PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 1 @ Chiefs 3

Big Ern
12-09-2007, 12:15 AM
It was a pretty good tilt tonight from Spokane, as the Broncos, a highly offensive team, faced off against the Chiefs, undoubtedly the best defensive team in the CHL.

The Broncos really brought their game tonight...especially in the first and third period. The second period was a bit sloppy.....the defensive coverage was a bit questionable. Travis Yonkman was exceptional in goal again, as he stymied Spokane on many occations. He stayed with the play very well, and kept the Chiefs at bay...especially late in that third period with a slew of Bronco penalties. There was one big glitch in this one, however. Frustration boiled over for our team late in the third period, and three of our veterans took consecutive penalties...really not a helpful thing to do if you're relied upon to lead the charge. That probably killed any chance to Broncos had of a comeback. Frustration will do that sometimes....you can't really fault our team tonight. They not only kept this team at bay for most of the game, they scored first. Levi Nelson and Dale Weise caught the Chiefs on a bad change, and the puck found it's way behind Kevin Armstrong for the first Swift Current tally. Besides that, the Broncos threw out some thunderous hits in the third period. I thought the physical aspect of the game was played very well by our guys, and that certainly helps along. I'm not amazed, but mostly satisfied with the effort. The guys stayed with the Chiefs pretty much throughout. Hopefully, the next paragraph will explain this a bit more.

The Chiefs are amazing on defense. Spokane has a paltry 60 goals allowed so far this season...by FAR the fewest in the league. I've taken the time to watch about six Spokane games this season on my WHL webcast subscription. This defense is what every coach dreams of. They make me think of how New York Islanders coach, Ted Nolan, described the Dallas Stars' (excuse me for bringing up Dallas again, but inevitable...lol) defense the other day. "You get your small chances at the beginning, but once they burp the lid, you're done." That's how the Chiefs seem to operate. Whatever got by their defense, was swallowed by their goalie tonight. You can call it one h*ll of a trap. But it brings them success, and that's what matters at this point. Here's the trouble: The Chiefs might collapse in the playoffs. For some reason, teams like that can't get it done when it counts at the end. The proof once again, is in Dallas. How successful have they been in the playoffs? Not very. When you're a top team relying on the defense to win you games, the pressure seems to take effect when playoffs roll around. Eventually, it gets the better of every team that operates this way. That would include Evrett in last year's playoffs. Anyway...right now the Chiefs own the best D that I've seen so far this season. We'll see how they do in playoffs when they get there, I guess.

The Broncos, meanwhile, will enjoy a day off tomorrow. That will no doubt bode well for the club...the guys need to have some fun and do some shopping with that high Canadian dollar in their pockets. haha Must be nice. And then on Monday, hopefully they can bring the same effort as they did tonight and focus on a few aspects a bit more. Confidence is very high! This is a great team.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

NOTES:

-I missed four minutes of the game tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed another night of P.A. announcing for the PEWEE Broncos at Fairview East. My game ended there just as the Bronco game started in Spoke. Anyway....the young guys managed a 5-3 win over the Weyburn Youngfellows, and are looking to follow that up with another victory tomorrow at 12 noon. I can't wait!

-isn't the Spokane Arena GEORGEOUS? The colours are really what gets me. Be it the scoreboard, the stands, or the all-around TV setup, that arena is lit up with georgeous colours. Call it a light show...if you will.

-Spokane broadcaster, Mike Boyle, is a great announcer. He has a completely different style...kind of a slow drawl, but still manages to make the game sound very exciting. It's not the first time I've listened to him, and will not be the last time either. He is really unbaised too...calls it like it really is. That impresses me.

-for all those who noticed: In some of my posts lately, I've repeatedly called the Broncos' goaltending consultant, Kevin Swanson, "Dave Swanson." I've met too many new people in the last year and as a result, this stuff happens. His name is Kevin...not Dave. haha

Have a great weekend!

