PDA

View Full Version : The Contender

mccabe23
03-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Has anyone else been watching this new reality boxing show? I've never been a huge boxing fan but this show is great! I can't remember watching another show that has so much raw emotion. For instance, tonight's episode had a young man who had so much heart but lost his fight and was eliminated. They showed him after the fight in an interview as he held his daughter and wife and wept. Tragically, he actually commited suicide this past Feb., leaving behind a wife and child.

All the young boxers in this show have such heart and love for the sport and are fighting so hard to win. If you haven't watched it yet, tune in. It will bring out such a range of emotions in you. And hey....it's got Sly as the host! :thumb:

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Yes I watched The contender Yesterday and I have been attracted to the show and i was never a big boxing fan though and u probably know that Jeff Fraza had to quit because he had the chicken pox and they were contagious

original6
03-21-2005, 03:30 PM
very gripping show, my wife who hates boxing, actually watches it for the human drama. i heard the ratings are bad..so pass the word, it deserves a chance

Beaner
03-24-2005, 01:44 AM
I love that show. Much better than what I thought it was going to be.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-27-2005, 11:11 PM
The west had 4 victories and the East had 0. With Peter Manfredo Jr. back in everyone on the west was wanting to fight him, because they all said that he looked weak just because he lost his first fight, but he was given another chance to redeam himself and also get the first victory for his team: the East and he did just that in a close 1 point descision. I was also hoping that he would win also.

mccabe23
04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Anybody else watch it last night?(april 10th) Man, Tarick vs. Juan was an awesome fight! Too bad they only go 5 rounds. Juan was pretty impressive for an eighteen year old. Boy, that kid can throw punches!

Ishe was the guy I wanted to win it all but he lost my vote last night as he acted like a total baby. I couldn't believe him! I think I want Juan to go all the way since he's the youngest and is fun to watch. He has no style and no defense whatsoever. He just throws punches like a hurricane out there.

Anyway, awesome show and I hope it sticks around for many years.

ynot
04-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I had heard a lot about this show when they first started with the idea. I was really looking forward to it....reality t.v. that actually sounded a bit appealing!!! Who would've thought it! Unfortunately I have yet to catch an episode of it!

It was quite distressing to hear about the guy that ended up committing suicide. It was nice to hear that they set up a fund for his little girl though.

mccabe23
04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately I have yet to catch an episode of it!

I've been fortunate to see all the episodes and I have been very impressed. It's been awhile for a TV show to come out that I actually can't wait for the next episode. There hasn't been a boring episode yet and each show I find myself standing in front of the TV when the two boxers go at it. Pretty cool stuff. :thumb:

Beaner
04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
You could really tell that Tarrick hadn't been in the ring in a while, he just tired too quickly.

Should be interesting next week as we already know the bout, I guess they wont have a challenge? Or will it be an individual challenge to pick teams for round 2?

Furback
04-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Ulitmate fighter is a far better show did any one catch the final it was amazing best fight i have ever seen is my life.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I've been fortunate to see all the episodes and I have been very impressed.

I have also seen all of the episodes and I'll admit I am hooked. I was suprized that Juan came out fireing but he clearly domimated and he is one of the younger fighters as said before. I also thought that Tarrick's experience would be an advantage but I guess it did not help that much. Juan is full of energy and If he did lose the fight than that would not matter because he is just begining his boxing carrer. this kid has a bright future IMO. Juan seemed very motivated because he said that his Grandfather was his motivation. He was so powerful that he made Tarrick Physically tired and all the energy was gone and his last chance is gone because he is 35 years old.

mccabe23
04-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Another great fight tonight! Wow, in the 3rd round, I thought Joey was done when he couldn't even move because of his leg. What a 5th round by him! The 5th round was a bloody one! :thumb:

I wanted Juan to go all the way but I guess it won't happen. I think it was a bad desicion by him and he lost a lot of respect.

I'm curious who will be voted to come back. Probably Jimmy.

Beaner
04-17-2005, 10:56 PM
I think its Baby Face who's coming back actually. They had that hint that there was a group of 3 guys who going to bring someone back to disturb the house, plus they had the Foreshadowing with Isha (Sp?). Thus, I think they are gonna bring back Baby face to get the rest of the guys off their game.

