PDA

View Full Version : Reimer and Watt Comments

Billy's Got A Gun!
12-06-2007, 01:35 AM
I just finished reading some of the most recent comments on Reimer and Watt! First Reimer. Reimer has played exceptional of late. In fact he has been a steady performer since he joined the team. It's too bad because the kid has played his guts out but can't get a win because of our inability to score goals. This is a problem because they have to play a perfect defensive game to win, which puts a lot of pressure on everyone. Goaltending has definitely not been the Rebels's problem over the past few years. It is their inability to generate any offense and score goals on a consistent basis. Even last year against the Tigers in the playoffs, they could not score goals in their building!

With this in mind, I think Reimers' days as a Rebel are coming to an end. No discredit to him because he has been a bright spot here. For the most part, this team needs to think about next year already! Even if they do sneak into the playoffs this year, it will be over fast. Morgan Clark has proven he can step into the number one role, and I don't think Reimer will be back next year anyways. My prediction is Reimer goes to a contender before the deadline in return for a 17 or 18 year old forward with some offensive upside. Also, it gives Reimer a chance to play for a Championship.

As for Watt, what a disaster of a trade so far. Countless bonehead penalties, suspensions etc. He doesn't even want to be here! Would you want to spend your last season in junior hockey playing on a rebuilding team after you just won the Memorial Cup. I didn't think so! Throw him in to the trade mix to try and sweeten the pot for some younger talent. I say try because his stock has dropped big time since he got here. Too bad, cause when he wants to play smart hockey he is one of the best players on the ice.

SectionNDeserter
12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Even last year against the Tigers in the playoffs, they could not score goals in their building!The Rebels didn't corner the market on having trouble scoring on Keetley last season. ;)

My prediction is Reimer goes to a contender before the deadline in return for a 17 or 18 year old forward with some offensive upside. Also, it gives Reimer a chance to play for a Championship.I would be happier with a talented 18 year old defenseman. A 17 or 18 year old forward with offensive upside would be nice as well, but isn't going to help us quite as much when the puck is in our end of the ice 3/4 of the time.

As for Watt, what a disaster of a trade so far. Countless bonehead penalties, suspensions etc. He doesn't even want to be here!I think in order for it to be a disaster of a trade, we would have had to have given up something of real value for him, at best I would call it a nothing trade. The only real tragedy here is that a younger guy like Coetzee, or a guy that is working hard and actually doing something like Carter Smith could be getting his ice time and doing something with it. I think that given the Flames relationship with the Rebels, and his injury/suspension problems thus far this season, it is going to be very difficult at this point for the Rebels to trade him.

12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
The Rebels didn't corner the market on having trouble scoring on Keetley last season. ;)
I would be happier with a talented 18 year old defenseman. A 17 or 18 year old forward with offensive upside would be nice as well, but isn't going to help us quite as much when the puck is in our end of the ice 3/4 of the time.
I think in order for it to be a disaster of a trade, we would have had to have given up something of real value for him, at best I would call it a nothing trade. The only real tragedy here is that a younger guy like Coetzee, or a guy that is working hard and actually doing something like Carter Smith could be getting his ice time and doing something with it. I think that given the Flames relationship with the Rebels, and his injury/suspension problems thus far this season, it is going to be very difficult at this point for the Rebels to trade him.

i'd say the only way he is going any where is if he were to get dropped by the flames. dont see that happening!!! AND not to mention i dont see anyone bringing up esposito who also had a pile of penalities that game!

SectionNDeserter
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
AND not to mention i dont see anyone bringing up esposito who also had a pile of penalities that game!Esposito isn't supposed to be a leader on this team, nor is he overage, nor is this a regular thing for him. As such he is held to a different standard.

