PDA

View Full Version : Official Hurricanes - Hitmen Series Preview Thread

Nielson11
03-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Guys,

Let's try to keep all of the talk about the series, leading up to the series in this thread. I will create one for every game as we get rolling.

So Canes and Hitmen in round 1, I wouldn't have it any other way. These two clubs have a good history, but putting a series like this one in the books will make it a great history.

I'll try to break it down:

COACHING:

Hofford vs Kisio,
Kisio is no light weight. But I question some times while he hasn't been able to keep his players in check .
Hofford is the number 1 reason the Hurricanes went from out of the playoffs to second in the division.
Looking at the assistants. Theoret is learning and could one day make a good head coach, right now though he only has 2-3 years under his belt, Evason on the other hand is much more experienced.
EDGE in COACHING: EVEN

Goaltending:
The Hitmen brought Pogge into the fold but he has NO playoff experience at all. A goals against average of 2.50, save % of .907. The thing that blows my mind is with Prince George he had one more win then losses....his time in Calgary only 2 more wins then losses. Not much of a difference with a much better team.
Sorochan is two years older then Pogge, his GAA is 2.19, save % .917. The big difference here though is experience in the playoffs. Sorochan played well last year as the Giants won a series, he has 11 games under his belt in the post-season.
EDGE in GOAL: Lethbridge

The Bluelines

Shultz - Carson - Kohn - Yacboski - Harder - Alzner - Plante - Yeo

BIG BIG BIG BIG....Shultz and Carson are absolute Giants. A couple of youngsters in Plante and Alzner...no better way to learn the game then in the post-season. And then ofcourse Dustin Kohn....he has been an offense force this year.

Seabrook - Gulasi - Ashton - Champman - Henitiuk - Mezei - Dudas - Thunderchild

Seabrook is the best blueliner in the series. He will most likely play 40 minutes a game in the post season. Ashton is a great compliment to Seabrook. Gulasi is a fairly under-rated blueliner. Champan a hard working little bugger. Mezei adds the muscle. Dudas, Henituik and Thunderchild, still working on there games, might be vunerable in some cases.

EDGE on the Blueline: Even - Hitmen bigger, Canes more mobile

UP FRONT

The Hitmen have the big line
Andrew Ladd, Ryan Getzlaf and Shaun Landolt....if these guys put it together they will be wreaking havoc on the Hurricanes.
Pushkarev seems to have been picking up the intensity in his game lately, which will be much needed for the post season. The overall group has good size and the potential is there to be dominant....but so far it's only been potential.

The Hurricanes on the other hand, have been exceding potential this year.
Jonathan Filewich finished the regular season with 42 goals, Yellow Horn a top 5 scorer in the WHL. Tyler Redenbach will be looked up to fire up a second line that will most likely be Lammers - Reds - Versteeg. Lammers and Vertseeg have both been playing good lately. Lammers really picking it up. Olafson, Kaye and Klinkhammer will have there hands full with Ladd-Getzlaf etc.
The 4th line has been amazing lately. Kodman, Ruzicka and 15/16 year old Dwight King is made for crashing and banging.

EDGE UP FRONT : Hurricanes , the potential is there for the Hitmen but this year no one can argue that the Canes forwards haven't been better.

Feel free to criticize, this is just my opinion but I feel it's a fair one.

Nielson 11

LethMan_9
03-21-2005, 12:43 AM
I definately have to agree with you on everything that you have commented on so far, dont get me wrong. Although, in my personal opinion, I will be watching the series closely based on two things, goaltending and the defense. I have always had a defensive mindset when it has come to the sport of hockey, so these are the two areas that I key into the most. Calgary definately has the size advantage, but a big determining factor will be if calgary uses its size to its advantage. The key for Lethbridge I believe would be to get out to an early lead and protect their lead. This way this forces calgary into a position where they cannot be focused onto the "big hits". Lethbridge does not have the size advantage to eventually "wear" out calgary and hope for those late giveaways, it just wont happen. If the Canes do get out to a good lead, Sorochan will do the rest. Im excited to see what happens. Go Canes Go!!!

LethMan_9

Orv
03-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Nielson I agree with you. The only thing that worries me is that if the potential of Hitmen forwards suddenly kick in it could get ugly. I have faith in the Hurricanes d-men and coach Hoffard's system I just think with the firepower the Hitmen have if they explode it could be a long series (I guess I mean short series) for the Hurricanes. The bright side is, they haven't shown any signs of reaching that potential so far.

LethMan_9
03-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I think that its great for the Canes to have home ice advantage first round playoffs, heck... who wouldn't want it? One nice relief to see is the Canes home and away records being so equal. Going 20-9-7 at home this year, and 19-12-5 on the road, I feel confident that the Canes can get the job done in any building. Calgary struggled a bit throughout the season on the road... going 15-19-2, but were 19-10-7 at home. Even though the Hitmen hold a 3-2-1 record against the canes this season (with that 3rd win being that 1-0 win in leth (such a brutal game :p )), its going to be a great series no matter what anyone says! Best of luck to all teams in the post-season! :thumb:

grumphy
03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
As an outside observer I would say that the only thing to really question is wether or not the canes can stand up to the hitmens overall size advantage in a seven game series. I would think the longer it goes the more the advantage would swing to the hitmen------just my opinion

Hitman
03-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Nice preveiw you gave there...

As I stated in another thread, I think the series will go right down to the final game, and the Hitmen will barely come out on top. At least I'm hopeing that's the case, more excitement the better. :D Meh, just as long as the Hitmen win I'll be happy. Go Hitmen Go! :thumb: