 02, 2007
Resourceful

Jon Keen is taking heat at whlfans.ca because of soem comments he made on his blog. These comments:

Where's the atmosphere in our building? Sure the fans have to create something but shouldn't the Broncos as an organization do something to promote fan excitement or involvement? I've been to all 22 WHL rinks so I feel like I can speak with some authority on this matter. Have we given up? Other teams have big promotions or have certain "nights" that bring in large crowds. What about the Grey Cup making an appearance? I see Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Regina all have a Grey Cup appearance in the works.

There is no excitement build-up prior to puck drop unless the public address announcer is throwing a shout out to the Hazlet fans who have come out to cheer Andrew Bailey of the Kootenay Ice. Are we too accommodating? The I-plex has been a pretty inviting place for other teams to come in this year. Where's our edge? For pete sakes, Bailey's mom even sang the national anthem! Great job Terry-Lou. It was probably that or the junior B orchestra that has been busted out a couple of times this season. (taped instremental version of Oh Canada) No offense Cypress Cyclones, just a figure of speech.

Making the I-plex an imposing place to play starts with creating a tough atmosphere for the visitors to cope with and ends with a dominant in your face hockey team.

The Riders have the "13th man" and it makes a difference.

People at whlfans.ca are calling Keen a "clown" among other things for his comments. It's not the job of the marketing department to make people cheer is the argument. I do think Jon has a valid point in that more can be done to fire up the crowd. A lot of the comments on whlfans are of the theme that "Swift can't compete with the big centres and we have no budget".

I tire of that small market syndrome excuse. Yes, our budget is nil and the evil board of directors won't let anyone do anything creative. We've heard it all before.

The Bronco marketing gig is a tough one. We in Swift are handicapped as we don't have a jumbotron to show highlight reel clips to fire up fans just before opening faceoff. We don't have pyro...we don't have a budget.

So this is where we need to be resourceful. We have a sound system, a cordless mic and a crazy in-stand dude. Blast Welcome to the Jungle, get Zoolander on the ice and have him start a 'go Broncos go' chant. When I was the in stand guy, I did it. It got the crowd going (sadly it backfired when Med Hat fans ran our show, but we learned).

Instead of the tired and emotionless fields and pasture lands bit while playing Kid Rock's Cowboy for Charlie Horse, do something high energy. Play 'Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy' again. Invent a new Bronco chant. Hell, have the Hudec Brothers or a local band write and record a 'Go Broncos' fight song ala "Green is the color" to play before games.

Shooting t-shirts into the crowd gets fans wound up. Do that before the opening faceoff.

Honestly, would the board say 'no' to any of that?

By the way, I'd like to thank the one poster for saying I was "great" in the thread. I've been a part of radio stations that had ZERO heat and listeners over the years. I appreciate every compliment I get. Thank you. Moving on...

penman
12-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I agree just because Swift is a small market the smallest I guess doesnt mean we have to act like one.Wasnt at the Ice game but I listened to it and there were a lot of Hazlet people there.Seems to me one other night there was a bus from Maple Creek there.Whose promotiing things like that??? I havent seen two many groups in the stands like other years???not saying there not there just havent noticed them.I have been in the promotion side of things quite a bit of my life and it is a tough gig. Especially when you are compared to a Calgary ,Van.etc.I would have to say Swiftty would be very tough but they are passionate about there hockey so startthere and it might not hurt to tell the board not to be abunch of old boys and give somone a little room not every idea has to cost alot I am sure they dont run there bussinesses withzero promo dollars who does??In closing here is two simple things that dont cost alot of money,get the web site up to date not two or three days after the game or the event,get some pictures and things for people to look at and give them a reason to go the web site that can have a big franchise look to it.The last thing dont have a recorded national athem unless there was a bad storm or a meteorite shower thatis very very tacky.

Toswammi
12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
He said something about a song a few posts up (switzers blog?)...

We need something like the Rangers goal song. That is a sweet tune, and only works in New York.

Sadly there will never be a lot of energy in the building unless you can group some ppl together. I dont see that happening anytime soon. But its a thought.