12-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Esposito isn't supposed to be a leader on this team, nor is he overage, nor is this a regular thing for him. As such he is held to a different standard.

if u didnt know about good watt/bad watt before he got to red deer, i dunno where you have been the past 2 yrs. this isnt something new for him. He just played for a far superior team that could cope with his bone head penalties

JustMe
12-06-2007, 07:20 PM
The Rebels didn't corner the market on having trouble scoring on Keetley last season. ;)
I would be happier with a talented 18 year old defenseman. A 17 or 18 year old forward with offensive upside would be nice as well, but isn't going to help us quite as much when the puck is in our end of the ice 3/4 of the time.
I think in order for it to be a disaster of a trade, we would have had to have given up something of real value for him, at best I would call it a nothing trade. The only real tragedy here is that a younger guy like Coetzee, or a guy that is working hard and actually doing something like Carter Smith could be getting his ice time and doing something with it. I think that given the Flames relationship with the Rebels, and his injury/suspension problems thus far this season, it is going to be very difficult at this point for the Rebels to trade him.

I totally agree, I would rather say at this point in time we need more on D than on forward. Also most of all, very important, we need someone who ACTUALLY WANTS TO BE HERE, Play their butts off for the team, and work hard all the time like Coetzee (loved his style of play by the way - the odd mistake and all)(as you mention SND)) that we have just lost to keep a bonehead like Watt. And I have not always been opposed to Watt, but now, I am calling him a bonehead. A team that consistently works hard and has players on them that want to be there and work every night and every shift WILL do well, no matter what the odds. Keep a "Watt"-type player and it is demoralizing to the team, rubs off and not good for the morale. Any young player that may make a mistake or two but plays their hearts out every game will outplay this type of player (Watt) any day - hands down. How can you compete against a 4 penalty per game guy when you have a player that works hard and barely has any penalties......this last month has been a little bit of a puzzler to me. All the happenings.........as I said before......show me the improvement RD has made since the beginning of the season (wins and losses) and the trades that were made to improve the team....with not much of a different result since start....... I THROW UP MY HANDS!!!!!!!!

FreddieFender
12-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Reimer and Watt are both good players, but neither will command much in a trade because neither is likely to return next year. Reimer might return, but not likely. Makes me wonder if there is any team out there in need of both a goaltender and a tough 20 year old with some scoring ability. Am I dreaming if I wish that Reimer and Watt could be packaged together to get a decent player or prospect in return?

SectionNDeserter
12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Reimer might return, but not likely.I think Reimer returning next season has a lot to do with whether or not the Leafs can unload Raycroft on someone, otherwise they still have at least Pogge and Clemmenson in their farm system. My gut feeling is that there is a pretty good chance he will return next season.

Am I dreaming if I wish that Reimer and Watt could be packaged together to get a decent player or prospect in return?Reimer is the kind of player that could really put a competitive team over the top. Including Watt in the deal would do nothing but lower Reimer's value in the deal. As for trading Watt in a separate deal, at one time I would have thought this impossible, but then the Rebels managed to unload a player who was quite possibly the worst goaltender in the history of the WHL in Andrew Leslie and got some pretty decent players in return. I guess only time will tell.

Dwight Schrute
12-07-2007, 02:54 AM
perhaps aquiring david aime was a precurser to trading reimer ? good goalie who could split time with clark.

RebelsFan
12-07-2007, 11:23 AM
The GMs in he league know that the Rebels would probably be moving Reimer. Now that he has been a little more consistent, they may be able to move him. He has good numbers but was inconsistent in his play. Rebels have no real goalies coming up the system at this time that are capable of even being a consistent backup to Clark. They needed to find a backup for Clark for end of this year and next year.

SectionNDeserter
12-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Rolheiser looked fine in training camp this season (and last season), and could easily fill that hole. From what some of the PA fans have said, David Aime could also fill the role of backup.

rebelfan
12-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Now that he has been a little more consistent, they may be able to move him. He has good numbers but was inconsistent in his play.

*taken from WHL site
Player Team GP Mins Shots GA SO Avg. % Wins Losses OTL SL
1 Dustin Tokarski Spokane Chiefs 17 939 344 26 3 1.66 0.924 12 2 0 1
2 James Reimer Red Deer Rebels 21 1148 576 48 0 2.51 0.917 5 9 4 0
3 Travis Yonkman Swift Current Broncos 28 1564 715 60 2 2.30 0.916 14 8 0 5
4 Kevin Armstrong Spokane Chiefs 15 873 367 31 2 2.13 0.916 10 3 1 1
5 * Riku Helenius Seattle Thunderbirds 19 1089 556 48 1 2.65 0.914 7 7 5 0
6 Kris Lazaruk Kootenay Ice 23 1284 665 58 1 2.71 0.913 12 8 1 0
7 * Thomas Heemskerk Kootenay Ice 12 657 297 26 1 2.38 0.912 6 3 2 0
8 Dan Spence Calgary Hitmen 20 1191 458 41 2 2.07 0.910 12 4 1 2
9 Joey Perricone Moose Jaw Warriors 25 1410 737 66 2 2.81 0.910 11 8 4 2
10 Kurtis Mucha Portland Winter Hawks 18 1016 690 63 1 3.72 0.909 4 14 0

