PDA

View Full Version : Sexsmith going to Team Canada Camp

N.W. Bruin
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
(by Joey Kenward-Voice of the Giants )

The Vancouver Giants congratulate goaltender TYSON SEXSMITH on being invited to take part in Hockey Canada’s National Junior Team Selection Camp.

Sexsmith currently leads all Western Hockey League goaltenders in games played (28), minutes played (1655), wins (19), and shut-outs (5). He’s also 2nd in the WHL in goals against average (1.99).

“Tyson has certainly deserved the invite to represent his country on the international stage,” says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. “2007 has been a memorable year for Tyson and we wish him all the best in attempting to play for Canada in the 2008 World Junior Championships.”

Sexsmith is one of 37 players from across the country to take part in the selection camp. The 18 year-old from Priddis, Alberta was a third round pick of the San Jose Sharks in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft (91st overall).

Hockey Canada’s Nationa Junior Team Selection Camp will be held December 10-14 in Calgary, Alberta. For a complete camp roster, click here.

In my opinion Sexsmith might miss the Kamloops game on Sunday and that might be all. He could be back for the back to back with Chilliwack on Friday and Saturday as Team Canada usually has to sets of cuts. They will take the two best goalies (not going by age so it isn't a case of taking a younger guy so they have someone for next season's December tournament). Can't see him beating out two of the others. But it puts him in a good spot to be on the team next season as he will be the only returning camp participant among goalies.

Beaner
12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I have to think this is a we're inviting you this year for next year type thing for Sexsmith.

Congrats to Sexsmith, have a great camp.

Section_Z
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Should be back in time for tomorrow's game in Chilliwack.

Maybe next year....

dondo
12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
yeah I think this invite was more to was to set-up his position for next year, according to some fans who saw him in Calgary he wasn't really stellar in any of his outings, so I don't think Tyson made it tough for them to make the decision.

I'm kind of surprised that Mason got the nod over Irving though. Still don't know enough about Mason to really know, but it sounds like he's been turning heads.

I have to say I'm kind of relieved though as I did not have huge confidence in Barnstable. He's okay, but he really has yet to put together a game where I can imagine future potential for greatness.

If the Giants are going to make another run at the cup they'll need to acquire a steadier back-up imo -- as I still see Tucker not Barnstable as the goalie of the future for the Gs, so the argument that he's getting valuable experience for when he takes over is not really valid in this case.

Arthur Fonzerelli
12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
The Giants have to be looking for another goalkeeper. Tucker is a 16 year old playing in the MML which is dominated by 15 year olds and he is struggling in games against the teams in the top half of the standings. Apparently his attitude is having an affect on his coachability. Tossed from a game last weekend for stick swinging infractions.

GF71
12-14-2007, 04:02 PM
The Giants have to be looking for another goalkeeper. Tucker is a 16 year old playing in the MML which is dominated by 15 year olds and he is struggling in games against the teams in the top half of the standings. Apparently his attitude is having an affect on his coachability. Tossed from a game last weekend for stick swinging infractions.

They have been looking for a goalie since camp. I think they have thier fingers crossed that htey will make it through this year and maybe pick up a Euro in the draft this summer??? If they are going to make a serious run though, they will need to address the back up situation PDQ.

dondo
12-14-2007, 08:30 PM

this I did not know - thanks fonz -- I just remember seeing him shine in camp and preseason. A little disappointing when a 16 yr old starts copping attitude when he's playing in a league the league in which he is eligible.

Section_Z
12-16-2007, 02:11 AM
If PG keeps tanking and Kamloops pick it up a little, maybe we get Cyr at the deadline? 20Y goalie for a third of a season.....cheap cheap..

Kassian
12-16-2007, 03:33 AM
No thanks. I'd rather get a defenseman. Jeff May.

dondo
12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I'd rather get a winger by the name of McArdle :D

Beaner
12-16-2007, 03:44 PM

I'll see your McArdle and raise you a Lucic.

Swando
12-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I see your Lucic and either fold or take Franson!!

rinkrat
12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
They have been looking for a goalie since camp. I think they have thier fingers crossed that htey will make it through this year and maybe pick up a Euro in the draft this summer??? If they are going to make a serious run though, they will need to address the back up situation PDQ.

I read this blog about Red Deers goalie Riemer,sounds like he's available.

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/

More news.....Red Deer has acquired 17 year old prospect goaltender Darcy Kuemper from Spokane for a conditional 2009 7th round bantam pick. The pick is conditional, which means whether Spokane gets anything probably hinges on whether Kuemper makes Red Deer's roster before then.

A curious move on Red Deer's part IMO.....they already have two goalies on their roster and last month they picked up 18 year old David Aime from Prince Albert in a trade for defenceman Zac Stebner. They must be setting up for a trade of starter James Reimer to a contender.

dondo
12-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I'll see your McArdle and raise you a Lucic.

I was under the impression that Lucic was off the table .. okay then I'll raise you a very over-age Brule and Kyle Turris leaving college to join the G-Men

Arthur Fonzerelli
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM

dondo: just another update on Jamie Tucker. Today he was assessed a 10 minute misconduct, a slashing major and pulled from the game by his coach, all before the game was half over. I think that the Giants will have there hands full trying to make this guy into an asset.

old_time_hockey
12-16-2007, 11:44 PM
dondo: just another update on Jamie Tucker. Today he was assessed a 10 minute misconduct, a slashing major and pulled from the game by his coach, all before the game was half over. I think that the Giants will have there hands full trying to make this guy into an asset.

Well look what Hay did with Slade. He calmed down and got to business. Yeah he left in a cloud of controversy...but I think the cloud hangs over all 3 parties involved (Slade, his agent and the Giants)

As long as Tucker is fundamentaly sound, attitude can be straightened out. All it takes is a meeting of "OK, here is the deal. You straighten up and fly right, or we will NEVER release you from our 50PPL and you can waste away in Major Midget and go no where. You pick"

dondo
12-17-2007, 01:09 AM
thanks fonz

I was going to say its another Slade in the making, but as OTH said if there's one coach who can straighten him out its Don Hay and Sean is supposed to be damn good goalie coach as well, from what I hear.

Hopefully we can channel that edge and get the best out of the kid. It worries me for a kid to have that kind of attitude so young, but until we see how he meshes (or not) with the team I'll stick to the positive view.

Beaner
12-17-2007, 01:18 AM
I was under the impression that Lucic was off the table .. okay then I'll raise you a very over-age Brule and Kyle Turris leaving college to join the G-Men

Ok now you are just being silly.

:laugh:

PS You may as well throw in Bertram.

haha

Section_Z
12-17-2007, 01:34 AM
That'd be nice, but he just had a goal and 2 assists in his last 3 games....
Franson had a great weekend too.

How about Mikkelson....he'd fill that defensive hole nicely....

dondo
12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok now you are just being silly.

:laugh:

PS You may as well throw in Bertram.

haha

sure what the hell --- him too and my shorts --

rumour has it that he and Turris have been finding something missing in their lives and they think it might be a Memorial Cup so they've both decided to join the Giants to make their collective dreams come true.

are you gonna call? :p