PDA

View Full Version : Everett/Giants

Priceisright
12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Yikes. I haven't seen a game that dominating for one team in a long long time. The Giants really had a jump in their step tonite and I have no idea why Everett even showed up. Their defence was horrible and so was their offence.

Hope Repik is ok? Any word?

old_time_hockey
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Repik knew where he was and that Cory Cameron was attending to him. So that is a plus.

Crowley needs to remember that payback can be a biatch. Totally uncalled for at that point in the game. If you wanted to show up, try the first period. He better get more than the manditory 1 game for the 5 and GM.

Speaking of Biatch, notice #12 never was put out there after the incident? Cry baby can't take care of himself? But yet Hamill is not as valued I guess because he got shifts. If the Giants were just looking to take a cheap shot at someone Hamill would have fit the bill.

WTG Czibere on netting that goal. Lets hope this is the first of many. And what a sick backhand by Kane for his second goal. So quick with his hands.

Giants_24
12-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Repik knew where he was and that Cory Cameron was attending to him. So that is a plus.

Thanks for the update. If anyone gets information, keeps us posted. :)

That hit was crap though. It's 6-0, you aren't playing to win a hockey game at that point. Like old_time_hockey said, he better get more than 1 game. Could any of this have to do with the hip-check Repik put on Beach?

Did anyone else see Biatch in warmup and pre-anthems? Warmup he stood at the red line yelling remarks at the giants. Then when Machacek got his award, as he skated by the Everett starting line, Beatch said some words to him.

The two first fights of the game, how were there not instigators called? Beach had his gloves off before the whistle blew, then Everett pulled a Medicine Hat and switched players to fight Hunt.

Overall the Giants played textbook Giants hockey and put on a clinic tonight. Everett was the usual Everett with the cheap-shots, mouthing off, and a complete mess tonight.

Outstanding play by Kane tonight. Its nice to see Czibere and the red light coming back a bit. Also Nunn looked awesome out there, he fit right in, far better than anyone has in their first game before (except for maybe Bouma a couple years ago).

Kassian
12-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Speaking of Biatch, notice #12 never was put out there after the incident? Cry baby can't take care of himself?

Beach wasn't even on the bench for the 3rd period. In fact I don't believe he played most of the 2nd period either. It looked like he may have hurt his hand earlier in the game.

Priceisright
12-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Hmm I was wondering about Beach as well. I never saw him much in the second or third periods.

As for the hit, I was pretty much in the opposite end of the rink but wasn't that a clean hit? Repik seemed to have his head down then all of sudden came up and WHAM.?

Anyone closer to the hit?

And hmmm did the referee really call that "5 min for interference"??? LOL that's a new penalty? I don't even think there is such penalty in any hockey league in the world????

old_time_hockey
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Happened in my end of the rink.

If he had of kept his arms down, that is fair game. But the fact that his arms came up even before contact, he knew what he was trying to do. If he didn't get him with the elbow it was for sure a forearm and to the head.

Priceisright
12-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Awww ok :) thanks for the upclose view. Boogaard'd Most importantly I hope he is ok. Very scary for him I am sure.

Giantsfan
12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Is it true that Repik has a broken ear drum?

dondo
12-02-2007, 03:10 PM

If he had of kept his arms down, that is fair game. But the fact that his arms came up even before contact, he knew what he was trying to do. If he didn't get him with the elbow it was for sure a forearm and to the head.

from the sounds of it it was shoulder to the head of Repik who knows better and should have had his head up and not watching his pass. From my perspective, although I did not see it happen as I was watching the puck come out front, and I barely caught the replay on the Screen which they showed once and the reaction from the crowd was so visceral that they dared not show it again.

you know OTH had it been a forearm or an elbow they would have classed it as such, but the fact that it was 5 min major for interference leads me to believe that it was a clean check and the officials had to call something to calm down the crowd in a game the result of which with 1:15 left to play was not in question.

read the recap folks I address this issue -- sorry it was late, but I was working 'til the wee hours last night.

edit: hey Kassian where's the video on this one :confused: :thumb:

Beaner
12-02-2007, 03:16 PM

From my view of the rink it looked like a shoulder to the head. Repik had his head turned and got smoked.

Beach wasn't even on the bench for the 3rd period. In fact I don't believe he played most of the 2nd period either. It looked like he may have hurt his hand earlier in the game.

Beach was icing down his hand after the Fight, obviously did a little damage with it on Machaceks face, then later in the first he took a puck off the same hand which he was then favoring for the rest of that shift. More than likely a hand injury.

Gendur also left the game in the third, not sure what happened to him, but he smacked the dasher at the bench pretty hard in frustration.