Player Team GP Mins Shots GA SO Avg. % Wins Losses OTL SL
1 Dustin Tokarski Spokane Chiefs 17 939 344 26 3 1.66 0.924 12 2 0 1
2 Tyson Sexsmith Vancouver Giants 29 1695 602 58 5 2.05 0.904 20 5 1 3
3 Dan Spence Calgary Hitmen 20 1191 458 41 2 2.07 0.910 12 4 1 2
4 Kevin Armstrong Spokane Chiefs 15 873 367 31 2 2.13 0.916 10 3 1 1
5 Travis Yonkman Swift Current Broncos 28 1564 715 60 2 2.30 0.916 14 8 0 5
6 * Thomas Heemskerk Kootenay Ice 12 657 297 26 1 2.38 0.912 6 3 2 0
7 Michael Maniago Lethbridge Hurricanes 20 1174 465 47 2 2.40 0.899 13 5 1 1
8 Joe Caligiuri Brandon Wheat Kings 26 1474 632 59 0 2.40 0.907 17 8 0 0
9 * Juha Metsola Lethbridge Hurricanes 14 763 293 31 0 2.44 0.894 8 4 0 0
10 James Reimer Red Deer Rebels 21 1148 576 48 0 2.51 0.917 5 9 4 0

(sorry the formatting didn't work too well)
Does anyone notice something here? 1)Neither Irving or Sexsmith make the top 10 in save % & only Sexsmith makes it into top 10 GAA. (Using the goalies going to WJ camp as comparison) And check out who Reimer is keeping company with in the top 10..all top teams in their divisions. The Rebels are no way near even 10th spot in the league but our goalie is sitting in 10th GAA and 2nd save%. That speaks of a lot more than some shaky starts at the beginning of the season. Irving's shaky start certainly didn't keep him from getting an invite to WJ's. Maybe Reimer deserves a little more credit than he's been getting. Look at his November and December stats and tell me why we are still harping on inconsistency?! Reimer in December 1.76GAA/.943Sav%. Irving in December 3.21GAA/.892Sav%) Someone said it's not just about his latest stats...check out Irving/Reimer November stats (Irving 2.41GAA .911%/Reimer 2.17GAA.926%).... In 123 shots in December, Reimer has allowed 7 goals. If we are going to talk about inconsistency, would his inconsistent play earlier in the season have anything to do with his backup getting 17 starts in the first 30 games? If you look at Clark's play it has also been very inconsistent. I think either you play your goaltenders alternately like Spokane and they know it is the system or you have a starter and a backup and each tender knows his place. I think it is an insult to James Reimer to think you would have to package him with another player to get value for him. Enough about Reimer, I am in agreement with the post that commented on Watt coming from a Memorial Cup team to a rebuilding team in his last year. What motivation can there be? I'm sure he wanted to stay in the farm system. I think Watt is doing exactly what the coaches want him to do. If they wanted change they'd tell him to change. He's played long enough in the system to know what's expected of him. I think it is a combination of frustration and miscues. He's a good player and needs to settle down and accept his lot. If he sees a pro career ahead, he might get down to business after Christmas and show us what made him a member of a winning team.

Brandonite
12-08-2007, 04:43 AM
In J.D. Watt's case, it must be really tough to play for a Memoril Cup contending team for 3 straight years in Vancouver to only go to a team in your final season of Junior hockey where you sit at 8-22 and about 20 points out of the playoffs, it has to be hard! But it is not only hard for Watt...its hard for everyone! I don't imagine Mark Louis is having the time of his life losing every night. Suck it up, Watt is already on an NHL contract by Calgary and should be going out every night to prove hes ready to take the next step...if he can't even do that then he will never make it anywhere!

penman
12-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Brandonite you are so rite.Everyone knows these kids drafted and sighned have talent to play there or they wouldnt be were they are.However teams are also really looking for 3 more attributes character charecter charecter.

