PDA

View Full Version : Parker Explodes on Pats

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-05-2007, 02:02 AM
http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2007/12/05/parker-explodes-on-pats.aspx

From Greg Harder's Slap Shots....

Parker explodes on Pats

The Regina Pats appear to be at a crossroads.
At least, that’s the feeling you got after witnessing the fallout from Tuesday’s 5-2 stinker at the hands of the Brandon Wheat Kings.
Following the loss, which allowed Brandon to overtake Regina for first place in the East Division, Pats GM Brent Parker dressed down his troops with a rant that was audible outside the locked dressing-room door. You could hear the sound of sticks crashing to the floor, but most of all you could here the GM’s animated voice.
The words were ones you’d expect to be reserved for a last-place team, not one that’s still knocking at the door of the East Division lead. Clearly, it’s a sign that the bar has been raised in Regina and this regime won’t accept the kind of effort that it saw Tuesday.
Parker called out his players. He seemingly questioned their heart and pride. He said he wouldn’t buy a ticket to watch them perform the way they did on Tuesday (or something to that affect, anyway).
Afterwards, Parker didn’t emerge from the dressing room to address the media, but his players and coaches did. Their faces all looked a little wind-burned.
Hunt used words like “embarrassed” and “accountability.” He also said Tuesday’s effort — given the magnitude of the game — raised some serious questions about his team. He didn’t elaborate on those questions, but he did make an ominous reference to the looming Jan. 10 trade deadline.
It could be D-Day for the Pats, who didn’t belong in the same building with the Wheat Kings on Tuesday despite an improved third-period effort which was too little too late.
The damage was done in the first period, when Brandon’s Scott Glennie, Theran Yeo and Daniel Bartek scored three times in a span of 3:29 to chase Linden Rowat after just seven shots. He was replaced by rookie Jeff Bosch, who allowed another first-period goal by Glennie and a second-period marker by Bartek.
Jared Jagow and Logan Pyett scored in the third period.
Bosch finished with 19 saves for the Pats (19-12-0-1). Joe Caligiuri stopped 21 shots for the Wheat Kings (20-9-0-1), who now lead second-place Regina by two points. Brandon also has two games in hand.
The Pats will now hit the road for games Thursday against the Edmonton Oil Kings and Friday versus the Red Deer Rebels. Regina is back on home ice Sunday afternoon to meet the Kelowna Rockets.
It’ll be interesting to see how the team responds to Parker’s ear-splitting critique. For some players, it might just decide their future in Regina.

I, myself, missed the game tonight, had school to do to. Looks like I didnt miss a pleasant one. I hate losing to Brandon of all teams as much as the next guy, but perhaps this seems like the "final warning" to the pats, especially since the trade deadline is drawing closer and closer. We really need to make some changes with this squad, as some are definitely not pulling their weight right now.

I can look no further than guys like Nick Ross, who is such a huge part of the team, yet he has been plain awful in the past few games. In fact, he has almost taken a step backward in his defensive game, though steadily improving in his offensive game. He isnt physical anymore, and has become a pylon in his own zone. I think he needs to ride the pine a little bit, but then I remember that it has been done before. Hmm...

I am not blaming our troubles all on Nick Ross. He wasnt a first rounder by fluke. (Got 2 assists tonight as well, so good for him). I merely used him as an example of a player who has been "dogging it" as of lately. Other examples being...:

Kirt Hill----- I would like to see Hill play like his old self again, the same hill that buzzed around the arena(like he did against Kootenay last game actually), and was physical and relentless. He, for the most part, has been invisible this year, and I know that he can get under opponents skin with that great forechecking, and aggressive play of his.

Linden Rowat---(Not dogging it, read explanation!)-- Rowat needs to work on his consistancy in net. He is a very good goalie, and keeps us in games more often than not, but isnt very reliable. You never know if you are going to get Rowat the game stealer, or Rowat the sieve. If we want him to be the goalie we rely on to take us through the playoffs, he needs to prove that he can play JUST LIKE he did in the first few games of the season, and most importantly, CONSISTANTLY play like that!

Josh Elder----- Elder needs to be more physical (when he comes back). "Chuckin' the knuckles" occasionally is not being a physical player. Its being a fighter. We need him to play physical in the actual games, like Stoesz did. He could learn alot from Mitchell's style of play.

Michael Macangus----- I would also like to see the MacAngus of last year come back. He has been living off Eberle long enough, and aside from being the guy at the end of the pass, or getting secondary assists, I am not seeing much more. There have not been any of the clutch break away goals, or the Ryan Smyth-esque PP dirty goals. I am also not seeing much grit from him either. Barring a change in his performance, he needs to get moved to a different line to create more depth, or moved for another player... because I no longer see the chemistry on the top line anymore.