Swando
12-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Unfortunetly I could not make it to the game but watched a great internet feed from the PNE with Joey announcing. They showed the hit a few times and it was a clean but uncalled for hit imo. Repik got a little fancy watching his pass and with his angle of swooping around the net he was lower. Gendur hit him straight on ---and did not bring up his elbow. A big blow to the Giants.

scrunt
12-02-2007, 04:07 PM
...the officials had to call something to calm down the crowd in a game the result of which with 1:15 left to play was not in question.

Actually it was 1:15 into the third http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I suppose the 5 min for interference can be interpreted as a late but clean hit - so no charging/elbowing/boarding call, but interference for the lateness, and 5 min for the severity of the contact.

dondo
12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
oh bugger..

you are correct -- I am on the crack again -- d'oh

Priceisright
12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Actually it was 1:15 into the third http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I suppose the 5 min for interference can be interpreted as a late but clean hit - so no charging/elbowing/boarding call, but interference for the lateness, and 5 min for the severity of the contact.

Like tonights game Giants and Winterhawks. I have never heard of 4 minutes for boarding penalty in my life and I have watched a lot of hockey.

Can the refs just randomly make up penalty names/calls or is their a book that explains penalty calls.

Strange call in the Giants game in my opinion.

dondo
12-03-2007, 12:21 AM
actually I thought it might be a major penalty -- but I have seen a double minor called on a check from behind quite a few times.

They can double it when they perceive it to be deliberate and avoidable, and will usually give a major for penalty which is an intent to injure. The hit as I saw it had manning in a dumb position, but not with his back completely to the play. I think that Sjodin could have shifted a bit and taken the hit shoulder to shoulder, but he pretty much deliberately hit him on the numbers which is why it was a double minor.

Manning was injured on the play, his arm according to Hay and the same kind of injury which kept him out of the line-up at the start of the season.

Scrunt was saying that it should have been a 5 min and two minutes to Manning for putting himself in such a dumb position and I agree with that. Somehow we have got to stop these players from making themselves deliberately vulnerable and maybe a start is to punish their team with a penalty for deliberately making themselves a helpless target.

Priceisright
12-03-2007, 12:35 AM
actually I thought it might be a major penalty -- but I have seen a double minor called on a check from behind quite a few times.

They can double it when they perceive it to be deliberate and avoidable, and will usually give a major for penalty which is an intent to injure. The hit as I saw it had manning in a dumb position, but not with his back completely to the play. I think that Sjodin could have shifted a bit and taken the hit shoulder to shoulder, but he pretty much deliberately hit him on the numbers which is why it was a double minor.

Manning was injured on the play, his arm according to Hay and the same kind of injury which kept him out of the line-up at the start of the season.

Scrunt was saying that it should have been a 5 min and two minutes to Manning for putting himself in such a dumb position and I agree with that. Somehow we have got to stop these players from making themselves deliberately vulnerable and maybe a start is to punish their team with a penalty for deliberately making themselves a helpless target.

to be honest from the game I saw tonight there were many questionable hits in my opinion. someone is going to get seriously hurt. there is no respect out there! i realize these are kids but I really think theres no respect and thats leading to this stuff *sigh*

dondo
12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
There's that and the fact that a whole generation of players have learned (thanks to Bettman and his complete mis-management of the game), that if you turn your back to the play "you can't get hit"

What seemed like a good idea at the time (the stop sign on the back) has become an insidious infiltrator and has taught players to put themselves into vulnerable positions. Combine that with the armor for "padding" and not teaching kids how to properly take a hit and you have an epidemic being lead by the players themselves.

the only real solution is to re-educate players that not only can they get hit they can get seriously hurt putting themselves into vulnerable positions on the ice. Hopefully it doesn't take the player getting seriously hurt to learn this lesson. Do you think that Patrice Bergeron is going to go into a corner like ever again? I think not. At least I hope not, but the mindless stupidity of humans never ceases to amaze me so you never know.

Redwic
12-03-2007, 02:23 PM
1) The English/Hunt altercation looked like it was going to Vartovnik/Hunt, first. Vartovnik and Hunt lined up for a face off and exchanged a few words, but the officials noticed. Then English swapped with Vartovnik, and took it upon himself to fight with Hunt.

2) Speaking of Eric English, he's a waste of a roster spot. A 19-year old rookie who brings little to the table (ice). I personally wish that we would call-up & develop a 16-year old or 17-year old rookie in his place, so that we can get some experience established. I just hope that English doesn't become our team's version of Garth Collins. Ugh.

3) It sounds like Beach injured his hand after the fight with Machacek, as he was seen having it iced-down shortly thereafter. Then it sounds like he may have taken a puck-shot to that same hand during a penalty kill later on. I don't believe that he played at all in the Third Period.

4) It also sounds like Gendur left the game due to injury. Some fans saw him with a glove off; perhaps a hand injury?
By the way, Swando, it was *not* Gendur who hit Repik; it was Crowley.

