PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Take Show On The Road

Scout
12-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Broncos ready to take show on the road
BY STEVEN MAH

The slumping Swift Current Broncos snapped a three-game losing streak with a workman-like 4-1 win over the Red Deer Rebels on Tuesday night.

Playing their last home game before departing on a six-game road trip to the West Coast, and without the services of five regulars, the Broncos dominated the last place Rebels in nearly every facet of the game.

Swift Current got goals from Dale Weise, Keegan Dansereau, Brad Hoban, and an empty net goal from overage rearguard Michael Wilson.

Brandon Sutter scored Red Deer's lone goal when he connected for his team leading 10th of the season during a second period powerplay.

The Broncos received a much need boost from 15-year-old first round bantam draft pick Christian Magnus, who looked right at home on the top line as he skated with Dale Weise and Levi Nelson in the absence of Geordie Wudrick.

Magnus, in his third regular season WHL game, took a regular shift and saw plenty of powerplay time with the top unit, displaying great vision and a surprising ability to win battles for the puck in the corners.

Broncos goaltender Travis Yonkman was solid in net making 20 saves to improve his record to 13-8-0-5. No save was more crucial than a third period stop on JD Watt, who was all alone behind the Broncos defense looking to close the deficit to 3-2 with only 2:39 remaining in the contest.

Rebels netminder James Reimer stopped 25 of 28 shots, including numerous acrobatic saves down the stretch.

The win improved the Broncos record to 16-10-0-5, two points back of the Regina Pats for third in the East Division.

On Friday the Broncos will be in Cranbrook to face the Kootenay Ice before crossing the American border for five games against U.S. Division opponents in nine days.

Yonkman thinks the Broncos can use the win over the Rebels to build some confidence.

"We knew they were not a very skilled team but they work hard. That is something that we were lacking in the last couple of games was our work ethic, so we had to step it up. Getting our work ethic back this game will have a huge impact on the U.S. road trip."

Yonkman says the team will take the trip one game at a time.

"Of course we want to be 100 per cent right, we want to win every game, but we want to take it one game at a time. We start in Kootenay first and then down to Spokane and those are two good teams, so hopefully we can get a couple of points out of there."

Broncos 18-year-old defenseman Eric Doyle is looking forward to returning to Everett on Dec. 12th to face his former team.

"It will be fun. There are a bunch of buddies there that I haven't seen for a while. It is a pretty crazy barn, pretty loud, and the fans get into it. I am excited to get back there and play in that barn again."

Doyle explained that the team is looking forward the road trip.

"I know there are a lot of guys that haven't even been to the States yet. There are different fans and a different atmosphere than out here in the East. I think that all the guys are excited and ready to get going."