PDA

View Full Version : Swift Current 1 @ Kootenay 0

Big Ern
12-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Travis Yonkman kept the Teddy Bears at bay.

What a nerve-wracking game tonight in Cranbrook! The Broncos led 1-0 early in the first period on a short-handed goal by Erik Felde, and it remained that way right to the end.

Give Yonks most of the credit for tonight's win. He stood on his head, and that extra motivation of "Teddy Bear toss night" seemed to help him along. Although Kootenay had some UNCANNY scoring chances, including one or two wide open nets to shoot at, Yonks was there for the big ones throughout the game. A fantastic performance by our number one goaltender tonight!

Were the guys really ready to play tonight? The first period was just so-so, and even though Felde scored to give his team a one-goal lead, it seemed the Broncos had a bit of trouble making that first pass out of their own zone. They also had trouble getting directly to the net...lots of shots from about 40 feet out, and not much puck pressure on Kootenay goaltender Kris Lazaruk. The first period wasn't really what you would want to see from the team to start this road trip. It had me on the edge just a tad.

But wait! The second period was kinda' worse. Our team was outshot by a whopping 16-3 count in that second frame, and no one seemed to be in it at all, except Travis Yonkman. Give Kootenay credit..they came full force, but were stymied repeatedly by Yonkman, and did not capitalize on some great scoring chances. Still, the Broncos managed to not only keep Kootenay from scoring, but score a goal themselves, despite playing a laid-back type of hockey. It should have been 2-0 after two. Dale Weise clearly scored a goal on a delayed penalty call. The ref waved it off and implied that the puck was touched by Kootenay before Weise shot it home. "Touched??" In order for the whistle to blow in that situation, Kootenay would have had to "control" the puck...not just "touch" it, as the rule book CLEARLY states. I watched the cast, I replayed that particular play, and no, Kootenay did NOT control the puck. So Dale Weise did in fact, make it 2-0 Swift Current. Not so on the scoreboard however. That's the way things roll along sometimes. You have to go with it. The way they played in that second period, I would think the Broncos were thankful they still had the one-goal lead.

Then, in the third and final frame, our team came through. They worked extremely hard and outshot the Ice 14-6 in the final 20 minutes. They grinded out the 1-0 win. At times, it seemed like Kootenay controlled longer then they should have, but let no one forget, that Kootenay is a really REALLY good hockey club. They have some guys that can fly up front, and to keep them from scoring a single goal when they are pressured like that is amazing. Good job by our guys to get the road win in the end.

The fact of the matter remains: Teams don't really care how pretty they play on the road. If it was a greasy one, so be it. Guess who got the "W" and the two points in the end? :)

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

NOTES:

-ROUND 2 of the CHYNOWETH BATTLE goes to Deano. In Deano we trust. lol WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

FACT: Cory McLean, tonight's referee, was consistently horrible both ways. He was extremely unpredictable, and seemed to be watching a different game. What else is new?

-the Kootenay Ice colour man (I believe his last name is Murdoch) sounded all game long like he was having a baby. He moaned and groaned with every opportunity for both teams...just like an old man having a sh*t. No kidding here!

-how disappointing is it when as a fan, you don't get a chance to throw your Teddy Bear? I can't really imagine it.

-the Broncos will have to bring all they've got if they want to beat the Chiefs tomorrow.....that would include the second and third period. It CAN be done. I'm totally optimistic about it.

-I will probably miss some of tomorrow's game, due to me being busy doing the public address announcing for the PEEWEE Broncos at 7:15. Missing some of the webcast will suck. But BOY....am I excited for another two games of announcing this weekend!! WHEEEWWW!!

again...LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

bronco rep
12-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Great start Broncos. Great recap Ern, but other then the second period i thought we played pretty well. See you tomorrow at 7:15. Its a first place show down this weekend.

Scout
12-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Keen's Korner

Friday, December 07, 2007
Broncos Play Scrooge, Blank Ice On Teddy Bear Toss Night

Erik Felde's shorthanded goal 11:25 into the first period would stand up as the game winner as Travis Yonkman made all 34 saves for the shutout and the 1-0 Broncos win. The teddy bear's had to wait 'till the end of the game to be thrown on the ice as several fans tossed them in disappoint after the final buzzer went.

The Broncos saved the last period to play their best - outshooting the Ice 14-6 in the final frame while giving them only a couple of scoring chances along the way.

The Broncos actually did score an insurance marker as Dale Wiese slapped home the puck on a centering feed out of the corner on a delayed penalty. Referee Cory Maclean (who actually called a pretty good game), inadvertently blew his whistle when the puck was thrown out of the corner and in front of the net just as Wiese sent it home.

"He told me Kootenay touched it" Wiese said to me in the bus on the way over to BP's while explaining his animated conversation with the referee. Well, a member of the Ice didn't touch it until goaltender Kris Lazaruk scooped the puck out from the back of the net. Maybe it was payback. The Broncos lone goal of the night was offside and maybe should have been blown down.

Regardless, the Broncos didn't need the insurance as they held on for the 1-0 win. Pretty good way to start to six game road trip. The Broncos grinded one out, something they have been guilty of not doing very well this year.

Next up, the best team in the WHL in the Spokane Chiefs tomorrow night. We're on the air at 8:30pm SK time, 9pm play-by-play. It's another Teddy Bear Toss Night. Can the Broncos do it again?

Flathead
12-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Did we get anyone back from injury last night, how about tonight??

Toswammi
12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Did we get anyone back from injury last night, how about tonight??

Eakin and Rogers were the scratches

Scout
12-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Yonkman spoils Teddy Bear Toss in Kootenay
STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos won their second straight game with a 1-0 win over Kootenay on Friday night in the first game of their six game West Coast road trip.

Erik Felde’s shorthanded marker midway through the first period held up as Travis Yonkman turned aside 34 shots for his second shutout of the season.

Yonkman and the Broncos managed to spoil Teddy Bear Toss night in Cranbrook as they forced the Ice fans to hold onto their bears until they were celebrating their 17th victory and the fourth shutout of Yonkman’s career.

Despite being outshout 12-9 and 16-3, Yonkman managed to get the Broncos to the third period with a 1-0 lead where they outshot Kootenay 14-6.

The Broncos failed to score on five powerplay opportunities while the Ice failed to connect on four man-advantages.

The win improved the Broncos’ record to 17-10-0-5, third place in the WHL’s East Division.

Kootenay’s record dropped to 18-12-3-0, third place in the Central Division.

Saturday night the Broncos will visit the first place 22-5-1-2 Spokane Chiefs who have allowed a league low 59 goals in 30 games.

Flathead
12-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Eakin and Rogers were the scratches
thanks for that, good to see that we're getting healthy again.