PDA

View Full Version : Slumping Broncos Loose To Wheatkings

Scout
12-02-2007, 07:25 AM
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos lost their fifth game in six outings 4-2 to the Brandon Wheat Kings on Saturday night at the Credit Union iplex.

The slumping Broncos, playing without five regulars due to injury, fell behind 2-0 in the first period and failed in their comeback bid.

The Broncos played without injured defensemen Ryan Molle and Spencer McAvoy as well as forwards Cody Eakin, Matt Tassone, and Mike Brown. 15-year-old defenseman Taylor Ernst skated a few shifts at forward to spell some of the regulars.

The Wheat Kings took over sole possession of second place in the East Division with
goals from Matt Lowry, Daniel Bartek, Brayden Schenn, and Tyler Dittmer with his team leading 21st of the season.

Swift Current was led by a two-goal performance from Levi Nelson, the first of which prompted hundreds of teddy bears to be thrown onto the ice as part of their annual Teddy Bear Toss promotion that will see the bears donated to the Salvation Army.

Last year Zack Smith scored 8:54 into the contest to begin the Teddy bear Toss in a 3-2 win over the Regina Pats on Dec. 3rd.

The red-hot Nelson has now tallied 11 points in his past seven games and has 13 goals and 17 assists in 26 games this season.

Brandon netminder Joe Caligiuri collected his 15th win of the season with a 24-save performance. Swift Current goaltender Travis Yonkman took the loss after yielding four goals on 25 shots.

Broncos forward Dale Weise explained the mood of the team following another loss.

“It is frustrating; yesterday we didn’t deserve to win. We have to realize that we have got to come out with a little bit better starts. Today I am sure Yonks would like to have a few of the goals back but you can’t blame him. I thought he made some big saves to keep us in it. It’s frustrating right now, I thought we played well enough to win, but we didn’t get the end result so I guess it is back to the drawing board for Tuesday.”

Weise made his biggest contribution with a bone-jarring hit on Scott Glennie that sent him to the dressing room.

“I seen the defense ring the puck around and I was just trying to get in on the forecheck, I was the high man. I seen him looking back and kind of had the one-hander going so I knew it was lights out from there.”

The hit prompted a scrap with 16-year-old Brayden Schenn.

“Well normally I wouldn’t have problem with it but he was a 16-year-old and I really don’t like fighting 16 and 17-year-old kids. He challenged me and threw his gloves off and I didn’t really have a choice. I don’t mind fighting but most of the time I like fighting older guys. You gotta do what you gotta do.”

Overage defenseman R.J. LaRochelle explained that frustration is setting in for the Broncos.

“Yeah there is a little bit, you can tell that it is starting to creep in there. Stuff isn’t going our way but we are in control of that. We are not working as hard as we should and we are not doing all the little things that we need to do to win.”

LaRochelle believes that the slumping Broncos can overcome their injury woes.

“I think we just need to keep a positive attitude. We have a lot of guys that can play on the back end and up front. So I think that we are not too worried about it, we just need to keep going.”

The win improves Brandon’s record to 18-9-0-1, two points ahead of Swift Current who falls to 15-10-0-5.

Tuesday the Broncos will host the Red Deer Rebels at the iplex in their final home game before heading west for six games against Kootenay and the five U.S. Division teams.

Triton
12-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Anyone know if Glennie returned to the game following the hit, and if not, any prognosis?

Flathead
12-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Anyone know if Glennie returned to the game following the hit, and if not, any prognosis?
He returned, short shifts.

Johnsy05
12-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Yes he returned... Prognosis - He Plans to keep his head up next time weise is on the ice.

dagley
12-02-2007, 02:48 PM
“Well normally I wouldn’t have problem with it but he was a 16-year-old and I really don’t like fighting 16 and 17-year-old kids"

LOL, that made me laugh. Kid is only 19.

sbtatter
12-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Border line hit by weise as keen said on his broadcast. The thing that bothers me is why didn't Aulie or Boyle who were both on the ice come over and take care of Weise, not leave it up to Schenn. Schenn is too valuable to fight too much, don't want another ryan Stone situation on our hands. It's great that Schenn's got the stones to send a message like this, but lets have Aulie, Boyle, Jeffries, Erb, Yeo, lowry, whoever's on the ice take care of it. One well placed punch and we lose Schenn to concussion, or he hurts his hand punching....