FreddieFender
12-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Rebelfan

My post where I wondered about the possibility of packaging Watt and Reimer together began by saying that both are good players. I repeat, "Both are good players". The reason I complemented both of them first was to establish some context in which my my further comments would be interpreted and to hopefully prevent readers posters from taking the remainder of the comments as an insult. Not once did I suggest that their value at this point was based on poor performance. I think you are alone in your belief that my comments were an insult to Reminer, or even Watt for that matter.

SectionNDeserter
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I think Watt is doing exactly what the coaches want him to do. If they wanted change they'd tell him to change. He's played long enough in the system to know what's expected of him.I seriously doubt that the coaches asked him go out and get 8 games worth of suspensions, nor do I think they told him to go out and float around for about 12 of the other games that he did play in. He had a superb game last night, but as we have all seen this year, that performance has been the exception.

He's a good player and needs to settle down and accept his lot. If he sees a pro career ahead, he might get down to business after Christmas and show us what made him a member of a winning team.I couldn't agree more, lets hope that this game was a turning point of sorts for him.

WorkHorse
12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Rolheiser looked fine in training camp this season (and last season), and could easily fill that hole. From what some of the PA fans have said, David Aime could also fill the role of backup.

That's only if they want to be a backup or play on a regular basis. I don't think Rolheiser wants to sit in the dub when he can play in the AJ.

SectionNDeserter
12-08-2007, 03:08 PM
If he is ambitious enough of a fellow, he might see the departing of the veteran netminder as an opportunity to win the starter's job.

WorkHorse
12-08-2007, 06:44 PM
If he is ambitious enough of a fellow, he might see the departing of the veteran netminder as an opportunity to win the starter's job.

In some instances that may be true, but in this one highly unlikely.

rebelfan
12-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey Rebelfan

My post where I wondered about the possibility of packaging Watt and Reimer together began by saying that both are good players. I repeat, "Both are good players". The reason I complemented both of them first was to establish some context in which my my further comments would be interpreted and to hopefully prevent readers posters from taking the remainder of the comments as an insult. Not once did I suggest that their value at this point was based on poor performance. I think you are alone in your belief that my comments were an insult to Reminer, or even Watt for that matter.

Yes, I noticed you did say both were good players. J.D. Watt like all the kids on the team need support and faith in their play. If they get ripped apart here, they will feel like they have no fan support. Good fan support is the least we can give these guys when they are struggling and trying to climb up out of the cellar. Constructive criticism is always a good thing as long as it is spaced with positive reinforcement but to be negative and make personal comments about the kids is not going to help them. FF I did not feel you were being negative. I thought you were saying we would have to package the two to get one player in return. Thanks for the clarification.

Reimer got hurt in the game against Regina. Game sheet shows he was supposed to get the start today but didn't play and Clark got the start instead. Was definitely favoring his leg last night. Hope he's okay. I think Rollheiser could very well play here and give the Rebels a good tandem. He has a good attitude too unlike Eidsness who wanted all or nothing. I disagree that the Rebels have no one coming up. There was a kid from Chiliwack taken in the bantem draft this year who looked pretty good in camp (can't remember his name).

Rebels30
12-08-2007, 11:57 PM
There was a kid from Chiliwack taken in the bantem draft this year who looked pretty good in camp (can't remember his name).

There was a kid named Cam Gorchynski from Chilliwack at camp this season and looked as if he was pretty good (I don't know if that is who your thinking of)

RebelsFan
12-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Gorchynski would be a couple of years away at best.

rebelfan
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, Gorchynski is the kid I was referring to. He is a couple of years away but with Rollheiser and Clark you wouldn't really be looking for a couple of years. Rollheiser has 2 years left to play and Clark would have 3.

WorkHorse
12-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Travis backing up Morgan tonite. Reimer?