Great Fight. I don't know what Juan was thinking - he should have at least stuck around to see if his injuries would heal.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Joey was an explosion in the first few rounds and then his hamstring gave out and he had no legs but he battled through the pain and fought to win in the final rounds, all because of encouragement that his father(who he had not seen in 5 months) and the rest of his family gave him during the fight. As far as for who will come back I do not know who will. A couple of the guys said that they will vote and suprise everyone. Ishe said that he will base his vote on who he thinks will cause little or no drama in the game. The vote would not be strategic.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-24-2005, 08:15 PM
In the first fight of round 2, Baby face was brought back as I expected and Jesse Brigley won the right to choose to pick who fights of to fight someone himself and he choose to pick two other to fight. I thought that he was going to make Ishe Smith fight Baby face Kadour but he suprised everyone IMO and choose Ishe to fight "The Latin Snake" Sergio Mora and the smack talking Ishe lost, he really did not land too many punches and Sergio came to fight and picked up the win to stay undefeated.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-24-2005, 10:09 PM
In the second hour Joey Gilbert Literally gave Peter Manfredo a $40,000 truck because Joey let Peter cross the finish line first. Peter Manfredo would not choose Anthony Basante because he hurt his hamstring in the challenge and he did not choose Joey because he was very generous towards Peter and he did not choose Sergio because he had already fought and won. So in the end Peter had choose Alfanso Gomez and Ahmed "Babyface" Kaddour to fight. At the end of a good fight Alfonso Gomez was Victorious. It must suck that Ahmed kaddour did not take advantage of his second chance :) As he said If Alfonso Gomez wins it all then at least he can say that he lost to the champ. That is what the Saskatoon Blades are probably thinking But I know PA was sort of the underdog and was not expected to advance this far but hey things happen for different reasons.

mccabe23
04-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Yes, another two awesome episodes! Gotta say I was kind of rooting for Babyface but the better man won. If it would have been a 7 round fight, I think Babyface may have won. He almost knocked him out in the end! Gomez's legs just buckled after that punch and he almost hit the canvas. Gomez is an animal out there, though! I can't see anyone beating him.

I liked Ishe from the start but his attitude turned me off of him so I was glad he lost. He is a good fighter but doesn't have it mentally. It was funny watching Sergio taunt him in the 5th round. Sergio vs. Gomez would be a beaut!

I just love the slowmotion they do when a punch connects! It looks so cool!

Beaner
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, another 2 good episodes, with 2 good fights. Sergio looks really good, but I think Anthony is done, that hamstring injury looks really bad.

My prediction for next week is Joey wins the Challenge, again, and takes on Anthony since he is hurt. Leaving Jesse and Peter to go at it.

However, anyone know what the heck this "Jackie" person does that they mention in the opening credits? I dont believe I have seen her talk or do anything besides get maybe 10 sec. of screen time during the fights?

At least maybe let us know the name of the corner guys, at least they speak during the show. :clap:

mccabe23
04-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I was wondering about Jackie as well. I think in the earlier episodes, some of the guys went and talked to her so it was my guess that she is a counselor.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Joey wanted to win the challange so then he could who would fight but unfortionatly for him Jesse won the Challange and( I think Obviousy Jesse wanted to fight the injured Anthony Basante) Jesse chose Peter Manfredo Jr and Joey Gilbert to fight. At the start the fight was a little one sided by as Peter came out aggressive and won the first two rounds WOW. Joey never gave up and fought the fight of his life and he won the next two rounds to make it even. They both looked tired and they battled it out until the fifth round was complete, In the 5th round Peter was stuck in the corner and Joey threw a massive combo of punches and Peter ducked to aviod the punches but Joey's head hit Peter's head. Joey was left with a deep gash above his eyebrow I think. It was hard to tell because peter's punches caused a lot of damage but so did Joey's punches as well. At the end of the fight alot of people were concerned about Joey and everone started chanting "Joey Joey" After the fight a doctor came into the room and asked Joey "What hurts on his body" and Joey said it hurts all over,and he was asked to be carried away on a strecher and he said "no". Now he is a true fighter. He said that it hurt all over because early in the fight Joey said that he thought his rib was broken,but he battled through all the pain. It was amazing to see him still fighting but this kid is a true warrior. near the end of the show Joey needed to go to the hospital to get examined to find out the extent of his injuries. Tommy said that the huge cut caused by the acidental head butt would take 40-50 stiches to close(I guess the gash was bigger annd deeper than it looked. Joey fought the fight of his life but did not come up with a win. I can not wait until next sunday to see Jesse Brigley fight Anthony Basante. It should be a very interesting fight for sure. :thumb:

mccabe23
05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I wanted Peter to win that fight because Joey seemed to have no heart at all but after that fight, I was chanting "Joey, Joey"! In my eyes, that fight was a draw but the officials had other ideas. Joey gave it his all and just kept swinging for dear life in the later rounds. He's a true warrior after that battle!