ointhecreek
12-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Border line hit by weise as keen said on his broadcast.
I was listening to the broadcast and I don't recall Jon saying that it was borderline.

sbtatter
12-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I was listening to the broadcast and I don't recall Jon saying that it was borderline.
At 1.18.36 the Swift guys say maybe Kelly Mac wanted a charging call b/c Weise's shoulder did hit Glennies head, and you want to take those head shots out of the game, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Kind of an unclassy move to ring that horn right after the hit whilst play still going. Head shots suck, no matter who you support.

sbtatter
12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
At 1.18.36 the Swift guys say maybe Kelly Mac wanted a charging call b/c Weise's shoulder did hit Glennies head, and you want to take those head shots out of the game, but sometimes it's unavoidable. Kind of an unclassy move to ring that horn right after the hit whilst play still going. Head shots suck, no matter who you support.
Crap i hit submit too soon! So to clarify, Keen did not say it was borderline, he talked about it being a shoulder to head. I've seen that called a charge this season, I think all WK fans will say it's a penalty and all Swift fans will say it isn't, probably think opposite depending on who's player's doing the hitting....

Scout
12-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Keen's Korner

Sunday, December 02, 2007
Wheaties Double Broncos
The Brandon Wheat Kings scored two goals in ten minutes and never relinquished the lead in a 4-2 win over the Broncos last night at the I-plex.

Levi Nelson's goal midway through the opening frame sent the bears on the ice for Teddy Bear Toss Night. A nice give and go with Derek Claffey with Levi finishing off the play in the slot.

Was that not the quickest clean-up ever? A well organized small army took to the ice and picked up all the bears, quickly loaded them into the two trucks and we dropped the puck. I was impressed.

The Wheaties scored a third goal thanks to super rookie Brayden Schenn's 12th of the year five minutes into the 2nd period. Travis Yonkman made a great save on the initial chance from Matt Calvert but Schenn popped home the rebound from mid-air as the Wheaties took a 3-1 lead. Late in the 2nd on the powerplay the Broncos replied with Nelson's 2nd of the night.

The powerplay was from the instigator minor assessed to Brayden Schenn after he challenged Dale Wiese to a boogie following Wiese's thunderous check on Scott Glennie deep in Brandon's territory.

Despite some early third period chances, the Broncos couldn't mount any sustained pressure and Tyler Dittmer's shot from the left wing face-off dot with 2:28 to play gave the Wheaties an insurance marker in the 4-2 win.

The Broncos have now lost five of their last six and are clearly going through a tough time right now as Assistant Coach Tim Kehler pointed out in the post-game show.

Injuries are also a concern. Last night Matt Tassone, Ryan Molle, Cody Eakin, Spencer McAvoy and Mike Brown were all scratched due to injury. It had the Broncos dressing 18 players for the contest. I'm not sure on who will be ready when the Broncos host the Red Deer Rebels Tuesday.

The Broncos then head out on their U.S. swing Thursday starting with a rematch against the Kootenay Ice Friday night in Cranbrook.

penman
12-03-2007, 08:18 AM
I dont know about some of these injuries,do players not play with pain any more?? The game is alot more safer than it was even 4 years ago.It seems there are a handfull of players who are hurt all the time and there not the rugged ones by any stretch.If I am wrong I will say I am sorry but dont think I am or I wouldnt say so.Heres a Piss me off thing and I heard it a few times on Sat. One of our hurt players was running yes running around the rink like a 10 year old with 4 girls at his side laughing showing each other stuff on there cell phones not watching the game and at the end of the game he was in the lobby with his FANS laughing having a great old time with his girls,I dont know but I dont see that and shouldnt see that,as alot of other fans commented on his behavior during and after the game.Maybe the coaches should mention something to some of the players like Tassonne to at least petend to care about the game if you are not in it after all it tis still a team sport isnt it.I realize some of these players are young and not all are as mature as the next one however they decided to play at this level they will have to learn to conduct themselves accordingly.