Scout
12-03-2007, 07:23 AM
I was part of the bus crew that all sat together in section A and we were loud and it was a great promo. We seem way louder in other teams rinks especially when there is a bus but in our own rink we seem scared what someone might think. On alot of those bus trips we were louder than the opposing rinks fans. We can do it and make noise but the noise seems to have dissappeared. Where has section L gone? Maybe noise makers should be aloud back in the arena and yes i noticed Charlie Horse no longer bangs on the glass or jumps on top the glass. Was he told to quit? Maybe tickets should be given to teams from minor hockey and put them all in one section with their uniforms on. Do give aways of tickets to schools and ask security to let them make noise. There doesn't appear to be as many kids at the games as before and they are the future fans.

Scout

Flathead
12-03-2007, 07:32 AM
This is kinda the point I was making. Thanks wardog. The league could care less about small market teams. Ask the marketing guys what the difference in league marketing dollars are between Swift and Calgary. We end up with like 2% of the Leauge Sponsors. Those ones want their money spent in the big markets. Its a bloody shame. Sidenote to Flathead about the PA announcements...the team sells those annoying announcements to the sponsors. They may seem annoying but the team needs them right now. The team needs all of us Right now.
I'm well aware that the team sells those annoying announcements, but they don't help sell an atmosphere, something that is needed to keep fans coming to the rink and to help the team play better as well. The players feed off of a rowdy, loud crowd, we have the opposite. Read them at intermission. Just an idea.?

Flathead
12-03-2007, 07:41 AM
I was part of the bus crew that all sat together in section A and we were loud and it was a great promo. We seem way louder in other teams rinks especially when there is a bus but in our own rink we seem scared what someone might think. On alot of those bus trips we were louder than the opposing rinks fans. We can do it and make noise but the noise seems to have dissappeared. Where has section L gone? Maybe noise makers should be aloud back in the arena and yes i noticed Charlie Horse no longer bangs on the glass or jumps on top the glass. Was he told to quit? Maybe tickets should be given to teams from minor hockey and put them all in one section with their uniforms on. Do give aways of tickets to schools and ask security to let them make noise. There doesn't appear to be as many kids at the games as before and they are the future fans.

Scout
I was thinking the same thing about the kids, they are the fans of the future. I have a cousin that doesn't come to the games anymore because she says they're boring!! When I was kid going to a hockey game was the highlight of my young life! But when your not allowed to be a kid and get harassed by security, I can see why I might have lost interest and stayed home as well. Let's bring some noise back to the rink, I like my Broncos hockey and I know that I'm doing my part as a noise maker. lol.

Broncs in RD
12-03-2007, 07:43 AM
How about getting a enforcer so at the start of the first period he can dance and get the fans into it right off the start? Like a Milne, Thompson, Tidbal, Arbez a true character guy. Open up the budget to do more and exciting things for promo's, but remember promos are only good for intermisions, so what is the point of getting people going during intermissions. It all starts with what happens on the ice, that is what fans respond to best. If the case is that people will make more noise during a game to get a free puck or burger then something is seriously wrong, why are people so frugile and tight in this city. (I am not sayng everyone is this way, but alot of our senior citizen fans are this way and alot of them do have season tickets, the board usually sides with them as well)

penman
12-03-2007, 08:29 AM
First of all the time frame you mentioned was 15 to 20 years ago.Also marketing does play a roll in winning as does all aspects of running a franchise or any bussiness It is thinking like that which becomes dangerous and very very old school,say you are not on the board are you??/

Scout
12-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Are you asking me if i'm on the board or another poster? If the question was for me, no i am not on the board just a fan like the rest of you.

Scout

Toswammi
12-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Scout

The ppl of section L have disbanded. The majority sit in I now.
Yes the horse isnt allowed to bang/jump on the glass anymore (and a few other things). I believe we can thank the city for that one.
Lastly give tickets to the kids/hockey teams, I had the suspicion of this, but after bringing one with my last game, they spend more at the concession than on a ticket.

ointhecreek
12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Are you asking me if i'm on the board or another poster? If the question was for me, no i am not on the board just a fan like the rest of you.

Scout
Going by the top of his message I believe he was talking to stick boy.