Yes, next week should be a great fight. Jessie should win but Anthony is an animal out there so it could go either way. We will have to wait and see if injuries effect either fighter.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I had the luxury of my new Bell Express Vu Satellite and watched it earlier(read my rant in the water cooler) I watched this episode at 5:00p.m and I did not post a fight recap until now, so I did not ruin it for those of you who watched it later. Anyways this episode began with a weight issue for Jesse Brigley but Anthony Basante did not show any sympathy for Jesse so he still had to meet the 158 Ib regulation weight, I think it was smart move on Anthony's part because then Jesse would be burning mad. :burningma This proved to be a motivation for him, but Anthony came out throwing and connecting with bombs. In the final round did Jesse ever turn the fight around and he let Anthony win the first two rounds. I really thought that Anthony was going to be the winner. In the pre fight press conference Jesse said that he would not loose to Anthony and this was true because it only took Jesse 2 minutes and 10 seconds to finnsh Anthony with a knockout punch but not to hurt him, only to win the fight that Anthony had control of. It was really hard for me to see Anthony that mad/sad after the fight in the corner.

mccabe23
05-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I felt so bad for Anthony. Sure, him talking about his kids non stop got a little annoying but he was a good fighter. That shot be Jessie was huge! Anthony's head almost popped off!

So, it's down to the final four. Personally I'd like to see Gomez and Sergio fight at Ceasar's for the million buck. I want Gomez to win it all! But any of the final four are worthy and great fighters.

.....I really hope this show get's another season. I love it! :thumb:

Beaner
05-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I am glad Anthony is gone - That guy annoyed me to no end.

Deserved exactly what he got, after the antics he pulled in round 1 - the only guy thus far knocked out.

Another good fight, looking forward to the final 4.

mccabe23
05-16-2005, 05:02 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!! Gomez is gone!!!! That sucks!

What a fight though! That 7th round was a real slugfest! Did you see Gomez's face after the fight? WOW! He was pretty swollen.

I look for Jessie to beat Sergio next week to set up the Manfredo/Brinkley fight which will be a beaut. If Jessie can get focused, he should walk away with all of this.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Sergio fought Jesse and both of them were not really being the aggresser until the later rounds and when Jesse was cut and Tommy and Peter said that he has to step up and knock Sergio out. I think that this gave him energy to battle back and stand up for himself. Both of them were cut up, In the end Jesse fought his heart out and gave it his all,but Sergio won the fight and now he has to fight Peter Manfredo Jr. @ Caesar's Palace for $1 MILLION DOLLARS. I expect to see a great fight. It is tough to say who will win. :bounce: :groovy: :thumb:

mccabe23
05-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Yes, Sergio seemed to want it more. I'll miss Jessie as he was so freakin hilarious! :laugh:

Sergio/Peter should be a beaut. Peter is probably the better fighter but Sergio is so mentally strong that he may win it all. Can't wait!!!! :thumb:

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
05-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a second season to the Contender? I think it's the best show on the tube these days :groovy:

mccabe23
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a second season to the Contender? I think it's the best show on the tube these days :groovy:

I've been searching everywhere to find out but with no luck. It would be a crime not to bring this show back. Best reality show out there IMO.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I've been searching everywhere to find out but with no luck. It would be a crime not to bring this show back. Best reality show out there IMO.

for more Information on the show and it's progress check out www.contender.tv.yahoo.com (http://www.contender.tv.yahoo.com)

mccabe23
05-25-2005, 10:11 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!! What a final episode! It was sweet to see Gomez and Brinkley go at it. In all honesty, that was the better fight on the night! Gomez is so awesome and I was glad he won!

Sergio vs. Peter was a good fight as well. A little too much holding on at times but a good fight none the less. The only dark point was Sergio taunting Peter's dad but hey...that's what Sergio does.

Congrats to Sergio on the win and congrats to all the other fighters. R.I.P. to Najai as well.

IMO, best reality show ever made and a crime if it doesn't get another season! I'm really going to miss those guys! From Jessie, to Sergio, to Alfonso to Ahmed......I'm going to miss you all!

Thank you for entertaining me at your own pain and expense! :thumb: