PDA

View Full Version : Mosienko hones game in Vegas

eecliff
12-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Mosienko hones game in Vegas

By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News - November 30, 2007

Former Kelowna Rockets centre Tyler Mosienko is in his second season with the East Coast Hockey League’s Las Vegas Wranglers.
by Las Vegas Wranglers

From a pure entertainment standpoint, Tyler Mosienko gives a five-star rating to the city of Las Vegas.
And the hockey hasn’t been too bad either.
The Las Vegas Wranglers are among the East Coast Hockey League’s top teams early in the 2007-08 season with the former Kelowna Rockets centre playing a key role.
“We’re winning a lot and obviously you never get bored of that,” said the 5-foot-8, 175 pound native of West St. Paul, Man.
“We’ve got a good organization, a good coaching staff, and a great group of guys here. Obviously I’d like to move on someday to a higher level, but for now it’s a really good place to be playing.”
Heading into Thursday night’s action, the Wranglers boasted a 13-2 record, good for a nine-point lead in the ECHL’s Pacific Division.
Now in his second season in Vegas, Mosienko has five goals and seven assists in 15 games and, like he did in Kelowna, has impressed his coaches with his work ethic and raw desire to play the game.
Those same qualities made him a fan favourite during his five seasons with the Rockets, and they are also what Wranglers’ head coach Glen Gulutzan sees as Mosienko’s biggest assets when it comes to landing a job at a higher level; such as the American Hockey League.
“He’s an extremely smart, hardworking hockey player,” said Gulutzan.
“Being 5-8, it’s not an easy climb for him. He’s a guy that if he gets an opportunity, he can certainly play at that level.
“Being undrafted and a free agent he’s really going to have to battle for it, but the way he competes, he definitely has a chance to get there.”
For Mosienko’s part, he would like nothing more than to join some of his former Kelowna teammates who have made the jump from the ECHL to the AHL in the last season or two, including Troy Bodie, Tyler Spurgeon and Cam Paddock.
“We were pretty much on the same level when we played in Kelowna, so I think there’s chance for me, too,” said Mosienko, who helped the Rockets win the 2004 Memorial Cup.
“Obviously a lot of breaks are involved. I feel like I’m getting better and improving all the time, and I just need to keep working hard. Being around a lot of other guys who want to get better and move on is good for me, too.”
Still, for the time being, Mosienko is enjoying his life in Las Vegas, both on and off ice.
Away from the rink, taking in some live shows and absorbing the nightlife of the world famous Strip are among the highlights for Mosienko.
“Obviously I’m here for hockey, that’s what comes first and you have to have a balance,” he said.
“But there’s always something to do and somewhere to go. I saw Elton John live and I was pretty pumped about that, and I’ve seen Cirque du Soleil, that was pretty cool, too.
“It’s a fun place to be. You’re never bored here, that’s for sure.”
whenderson@kelownacapnews.com