Believer
12-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I have been reading the comments back and forth about this for the last little while and thought i'd wiegh in on it as well. It is kind of funny how the fans, and everyone really look at picking at something once the Broncos head south a bit in the standings.
I too have been waiting for the..."fire the coach" call because they've lost so much lately.
The funny thing is that if you look at the Broncos fan base...the ones who come to the games time and time again..it is aging. Even in the past couple of years, the Broncos have introduced new ideas and promotions to try and make the game a fun place to be. The younger fans love it when Charlie jumps on the boards, or you make a fool out of someone on the ice by dressing them up in a burger suit (etc.). The older fans like to clap their hands to "Thank God i'm a country boy" or yell at the coach and the ref no matter what is going on in the game. If you play too much dance music or hard rock, you get complaints, if you play too much country , you get complaints. it wouldn't matter much WHAT the marketing dept. does to try and make it a fun time (which I agree they have to do what they CAN to keep it fun).
The Broncos sat in first place......fans sat on their hands in the rink......the Broncos made SWEET goals.....fans stood, cheered, and then sat on their hands.....
you can talk about attendance all you want......but the numbers include season tickets that have been sold, plus walk ups...plus game night staff i think.....you count the ACTUAL bodies in the arena and I GAURANTEE it doesn't match.
So what do you do? Drop prices? nope, lose money!
hold big events and game night promos? maybe....but would take A LOT of time and patience (not to mention money) and may or may not have an effect.
realize that the community is SMALL? ( well there's a start !)
another.....hey, all of you saying things need to be done .....BRING AFRIEND OR TWO to the game ! one that normally doesn't go
another....all of you who gripe and complain that something needs to be done......cheer ! not just when the score...but start the wave,a chant, anything, and keep trying...fun is catchy !!!! ask the Riders !
for years the Riders have SUCKED !! but fans go and have fun ! I have been to the rider games and they do pretty much NOTHING to get the fans excited...they do it themselves and it eventually catches fever.
be a leader....not a complainer ! Jordan and Tracey have to be in suits for the games...so they aren't really allowed to start the Go Broncos Go chant !
Stop making fun of the guys who sit behind the Broncos bench who DO cheer! STOP looking at them like they are from Mars and join in !!!!

I've gone on much too long, and could add and add and add.......but the point is, don't blame one guy...blame all yourselves....everyone hides on this site and gives their opinion but what do you really go out and do to change things? I give Jon props for saying " i'm Jon Keen, and this is what I think" ..whether he's right or wrong is irrelevent.

Son of a Preacher Man
12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
You made some very good points here Believer. I agree the marketing people are not to blame for this but the fans themselves. One thing that i don't like is if the kids make any type of noise or are jittery, the seurity guys are all over them telling them to sit down. Lighten up and let the kids make noise and have fun.

transplantedbronco
12-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Well I said I was done but with this current argument going on I have to come out of retirement for a short while. Some very good points have been made here. Some very harsh statements as well. When someone works close with the team I dont feel the internet is the right place for the comments made about the atmosphere of our Rink. Whether intentionally or not ( and i doubt it was done intentionally) some feel they were directed towards the marketing dept. I know it does not say that but what other conlculsion do we take? But that is just my opionon Should we be debating what we need to improve. Yes.

I used to stand behind the visitors net and cheer till i could not speak the next day. Lost my voice on probably 32 out of 36 home games. Me and my buddies were treated like we were outkasts for it. Thats why we stopped. I got tired of the stares and rolling eyes. We have to ecourage people esp young people to have a good time. We have a great team and a great office staff who all need our support right now. They cant do everything themselves, they are only human. LETS GET OUT THERE ON TUESDAY AND MAKE SOME NOISE. ITS TIME FOR THE LEAGUE TO FEAR THE BUTTERFLY ( sorry switz I had to steal that line )

Believer
12-03-2007, 03:40 PM
agrees "Transplanted" but what has happened is that they got to you....the fans that get "upset" over cheering that is. More people need the Dave Meyers attitude (hats off to this guy and his crew as well) who go to the game and are loud and proud and do not really care what people think. But that is what happens, people give up as they are tired of being looked at. THAT there is the small town mentality here is Swifty. It is a great place to live and great place for a family, but it hasn't changed it's ways in years! and most likely won't unless a bunch of younger people ( by that I mean the under 40 crowd) start livin a little at these games. Then, at least if the team gets blown out one night, WHO CARES!!!!! We had fun !!! the players feed off of the energy...which...in turn...they starve from the lack of it.
I don't care what people say....it IS NOT going to get more lively in that rink just cause the team is winnign. THey HAVE been winning, and quite frankly are still well in the hunt for first ! It's up to the fans to take this team in their hearts and get behind them. Cheer. Cheer loud...and cheer often.
Back to the marketing dept.....they can do all they can with the money they are given, it still isn't going to change the older crowds ! There has been a few good things over the past years.....the light show, the air cannon, the expansion, the beer in tha stands....beer girls! ( wait, they're gone :( ) . and when the expansion is done i'm sure the broncos marketing dept will get back to putting on a show. Maybe it's time the town (yeah I said town) starts yelling at the powers that be to get the rink done. ! I haven't been to a game for a bit but I assume the renos are still sorta have way finished (sorry if i'm wrong) . Then at least the light show, goal lights adn fog machines can be used again.