RebelsFan
12-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Reimer was hurt tonight but I am pretty sure he will be moved before the deadline.

armypower
12-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Every time I've seen Reimer play in Calgary, he has been excellent, don't see him every game but I think he is a quality goaltender,,Don't know who they have waiting in the wings but tonight in Cowtown both of there guys weren't good.......Whoever gets him will be lucky,, As for Watt, whoever needs a typical grinder,,,way overrated

12-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Every time I've seen Reimer play in Calgary, he has been excellent, don't see him every game but I think he is a quality goaltender,,Don't know who they have waiting in the wings but tonight in Cowtown both of there guys weren't good.......Whoever gets him will be lucky,, As for Watt, whoever needs a typical grinder,,,way overrated

the last thing i think Watt is, is over rated!!! he is on a FARRRRR less superior team this year. Give him someone other then Brandon Sutter to work with, and you'd see the JD the giants all knew and loved from last season. Its hard for him to make plays or score goals when realistically he only has 1 other player who is of the caliber he's used to playing with. And he has always played in van, perhaps the adjustment is huge.

rebelfan
12-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Good to see Brandon make World Juniors and congrats on being named an alternate captain. He's done well on the international scene. Since Morgan Clark did not make selection camp maybe now we can get down to some real hockey. In the last week or 2 Reimer has finally been given the chance to play again & is showing why he was a 3rd round draft pick. Like armypower said he is a quality goaltender. He has not been given his due in Red Deer. Like Knackstedt, I would like to see what he could do given the freedom to do it. (Saw Kanckstedt figured in 5 of the 6 goals tonight.) Reimer hurt his ankle in the game against Regina. Doubt he's back for Sunday's game. Might have played his last Rebel game?? How long will they hang on to him? I thought Rollheiser was pretty good considering it was Calgary and his very first WHL game. That's how Reimer started. Leslie got pulled in Calgary and Reimer got his first WHL game in the Saddledome, replacing the starter who was having an off night.

The catapault from a first place team to a last place team would be devastating and I don't blame Watt if he is frustrated. Give him credit, he goes out and plays every night. He's been around long enough to know that doing his time will give him time in the big leagues next year and so I hope he is looking at the bigger picture not clawing at the peephole he's in now.

SectionNDeserter
12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
He has not been given his due in Red Deer. Like Knackstedt, I would like to see what he could do given the freedom to do it.Reimer has 122 WHL games under his belt, almost all as our STARTING goaltender, including SIXTY starts last season. He has been given far more than his due in Red Deer, it is just to the point now that he has a lot more starts in the WHL behind him than he does in front of him. With all the goaltenders we have now, I think it is to our benefit to both move him to a team where he can win something in what could be his last WHL season while getting something back for him that can make our team stronger for the future. Dealing Clark is a bit more of a gamble, but it would show that the Rebels are looking to have a much more competitive season next season.

As has been mentioned numerous times by myself and many others, Knackstedt had ample opportunities in Red Deer (164 games), and neither made the most of them nor did he improve at all at any point in his final season here. He is a good kid, so it is good that he is finally having success in what could very well be his final WHL season, but barring dealing Brandon Sutter, Kirill Starkov, Martin Hanzal, Dustin Moore and/or Ted Vandermeer last season, him getting more ice time here was an impossibility. There is absolutely no way that we could have kept him here, nor is there any possible way that he was going to improve here, its time for you to walk this off already.

The catapault from a first place team to a last place team would be devastating and I don't blame Watt if he is frustrated. Give him credit, he goes out and plays every night. He's been around long enough to know that doing his time will give him time in the big leagues next year and so I hope he is looking at the bigger picture not clawing at the peephole he's in now.It also has to be bittersweet for him to be performing under what is practically the magnifying glass of the GM of the NHL team that has him under contract (and an awful lot of pressure). He seems to have eased up on the sort of play that was getting him suspended/injured/tossed every other game in the first half of the season, I think he will have a much better second half.

rebelfan
12-16-2007, 04:00 PM
lol SND, thought that remark about Knacker would spur a comment. As far as Knackstead goes if he had been allowed to play in Red Deer in the position he was trained and skilled to play, he would have been just fine. He was asked to take a second seat to Brandon and to play in a role that he was not meant to fit. If there was room for Wray & Doucet & Morin...there was room for him. I don't buy that line. In a conversation recently among some friends at the rink the comment was made that had Knackstedt been allowed to play with Karill and Hanzel the Rebels would have been dynamite but that spot was reserved for Brandon and no one was going to step into it. You can take that for what it is worth.