Troy Ofukany----- I know he has had some success as of lately, but too many times has he been completely invisible, due to what seems to be a lack of effort. Once again, inconsistancy is the problem. Now, I am a big ofukany fan. He is one of the teams best players, but he needs to play 100 percent every night. If he had the work ethic of the kirt hill of old, then he would probably not be in juniors right now. The same was said about Tim Kraus, and I think that he is better than the numbers he has this year right now.

and the rest! (too lazy to get anyone else... Gross needs to be used properly, Valach is getting better, and Leffler is getting the hang of it now.)

But on the bright side, its makes you anxious as to what may happen during the trade deadline. Seeing as we are supposed to be(are right now?) a top team, we might make some deals and bring in some top players in the league, which has not happened in a long time.

I know I am excited about it! Even if we dont succeed, it should be a fun ride, and thats what its all about! The journey to the top is the exciting part, not just "tuning in at the last minute", and missing the entire experience. I am especially excited, seeing as I might get to witness the world BEYOND the first round of the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. No euro trip to stop me this time, though if it does, well... good luck pats!

PS: Speaking of trades, I think that to become a top contender, we are still a couple trades away. Obviously, we are in need of more offence, though we must maintain our defence as well.

I have many crazy trade proposals I could throw out there but I guess I could throw in a few of the more sane ones in another post.. maybe in the morning....

witness
12-05-2007, 09:29 AM
i felt sorry for Rowatt. Goal number 1, the Pats defensemen gave up on the play and left the Brandon player all alone in the slot. Goal number 2, deflected into his net by his own defensemen. Goal number 3, he should have had, but at this point did it really matter?

As far as Nick Ross goes, who are you going to replace him with? Kulcher? A -3 on the night with a lazy play (see goal number 1) and a bad neutral zone turnover. It was quite evident that he needs a lot more work. But, I am not going to be too hard on the kid. I thought in the last couple of weeks he has come along and everybody is allowed to have a bad game. But the whole team at once!

From the last couple of weeks since they have come back from the states, I would have to label Nick Ross and Tim Kraus' play as uninspired at best. The lone bright spot last night was Pyett's goal. Man, does he have a second gear! This is what I thought Kraus would bring to the Pats.

But you have to give Brandon credit. They outplayed the Pats from goaltender out and in every aspect of the game. Brandon fans, get excited about this team, they are fun to watch.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
i felt sorry for Rowatt. Goal number 1, the Pats defensemen gave up on the play and left the Brandon player all alone in the slot. Goal number 2, deflected into his net by his own defensemen. Goal number 3, he should have had, but at this point did it really matter?

As far as Nick Ross goes, who are you going to replace him with? Kulcher? A -3 on the night with a lazy play (see goal number 1) and a bad neutral zone turnover. It was quite evident that he needs a lot more work. But, I am not going to be too hard on the kid. I thought in the last couple of weeks he has come along and everybody is allowed to have a bad game. But the whole team at once!

From the last couple of weeks since they have come back from the states, I would have to label Nick Ross and Tim Kraus' play as uninspired at best. The lone bright spot last night was Pyett's goal. Man, does he have a second gear! This is what I thought Kraus would bring to the Pats.

But you have to give Brandon credit. They outplayed the Pats from goaltender out and in every aspect of the game. Brandon fans, get excited about this team, they are fun to watch.

I cant give Brandon credit, because I have not seen them play once this season. I missed both(1 or 2 games, think it was 2) games that they were here. Next time we play them is on the 15th of January. I wont miss that one. I am sure if they can beat us, even if we played as bad as we did, that they must be a good team though.

As for Ross, thats just the thing. We cant really replace him. He is our 2nd best defenceman, and will be our best next year. We need him to pick up the pace. Kulchar is young, and he reminds me alot like schira. I can easily see a Kulchar - Ross pairing next year, or maybe sometimes this year. He is (usually)pretty solid defensively, and next year, the points will come for him.

And finally, Rowat. Like I said, I never know what to expect from him. Will he steal the game, or will he fold? He is either our saviour in winning the game, or he is losing the game. Now, I like Rowat. I have defended him since last year, where alot of people in my section were unhappy with his play. But, right now, is he the guy we want in net during "game 7"? Remember how he played against Brandon, in what was probably the most important game so far this season.(not that I saw, but everyone says that he bombed).

I know that there is alot of time between now, and that "game 7", but do you think that Rowat is the guy that can take us all the way, if possible?

(at least there are no shootouts in the playoffs, so thats a positive point no Rowats side.)

Tadaa
12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Is it just me or has it seemed like over the past couple years the Pats start the season as a very promising team. Then when they struggle during a lengthy west coast trip Coach Parker starts going off in the media and in the dressing room and then the Pats never seem to get on track again for the rest of the year??? Does this seem to be happening year after year, coach after coach?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-08-2007, 12:21 AM
something has got to be done with this team. We shouldnt be losing to rebuilding teams 4-1. What is wrong with the pats?

Can anyone who at least listened to the game perhaps provide some sort of insight?

SectionNDeserter
12-08-2007, 07:48 AM
The Rebels manhandled them physically in the first period, and outworked them on the boards in their own end most of the game. I thought Teubert and Ross had particularly terrible games, not skating at all and looking really soft in front of their own goal.