Toswammi
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
For the love of god, no wave....I hate the wave

transplantedbronco
12-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I wish I could have said I dont care, but when you are older and you get into business all that has an effect. Its sad to say but for business sake I had to change a bit and maybe I changed to far. I still do my part and maybe I should do more. We need all of us to get into the game. We need a noise maker night. Who cares what the other people think. Actually scrap that every night will be noise maker night for this guy. Security wont be able to take it out of my hands.

And if all goes well all the renos can be near done by the time we get back to hockey on DEC 28. They seem to have halted recently. After XMAS break it can be a fresh start for everyone.

ki17
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=SuckItUp]. The league could care less about small market teams. Ask the marketing guys what the difference in league marketing dollars are between Swift and Calgary. We end up with like 2% of the Leauge Sponsors. QUOTE]
Just out of curiousity how do you know they only get 2% of League Sponsorship monies. Lets see the stats.
Look at the big picture here - some teams don't have big budgets to do anything at all, some of large (obviously the bigger markets have more money, but some teams aren't given a budget to do anything with.
Like the saying of everyone is a ref, everyone also thinks they know how to do other peoples jobs better than the people doing them but unless you know the entire situation and working environment and the restraints on them you really have nothing to say.
I agree the Jon stepping over the line to a degree - it could have been written better and come across much more friendly instead of attacking the Marketing Dept when you don't know fulling what is going on behind the doors.

And if there is this much discussion then I ask: as a fan, what are you doing at the game? or are you the 'silent' fan that just sits there and nothing anyone can do can get you out of your seat and make you cheer?

Just my two cents.

2,5,andagame
12-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree with you believer, everybody needs to pull together to improve. It's nobodies fault but everybodies problem. I love how this got into a trash Keen because his words got twisted into trashing the marketing dept.

While on the subject of marketing, I think they need to do more to sell the team. With this day of new technology, the website needs an overhaul. Check out this link http://www.scbroncos.com/sponsors/sponsoropps.php (or main page --> Marketing Options) Nyhagen has been gone since March. With sattelite, mp3s and streaming radio not alot of people listen to local radio anymore, and I couldn't tell you how many read the local papers. The website is one tool that most people have access to, especially the younger target audience which they need to pull in, and it is already set up so it shouldn't cost more money to update it.

d-man
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
If you want the i-plex to be a tough rink for the opposition to come into it starts with the fans. The talent is on the ice this season the guys need to feed off the energy of the fans. How do you get butts in the seats? What keeps people away from the rink? I have heard this time and time again and have even heard Moberg address it. People say they love the team and they are big supporters and listen to every game on the radio. Yep even all the home games! At home! Gee thanks for being there.
No knock on Keen and Switzer but anyone ever think that broadcasting home games when the rink is empty, has no atmosphere, etc. isn't exactly helping the cause. The Eagle does a great job but at what expense. Let's say even 100 people stay home each game that's a potential $1600 lost in ticket sales.
Over 36 homes games that could amount to $57,600. What does the Eagle pay for broadcast rights?
Perhaps the organization takes away a "free" alternative to attending the game and forces some of those butts into the seats.

SuckItUp
12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=SuckItUp]. The league could care less about small market teams. Ask the marketing guys what the difference in league marketing dollars are between Swift and Calgary. We end up with like 2% of the Leauge Sponsors. QUOTE]
Just out of curiousity how do you know they only get 2% of League Sponsorship monies. Lets see the stats.