HAF
12-09-2007, 01:55 AM
I was with you until you brought up Mike Boyle...... That guy is near the worst in the league. Even most Spokane faithful refuse to listen to that guy. He is completely horrid IMO. According to him the Chiefs have never been called on a penalty they deserved and if a Chief trips over the red line he starts screaming about a "no call". Maybe a few Chiefs fans will chime in here...lol

Big Ern
12-09-2007, 02:09 AM
I was with you until you brought up Mike Boyle...... That guy is near the worst in the league. Even most Spokane faithful refuse to listen to that guy. He is completely horrid IMO. According to him the Chiefs have never been called on a penalty they deserved and if a Chief trips over the red line he starts screaming about a "no call". Maybe a few Chiefs fans will chime in here...lol

Come on HAF...you have to like Mr. Boyle's style of broadcasting. HAHAHA. Those guys are all homers at different times except Bruce Luebke in Brandon...he really doesn't care. lol

bronco rep
12-09-2007, 10:00 AM
clrkth Good recap Ern Thanks for being the best announcer the Pee Wee Broncos have ever had. We want to thank u for the unbelievible work u have done!

Little Behmer and the Broncos!

cranky
12-09-2007, 10:55 AM

this chief fan quit listening to broadcasts the day Westie left for the Tri......
Boyle takes homerism to the extreme........

Bocephus
12-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Now I may just have to watch a Chiefs game to see how aweful a homer Boyle is? Thanks, looking forward to it.
btw, The Fan960 from Calgary was talking about homerism and it was quite funny that they said under no circumstances does the hometown guy lose the fight. It is just a rule no matter how bad he was beat the player always landed the decision maker at the end. haha
Sounds about right and I wouldn't have it any other way.

dodywood4ever
12-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Any recaps on the scraps?

Big Ern
12-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Now I may just have to watch a Chiefs game to see how aweful a homer Boyle is? Thanks, looking forward to it.
btw, The Fan960 from Calgary was talking about homerism and it was quite funny that they said under no circumstances does the hometown guy lose the fight. It is just a rule no matter how bad he was beat the player always landed the decision maker at the end. haha
Sounds about right and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hey..yeah! Please watch Spokane at home when you get the chance, come back here, and tell us what you think. lol

I have to admit...he's really not the guy I described in my post when I said "unbaised," but again, all of these guys are homers...they have a right to be. They travel with their team every mile of the way. When it gets to the point, they'll overlook proffessionalism just a bit....some more than others, and stick up for their squad on the air.

I do like Boyle's style of broadcasting however....

Flathead
12-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I watched and listened to the whole game as well and that announcer is hands down the biggest homer I've ever heard. I actually muted the game at times he had me so mad.

HomerSimpson
12-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Sure, Boyler is a homer...but it's kinda funny to listen to him sometimes, simply because of some of the things he says "THAT IS THE WORST CALL I'VE EVER...UGH...I'm speechless" pbj

What was Felde's problem last night? He went from challenging Cowen (bad idea, Cowen has him by at least 6 inches) to looking for a big open ice hit on our Euro (Roman), and then turtling when 17 year old softie Levko Koper challenged him, only to fight our spiritual leader Chris Bruton to end the game. Interesting turn of events...he would have been best off just scrapping with Koper and getting it over with.

ointhecreek
12-09-2007, 09:44 PM
What was Felde's problem last night? He went from challenging Cowen (bad idea, Cowen has him by at least 6 inches) to looking for a big open ice hit on our Euro (Roman), and then turtling when 17 year old softie Levko Koper challenged him, only to fight our spiritual leader Chris Bruton to end the game. Interesting turn of events...he would have been best off just scrapping with Koper and getting it over with.
Wow! Completely different events then the way I understood to have happened. I heard it was a big, clean totally legal hit that never got a penalty for then the Chiefs attacked him. Koper gets double minor for roughing and Smith beats the crap out of Rutherford. Sounds like Felde did pretty well against Bruton to. Just what do you mean spiritual leader? The way I understand Bruton challenged Felde, doesn't strike me as a "spiritual" thing to do. Must have watched a different game.

HomerSimpson
12-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow! Completely different events then the way I understood to have happened. I heard it was a big, clean totally legal hit that never got a penalty for then the Chiefs attacked him. Koper gets double minor for roughing and Smith beats the crap out of Rutherford. Sounds like Felde did pretty well against Bruton to. Just what do you mean spiritual leader? The way I understand Bruton challenged Felde, doesn't strike me as a "spiritual" thing to do. Must have watched a different game.