5) Speaking of Crowley, I wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended for one game. But in this league, not much would surprise me in terms of suspensions (or lack thereof).

6) I wish Repik a speedy & full recovery.

7) Dominant performance by the Giants. Well-deserved win.

8) I remember hearing several analysts suggesting that this would be a down-season for the Giants. I guess that the Giants didn't get the memo. :-)

9) Conversely, one of the worst & uninspired defeats ever in Silvertips history. Things in Everett just aren't clicking this season, at least not yet, which is mind-boggling considering the amount of talent still on the team from last season's squad.

10) Many Silvertips fans are already calling for Becanic's head... I, for one, have not been impressed by his coaching but am willing to endure it a little longer. We have a bunch of undisciplined individuals, not a TEAM at the moment.

dondo
12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
thanks redwic -- Crowley's hit appeared clean by the current books, but he'll probably get one game for the GM misconduct -- 5 for interference is certainly creative though.

As far as the game goes I was pretty shocked to see us dominate like that and equally shocked to see the once all on the same page Silvertips reading different books, in different libraries in different countries -- same page didn't even enter into it.

But these games happen to teams sometimes and I know the Tips may be having troubles but they are better than what I saw out there on Saturday.

Giantsfan
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
That game should've been the game to settle the score from the first game in Everett this season but for whatever reason the boys didn't feel it necessary to give some of the softer Tips a beating in a blowout game. Too bad Beach got "hurt", or maybe he got the Giant's flu in the 3rd.

It was great to see the look on the Everett fans who came out to watch "their" team. For years they've come here gloating about how good their team has been & many times Everett skates out with some lame OT or SO goal after the Giants dominated them all night.

I find many Tip's fans arrogant & obnoxious. Maybe they've come down to earth a little since "their" team has done squat in the playoffs since Everett's first season when they went to the WHL Final.

Redwic
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I find many Tip's fans arrogant & obnoxious. Maybe they've come down to earth a little since "their" team has done squat in the playoffs since Everett's first season when they went to the WHL Final.

It's unfortunate if you truly believe those things. First, most Silvertips fans are quite pleasant, and treat opposing fans (even Vancouver fans) with a lot of respect both in Everett or at away games. The most arrogant and obnoxious WHL fans that I have personally ever met have been in Vancouver and Seattle. But with that said, I have met *even more* great fans from those places. I understand that there are always a few bad apples, but there aren't as many arrogant and obnoxious Silvertips fans as you implied.
------------

In relation to your other point, just because the Silvertips have not been able to reach the WHL Final since their inaugural season doesn't at all indicate that they have been a total flop the past three playoffs since then, as you implied with your statement.

TRIVIA:
During the past three seasons, how many teams have appeared in the playoffs all three seasons (not including Chilliwack, which had its first season only last season but still made it to the playoffs)?
Answer: 8 (Brandon, Calgary, Medicine Hat, Kootenay, Vancouver, Everett, Seattle, Tri-City). Only ~40% of the entire WHL.

Of those teams which made it to the playoffs all three seasons, how many made it out of the First Round each season?
Answer: 3 (Calgary, Medicine Hat, Everett).

Of those teams which made it to the playoffs all three seasons, how many won their division two or more times?
Answer: 4 (Medicine Hat-3 times, Vancouver-2 times, Brandon-2 times, Everett-2 times).

Of those four teams during that time, which team(s) were Regular Season Champions at least once?
Answer: 2 (Medicine Hat, Everett).

Of those four teams during that time, each team went to its respective Conference Final at least once but only Everett did not appear in a WHL Final.
------------

What does this all mean?
Answer: It means that the most successful teams in the WHL, overall, during the past three seasons, including playoffs, have been Vancouver (#1), Medicine Hat (#2), Everett (#3), Brandon (#4), and Calgary (#5).

I would hardly consider that doing "squat" during those three seasons (including playoffs).

GF71
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
It's unfortunate if you truly believe those things. First, most Silvertips fans are quite pleasant, and treat opposing fans (even Vancouver fans) with a lot of respect both in Everett or at away games. The most arrogant and obnoxious WHL fans that I have personally ever met have been in Vancouver and Seattle. But with that said, I have met *even more* great fans from those places. I understand that there are always a few bad apples, but there aren't as many arrogant and obnoxious Silvertips fans as you implied.
------------

In relation to your other point, just because the Silvertips have not been able to reach the WHL Final since their inaugural season doesn't at all indicate that they have been a total flop the past three playoffs since then, as you implied with your statement.

TRIVIA:
During the past three seasons, how many teams have appeared in the playoffs all three seasons (not including Chilliwack, which had its first season only last season but still made it to the playoffs)?
Answer: 8 (Brandon, Calgary, Medicine Hat, Kootenay, Vancouver, Everett, Seattle, Tri-City). Only ~40% of the entire WHL.