Like I said talk to any marketing person in ANY of the small market team and the money is not spread evenly. I cant show you the stats as the league office will not publish them. The person I talked to works with a team in the US. But ask our marketing dept and I know they will tell you the same. 2% for us might be high. And you ask what do I do at games. Well I can tell you I cheer as much as I can whether the people around me like it or not. Could care less what they think

Flathead
12-05-2007, 07:44 AM
If you want the i-plex to be a tough rink for the opposition to come into it starts with the fans. The talent is on the ice this season the guys need to feed off the energy of the fans. How do you get butts in the seats? What keeps people away from the rink? I have heard this time and time again and have even heard Moberg address it. People say they love the team and they are big supporters and listen to every game on the radio. Yep even all the home games! At home! Gee thanks for being there.
No knock on Keen and Switzer but anyone ever think that broadcasting home games when the rink is empty, has no atmosphere, etc. isn't exactly helping the cause. The Eagle does a great job but at what expense. Let's say even 100 people stay home each game that's a potential $1600 lost in ticket sales.
Over 36 homes games that could amount to $57,600. What does the Eagle pay for broadcast rights?
Perhaps the organization takes away a "free" alternative to attending the game and forces some of those butts into the seats.
How do you get people into the seats? How about this? You have 800, to 1000 empty seats every game, your not making any money off of those seats anyway, zero, zilch, notta. Why not have it that if you have a full price ticket you can bring a friend for a discounted price, and at least make something off of the empty seats. I think ticket prices are at a fair price, but what I still keep hearing is that it's too expensive for some, especially if you want to bring a family and are coming from out of town. I don't know, just a thought.?

Believer
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
nice idea, but I think things like that have been tried. Maybe just have a kick butt family price. for two adults and "X" number of children. and THEN have them sit in a family zone. make it the zone to be in. give them a special instand every game, or prizes, or something. It would go slow at the start, but target the prizes toweards the kids and it may grow !

dubnut
12-05-2007, 12:30 PM
If you want the i-plex to be a tough rink for the opposition to come into it starts with the fans. The talent is on the ice this season the guys need to feed off the energy of the fans.

It has been interesting to read your comments from who's fault whatever is to fan support. I will say this from having a friend's son playing in the WHL in the past and following his game. There are no tougher teams to play than teams who have fantastic fan bases! Absolutely nothing puts the fear of God into players than going into 'hostile' rinks. And this is a positive for the opposing team as well as they go in there with a lot of determination to prove 4,000+ fans wrong and put them to shame. Not enough can be said for seats being filled on game nights for the home team and the away team and it makes for a much better game. Atmosphere does so much!!

I would agree, don't blame marketing! Who owns your team? They are the ones who make those kind of decisions. And I also agree, it's not the perks that should bring you to a game. Infact I enjoy nothing more than a little peace and quiet during intermission to chat with the folks I came with. My fun comes from seeing the kids play hard and do battle, not from some rubber burger patties slapping on the ice.

Believer
12-05-2007, 12:41 PM
agreed as well. The "I-Plex" used to be one of the toughest, loudest rinks to play in in thw WHL (from what I've heard) and it has changed. big reason why.....because the fans are aging. Same fans, but older. Loud rink 20 years ago...not so much now.
Yeah, you should be able to visit a bit during intermission....but that is the time to "visit"! The team shouldn't be getting complaints about noise during play because they can't quietly gripe to their neighbor about the reffing situation. or the weather, or the crops, or the kids at the rink, whatever is on the menu to complain about that particular evening.
You need a mix. fun for the young and "whatever" for the old. ( good luck coming up with the "whatever"), unless you have "moment of silence night" :)
but they also have to smarten up and realize that everyone has fun in different ways (the fans that is) . and honestly, can anyone sit here and disagree with me that it isn't a crime to cheer "other" than when the get a goal?
point is, after all this....I think that the rink and the atmosphere are doomed to be just what it is. because I can't see the demographics changes rapidly any time soon.
If I was the marketing gang, I would focus on the youth now and try to bring them along over the years to rebuild that base. BUT, like in the past, I don't see this marketing group having the patience to weather THAT amount of time either. They will most likely move on to bigger things. ( or bigger markets!)

Toswammi
12-05-2007, 04:12 PM
When i was in elementary school, i remember getting free tickets every so often. What happened to them giving out free tickets (or something to exchange at the door) to the young kids (forcing them to bring parents, and spending too much money at the concession?
Unlike most ppl, i quite enjoy hoards of screaming school children running around the building.

Believer
12-05-2007, 04:16 PM
AND...funny thing about kids now adays....they have money to spend...so why not let them spend it at the Bronco concession.