Spiritual leader is exactly what I meant. He threw a big hit, albeit clean, it was still a big hit trying to send a message. Against our Euro who wouldn't swat a fly, that's what made it an unexcusable hit. What generally happens when someone hits Sidney Crosby? His teammates come to his rescue, and usually the player throwing the hit has to drop the mits with someone. That's exactly what happened here, and Felde turtled when Koper tried to challenge him, so our captain came in and settled it for both Koper and Roman.

Just like I said before.

dodywood4ever
12-12-2007, 01:30 AM
So because your Euro cant handle himself he is now exempt from all hits? Does a "spiritual" leader get to wear a big S on his jersey?

ointhecreek
12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Spiritual leader is exactly what I meant. He threw a big hit, albeit clean, it was still a big hit trying to send a message. Against our Euro who wouldn't swat a fly, that's what made it an unexcusable hit. What generally happens when someone hits Sidney Crosby? His teammates come to his rescue, and usually the player throwing the hit has to drop the mits with someone. That's exactly what happened here, and Felde turtled when Koper tried to challenge him, so our captain came in and settled it for both Koper and Roman.

Just like I said before.
Since when is a big clean hit "unexcusable"? What kind of hockey do you watch and what kind of rule book? If your euro can't handle a clean check he better switch to figure skating.

Does a "spiritual" leader get to wear a big S on his jersey? LOL! Too funny! haha

Toswammi
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
So because your Euro cant handle himself he is now exempt from all hits? Does a "spiritual" leader get to wear a big S on his jersey?

Is that what the S on the Spokane jersey is for???? :p

dodywood4ever
12-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Is that what the S on the Spokane jersey is for???? :p

well played sir!!

HomerSimpson
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
There's a reason we're the number 2 team in the CHL...it's called team work.

How's third place feeling?

ointhecreek
12-12-2007, 06:03 PM

Best you could come up with? Don't like the jokes, don't come in our forum criticizing our players for something stupid. punk rock

Broncs in RD
12-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Did you see the g=headlines on ESPN!!!!
FELDE HITS EURO THEN FIGHTS SPIRITUAL LEADER.
New rule in the dub states that any player born outside of North America cannot be hit by any other player on the ice.
WHAT the hell is a spiritual leader, does he do special pow wows before games or pass a peace pipe around the dressing room. OMFG did I LMFAO

dodywood4ever
12-12-2007, 11:38 PM

Frorm a purely "spiritual" point of view does it really matter what place anybody is in? Every win should be rewarded with hugs not points.

Eye.Of.The.Tiger
12-12-2007, 11:40 PM
What happened to Stieler how come hes not in the lineup tonight in Everett

Toswammi
12-13-2007, 12:00 AM
What happened to Stieler how come hes not in the lineup tonight in Everett

Injury late in the Spoke game when he blocked a shot. He's day-to-day

HomerSimpson
12-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Nobody said I took offence...I was simply pointing out the fact that if Felde had focused more on the game at hand, one that you guys were still very well in, instead of trying to knock out guys who aren't causing him any trouble, your team may be better off. We play as a team, we win as a team...hence our captain sticking up for our 4th leading scorer.

3-1 isn't that big a score differential for one of your leading scorers to go out and send a message to the other team. Selfish, in fact, on his part. That's why I was curious as to what was wrong with him, and why I said that playing as a team has us in first and you guys in third.

Flathead
12-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Nobody said I took offence...I was simply pointing out the fact that if Felde had focused more on the game at hand, one that you guys were still very well in, instead of trying to knock out guys who aren't causing him any trouble, your team may be better off. We play as a team, we win as a team...hence our captain sticking up for our 4th leading scorer.

3-1 isn't that big a score differential for one of your leading scorers to go out and send a message to the other team. Selfish, in fact, on his part. That's why I was curious as to what was wrong with him, and why I said that playing as a team has us in first and you guys in third.
Felde was hardly running around like a goon trying to knock out guys, he caught a guy with his head down and hit him. Welcome to Canadian hockey, head up Euro!!