As far as Reimer, yes, because he has played so many games in the WHL I thought it was sad to put him on the shelf at the beginning of this season. He certainly was not treated like the kind of goaltender he has proven himself to be on the long haul. It is easy to muster a little extra when you're fresh and full of dreams at the beginning of the year and make to look like a break out year, which in Morgan Clark it kinda looked like that at first but almost immediately his numbers began to sag. You have to be motivated on a nightly basis. You have to work your butt off every day. Reimer has proven his work ethic, his desire to be a winning goaltender and what you produce in the stretch will say a whole lot more than a little burst at the beginning. I have noticed that a lot of goals are scored on Clark in the third period. Tired? Indicative of not working hard in the training room? Reimer on the other hand will often have his goals scored early and then steps up to the plate and frustrates the opponent with no chances. Clark may well do a great job as a goaltender some day but right now he needs to think about what it takes to get there. The fact that he was promised the backup job before training camp was even over may not have been a favor to him. Maybe subconsciously he's become too complacent, thinking he's got his job sewn up and handed to him on a platter. Might have been better to have made him sweat it out like most kids coming to training camp.

SectionNDeserter
12-16-2007, 06:12 PM
He was asked to take a second seat to Brandon and to play in a role that he was not meant to fit.I guess that is where we will have to agree to disagree. I will take a player drafted 11th overall in the NHL draft (that is also a full year younger) playing on my first line over one taken 189th overall any day of the week--but maybe thats why I'm not the coach...

If there was room for Wray & Doucet & Morin...there was room for him. I don't buy that line.Nothing about that statement makes any sense whatsoever. Wray is a center, who played on the 3rd line with Doucet last season. If Knackstedt didn't want to take a second seat to Brandon and play on the second line, he sure wouldn't have been happy on the 3rd line in place of Wray or Doucet! And just for your own records, Morin played on the blueline for us last season......

In a conversation recently among some friends at the rink the comment was made that had Knackstedt been allowed to play with Karill and Hanzel the Rebels would have been dynamite but that spot was reserved for Brandon and no one was going to step into it.Brandon was and is the best all-around player on the team, and where he was selected in the NHL entry draft speaks volumes about that. You could be correct in your imaginary scenario, but I really don't know what coach in a correct state of mind would take a chance on playing a player who I don't even recall even being ranked by CSB in place of a future 1st round NHL draft selection, especially when that particular unranked player was currently being outworked/outplayed by Dustin Moore and a few others on the team.

As far as Reimer, yes, because he has played so many games in the WHL I thought it was sad to put him on the shelf at the beginning of this season.On the shelf? I am pretty sure that him and Clark split starts more or less until he had a really bad game on their west coast trip, and Clark played 5 or so games in a row. I would hardly call this putting him on the shelf, I would call it making sure that you have a goalie that can play in the event of an injury to Reimer, or in the event that he isn't around next season.
Maybe subconsciously he's become too complacent, thinking he's got his job sewn up and handed to him on a platter. Might have been better to have made him sweat it out like most kids coming to training camp.Like the imports, I think teams make a lot of promises to the American players to get them to play here rather than go the NCAA route that most of them go. You are probably right about the job being more or less handed to him on a platter, as I felt Rolheiser gave him a pretty good run for his money in training camp. With all the goalies they have picked up, it looks like they are revoking his subconscious platter...

Swando
12-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Watt would probably fit into the Giants plans again if it wouldn't look so bad in trading for a player previously traded. (Looking from the Rebels point of view) I think Hay could be one of few coaches that could set him straight. Giants are looking for a 20 yr D man but still have a 20 spot open. I wouldn't want him back unless he'd give up his bonehead penalties.. But a power forward is not that easy to come by.

Eye.Of.The.Tiger
12-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I was at the game tonight in Edmonton and Reimer was scratched, Rolheiser was the backup for Clark. Luke Egener didnt play either which is no surprise to anybody probably.

