PDA

View Full Version : Education lottery????

penman
12-04-2007, 08:14 AM
When is the dub going to get their head out of their ass.Why would they not pool all the 50 50 from around the league and disperse the funds from one office. The education fund is not a team thjing it is a WHL plan.You look at Calgary, Van. who ever in the big markets they have a surplus of 50 50 money I would bet.where as Swifty Moose Jaw PA have a short fall on their obligation of 10,s of thousands every year. It is a shame that a team such as Swift has to have a fund raiser to meet this when in imo evry team should be on a level field with a league plan.This is purely a guess but a educated one 50 percent of Swift 50 50,18 to 20 thousand Medicine Hat,100 to 120 thousand.And the small markets have to honour the same commitment,not fair.

byrdman25
12-04-2007, 11:09 AM
call me ignorant, but aren't Sc and MH both small markets. I may be a little biased, but why should 1 team support another, be creative, have a lotto, just offer tickets more broadly, like say over the interweb. If a team can make and save money to put towards an improved education fund for their players, then good on them. Sure the Giants make more, our 50/50 is usually around $2500 * 35 = 87,500 so we'll say they make $120k. Now if I am a business man and providing a better and more player directed learning program for my players provides me with an advantage I will take it (the giants get a bang up education program with many little extras that make a huge difference). By way of your logic, the Giants, and I am figuring Calgary and Edmonton too, should be subsidized in terms of the higher leases, marketing fees, extra charitable work (not to say other teams do not do it and well) in a demanding market, higher realty prices - thus higher rent and likely billet fees (?), press passes and their associated costs (food & bev, printing, etc.) as well as any other added costs due to our being in a way more expensive market.
Just a thought.
It isn't all roses, even with a White Spot owner we still miss about an entire period (give or take) waiting in line for a burger. I missed a whole period, intermission, and about 5 minutes of another period the other game so my relative could get dinner, kids need to eat, and they are picky. Our PNE game staff cares very little about us and tends not to listen to any complaints, like shut the door we are all freezing - seriously entire sections freeze in the third due to some weird stadium policy that states they must leave a door open, try the one 5 feet over, oh wait their 1 staff in a room will be affected. uggg needed to rant

Believer
12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
hey byrd....um...just a few quick notes to maybe point out.... MH is a bigger ,market by far !! no comparison..a college to pull youth from...oil money....ranch...and a city about ...what?....4-5 times the size. ( i could be off on this, but you get the point). so the Broncos DO need to do a lottery or something. Their 50/50 sales most like hit around 20-25 grand a year, where MH's pretty much cover education costs. ( the beer sales make opu for the rest by far! haha). So the Broncos need to find ANOTHER way to generate 40+ grand !
I also don't think you can sell via the internet, or even advertise outside the province do to gaming laws. But maybe the club should double check this.

12-04-2007, 02:15 PM
call me ignorant, but aren't Sc and MH both small markets. I may be a little biased, but why should 1 team support another, be creative, have a lotto, just offer tickets more broadly, like say over the interweb. If a team can make and save money to put towards an improved education fund for their players, then good on them. Sure the Giants make more, our 50/50 is usually around $2500 * 35 = 87,500 so we'll say they make $120k. Now if I am a business man and providing a better and more player directed learning program for my players provides me with an advantage I will take it (the giants get a bang up education program with many little extras that make a huge difference). By way of your logic, the Giants, and I am figuring Calgary and Edmonton too, should be subsidized in terms of the higher leases, marketing fees, extra charitable work (not to say other teams do not do it and well) in a demanding market, higher realty prices - thus higher rent and likely billet fees (?), press passes and their associated costs (food & bev, printing, etc.) as well as any other added costs due to our being in a way more expensive market.
Just a thought.
It isn't all roses, even with a White Spot owner we still miss about an entire period (give or take) waiting in line for a burger. I missed a whole period, intermission, and about 5 minutes of another period the other game so my relative could get dinner, kids need to eat, and they are picky. Our PNE game staff cares very little about us and tends not to listen to any complaints, like shut the door we are all freezing - seriously entire sections freeze in the third due to some weird stadium policy that states they must leave a door open, try the one 5 feet over, oh wait their 1 staff in a room will be affected. uggg needed to rant

medicine hat has a huge market, i believe theres a waiting list for seasons tickets...there games are for the most part sold out

OldRaiderFan
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
I looked into the gaming laws in Saskatchewan a year ago and found out that they prevent you from selling tickets online or out of province if the proceeds go to a charitable organization (community owned team, a minor hockey team or organization). Even a booster club can not sell tickets outside of Saskatchewan. Now with a conservative government, the laws could chang.

penman
12-05-2007, 12:25 AM
First of all because your 50 50 is bigger doesnt allow you to attract better players. Every player in the dub gets the exact same oppprtunity as the next one. Next the education scholarship was not put into place to attract players to any specific team it is to attract players to the dub and was put intp place to offset the NCAA attracting all the payers and to counter there [the NCAA]decision to classify Major Jr. in Canada as proffesional hockey therefore making any player who played in the dub inelligable for scholarships to u.s. colleges.So ya we do lotteries to offset our lack of crowds,and sponsorships ,then we exhaust our fund raising that could be used to run the team and perhaps make life easier on the players.It really doesnt have anything at all with having to keep your door open,sorry that escaped me regarding the program but whatever,or how long the line ups are for hamburgers at your rink????.Last year Swift payed out 80000 in money so I would guess every team would be close to that.You told your 50 50 would of netted 120k so do you have a 60k surplus I am thinking ther must be a huge war chest somwhere. With all the big markets in the game now,It would seem only fair to run the education fund out of one place and out of one pot ???