Of those teams which made it to the playoffs all three seasons, how many made it out of the First Round each season?
Answer: 3 (Calgary, Medicine Hat, Everett).

Of those teams which made it to the playoffs all three seasons, how many won their division two or more times?
Answer: 4 (Medicine Hat-3 times, Vancouver-2 times, Brandon-2 times, Everett-2 times).

Of those four teams during that time, which team(s) were Regular Season Champions at least once?
Answer: 2 (Medicine Hat, Everett).

Of those four teams during that time, each team went to its respective Conference Final at least once but only Everett did not appear in a WHL Final.
------------

What does this all mean?
Answer: It means that the most successful teams in the WHL, overall, during the past three seasons, including playoffs, have been Vancouver (#1), Medicine Hat (#2), Everett (#3), Brandon (#4), and Calgary (#5).

I would hardly consider that doing "squat" during those three seasons (including playoffs).

OUCH. schooled! lol

ihlemic10
12-04-2007, 03:33 PM
That game should've been the game to settle the score from the first game in Everett this season but for whatever reason the boys didn't feel it necessary to give some of the softer Tips a beating in a blowout game. Too bad Beach got "hurt", or maybe he got the Giant's flu in the 3rd.

It was great to see the look on the Everett fans who came out to watch "their" team. For years they've come here gloating about how good their team has been & many times Everett skates out with some lame OT or SO goal after the Giants dominated them all night.

It has been on the WHL site that Beach has a lower body injury for a few days before the game. If you watched his skating you notice it was something to do with a joint as his skating stride was slower and looked like it hurt.

There have been giants fans in the past who have done the same gloating before in our rink so please do not act innocent. They did this after a one goal game. I do want to compliment the Giants fanbase becuase they could have been alot worse at the game then they were. Hopefully the next time we play you, the Silvertips play and not the Winterhawks :clown:

sman111
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Gotta say guy that I went down to the last game in Everett and there fans were really respectful and during the whole night I had only one person come up and talk smack so I disagree with that, if you go down to a game there and you wear your jersey they come up and welcome you to the rink and thank you for coming. Its alot better then what I see some of our fans do to the visiting teams fans but having said that you gotta expect some razing if your in the other teams barn.

GF71
12-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Gotta say guy that I went down to the last game in Everett and there fans were really respectful and during the whole night I had only one person come up and talk smack so I disagree with that, if you go down to a game there and you wear your jersey they come up and welcome you to the rink and thank you for coming. Its alot better then what I see some of our fans do to the visiting teams fans but having said that you gotta expect some razing if your in the other teams barn.

You are correct. Most fans in Everett have been pretty cool to us, but we have had to deal with the odd a-hole down there too. I guess my point is, there are good and bad fans in every rink...we have some real beauties...but one shouldn't paint an entire fandom based on the bad apples. :thumb:

dondo
12-04-2007, 08:17 PM

Um you're last couple of posts have been way off base -- maybe watch the game most closely or get some facts straight before you spout off.

Sure we all need to spout off sometimes, but the Tips fans I have encountered have been good fans for the most part. I would say that I believe that a good deal of them still don't know the game, but they are getting better.

Beatch (and he is not one of my favorite players by any stretch) hurt his hand in the fight with Machacek and then its said the same hand got hit with a puck later.

The Tips hurt themselves in the game, so there was no need to go farther than we did -- 7-0 blowout and you want more? I'm curious ...were you one of the "fans" who was heckling the hapless back-up when he was down 5-0, 6-0 and 7-0 cause for me that's poor sportsmanship.

As is chanting "warm-up the bus" at the end of the second period. Mildly amusing but over the top -- I would have been fuming had I been in their barn and we were down by that score and they chanted that at my team.

Don't get me wrong I love heckling goalies, but not when we are totally dominating them I prefer it when its a close game and there's a reason to heckle them.

I also love beating the Tips, but I think 7-0 is enough of a drubbing to send the message considering they mostly did it to themselves.

Redwic
12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
The Silvertips need to get used to those blowouts, since they are predicted (and on pace) to become next season's Portland... *sigh*

dubnut
12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I have to disagree with the negative comments on Tips fans. On the ocassions that we have been at the game, they have been nothing but polite even though several in our party were wearing opposing team jerseys. At one game we stood in line for a long time outside and a number of Tips fans came up to us and began asking us about our team, etc. We still talk about the difference in response from the fans there compared to the indifference and cold shoulder in some rinks. Most rinks have friendly fans but none of the rinks we have been to so far have been as friendly and hospitable as the Everett crowd. Plus we loved their whole hearted support of their team. Don't see that in every rink either. In some of them you can almost hear a pin drop.