FreddieFender
12-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Knacksteadt is not the player that Sutter is. Sutter is younger, has more hockey sense and is a more complete hockey player. But why would we have favored Vandermeer and Moore over Knacksteadt last year? Both Moore and Vandermeer were 20 year olds at the time Knackstead was traded. Moore came in and did a great job. He earned and deserved every bit of ice time he received. But Knacksteadt was every bit the player Teddy was, and was two years younger. It's only my opinion, but I think we should have held on to Jordan. If Jordan was not happy with his playing time, well that's where coaching, leadership, and team philosophy comes into it. We have to find a way to make better than average 18 year olds compete for more ice time while respecting overall team philosophy at the same time.

SectionNDeserter
12-16-2007, 08:10 PM
But Knacksteadt was every bit the player Teddy was, and was two years younger.Perhaps from a trade value standpoint, but Knackstedt was a winger with good size and great strength, while Vandermeer was very light, and not so strong. Vandermeer went full tilt and gave 100% every shift, even though he didn't have all the tools that Knackstedt has. Knackstedt showed some flashes of talent, but always spent part of his time on the ice floating, and despite his size got beat on the boards all the time. The amount of work and sacrifice a player can display on the ice goes a long way on a Sutter-run team (team philosophy).

It's only my opinion, but I think we should have held on to Jordan. If Jordan was not happy with his playing time, well that's where coaching, leadership, and team philosophy comes into it. We have to find a way to make better than average 18 year olds compete for more ice time while respecting overall team philosophy at the same time.That is always the best route for a team to take, but for some players it is far easier to just request a trade to a team that doesn't have quite as much depth at his particular position, than it is to try to outwork 2 or 3 guys that are ahead of him on the depth chart. If you can address a glaring weakness on your team (nobody below the 2nd line that could win a faceoff, penalty killing), while getting rid of a player that doesn't want to play on it, you are doing quite well in my opinion.

Rebrevs
12-16-2007, 08:40 PM
....Jordan Knackstedt was one of the first players, if not THE first player to be given the opportunity to play with Starkov and Hanzel. I don't buy the statement by rebelfan that that position was reserved for Brandon. It seems to me their were many who rotated in and out of that third linemate roll. Brett Sutter was there for awhile as well.

FreddieFender
12-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I recall Brett Sutter being the first to be placed on a line with Hanzal and Starkov as well, although it did not last more than a half a dozen home games or so.

dondo
12-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Watt would probably fit into the Giants plans again if it wouldn't look so bad in trading for a player previously traded. (Looking from the Rebels point of view) I think Hay could be one of few coaches that could set him straight. Giants are looking for a 20 yr D man but still have a 20 spot open. I wouldn't want him back unless he'd give up his bonehead penalties.. But a power forward is not that easy to come by.

oh come on swando, the Rebels fans have already figured out the phenomenon of Good Watt, Bad Watt ... for you guys who didn't read the Giants forum - we would rate Watt post-game on whether Good Watt or Bad Watt showed up. Good Watt was most prevalent when playing with Reese.

JD has some great skills, but he is one of the dumbest hockey players this side of Bertuzzi. he'll take very dumb penalties at bad times in the game. Its really too bad because the up-side is very tasty when he's on his game (Good Watt), but that said I wouldn't want him back for anything -- he can drag down a team at times and is not really what I would call a team guy. Its a shame that Sutter isn't there anymore as I think he might have been able to shape and mold JD, but without a really strong voice behind the bench JD pretty much does what he wants.

rebelfan
12-18-2007, 02:00 AM
I was at the game tonight in Edmonton and Reimer was scratched, Rolheiser was the backup for Clark. Luke Egener didnt play either which is no surprise to anybody probably.

Reimer, Kot & Ferraro were scratched because of injuries this weekend.

Arthur Fonzerelli
12-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Nice to see that JD hasn't been the poster boy for "Bonehead of the Week" for a while. He can really contribute to this young group if he choses to play for the team and not his ego. Hopefully the Rebs can bring it down the stretch and pick up some valuable playoff experience for the kids.

Rebel66
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh my, Watt ends up getting a 5 minute major and game in his debut tonight for the Pats. We've seen that story before. Get ready to sit yet again, J.D.

I'm glad to see the back of that sideshow. Gross, on the other hand, has played really well so far.