PDA

View Full Version : Giants lose to Thunderbirds 1-0

Kassian
01-16-2005, 11:14 PM
The Vancouver Giants can't fly with the Thunderbirds in 2004/05, losing for the fifth consecutive time to the US Division powerhouse, this time 1-0 on Sunday at the Pacific Coliseum. The matinee affair was the closest contest between the I-5 rivals this season, but the Giants have scored just three times against the Birds and none at home. The only game left between the clubs is not until March 2nd , down in Seattle .

Vancouver out-shot the T-Birds, firing 13 second period pucks at stonewall Bryan Bridges (24 saves), who posted his Western Hockey League-leading ninth shutout. Adam Jennings (left) turned aside all but one of 15 shots sent his way after seeing just two shots in the first period.

Seattle 's lone goal came when some miscommunication deep in Giants' territory led to an errant clearing attempt. The puck wound up on Vancouver Canucks' draft pick Matthew Hansen's stick and the big blueliner found Ryan Gibbons, who scored.

“We had a good effort tonight,” Head Coach Don Hay said. “We made a mistake on the winning goal and it cost us, but I was really happy with the effort – three games in two-and-a-half days – I thought our guys competed very hard.”

That's the rub with a good team. Make one mistake and it can mean the difference between winning and losing. Seattle leads the US Division with 31 wins and 63 points, and the entire WHL with a .726 winning percentage.

“They're one of the top teams in (the Canadian Hockey League) right now for a reason,” Hay explained. “They're a very good road team and they take advantage of other teams mistakes.”

Puck possession was important on Sunday and one reason the Giants out-shot Seattle , despite the loss. Third-year centre Ryan Costanzo definitely picks up some slack in the faceoff circles playing behind Adam Courchaine and Gilbert Brule.

“It's a key thing to do, win draws,” the Montrose, BC native said. “To get chances right after draws, it ties up guys and we need to get shots on net, so winning draws really helps get that done.”

Hay deploys either Courchaine or Brule to take draws late in games depending on who seems sharper on a given night. Lately, Costanzo has thrown his stick into the mix as a bona fide third option.

“It is good to have three guys (who can take faceoffs),” Hay said. “Ryan can help kill penalties, he can help take some minutes away from Brule and Courchaine and he's just a real solid player that you can throw out in key situations.”

Already entrenched as the third line anchor after just six games as a Giant, Costanzo is content in his checking role for Vancouver . His first two seasons with the Tri-City Americans helped the 6'1”, 190-pounder carve his niche in the WHL

“When I firt came into Tri in my first year they told me I was going to be a defensive centreman and I started to adapt to it,” he said. “In my second year I started real well, better than my first year and at this point I really know my job.”

The Giants have until next Friday to practice before a three-game road trip to Tri-City (January 21 st ), Portland (January 23 rd ) and Kamloops (January 26 th ), but the Coliseum will be far from empty. On Monday the top 40 ranked CHL players will convene for practice leading into the festivities surrounding the Home Hardware Top Prospects Game on Wednesday at 7PM. The annual skills competition is set for Tuesday, also at 7PM.

Kassian
01-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Hay made it sound better than it was. This game was a bore. Really bad. The crowd was dead pretty much the entire game. People were asking for a refund afterwards, LOL.

Grant got beat up pretty good in this game. He looked like he hurt his leg or ankle early on. Not long after that he got kneed by a Seattle player and he limped to the bench. He only had a few shifts after that, and wasn't back out on the ice the rest of the game. Not to mention his hand is still all stitched up after his scrap with Trojovsky. Hopefully he will recover soon. The Giants could've used his energy today by throwing some hits and mixing it up.

Binny
01-17-2005, 01:35 AM
^hehe after I read the article I was like, "hmm seemed like a good game" but after u said it was bad then...hmm. Hahah well I dunno. I persoanlly just always get more excited if there were fights or a lot of penalties. But yay go tbirds. Who kneed Grant do u know? Cuz when u said it, I was like "its probably fitzgerald or McEwan" but I dunno. But hey I thought it was a good game for the Giants cuz I was expecting a lot more goals. Did the people get refunds though?

Kassian
01-17-2005, 01:50 AM
No, the game was boring. Trust me. It was real slow. Tons of whistles, not many hits, no fights, etc. There weren't a lot of penalties (at least for the Giants). They had many opportunities but weren't able to put the puck in the net. Bridges saved the day for Seattle. Without him, Vancouver would've won.

I don't think it was either FitzGerald or McEwan that hit Grant. It happened fairly early into the 1st period. It wasn't one of the T-Birds tougher players. And no, nobody got refunds. I wish...LOL. :rolleyes:

Beaner
01-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I thought the game was allright for a 3 in 3 nights. Not great but allright. At least they competed yesterday.

Forgot who caught Grant but it wasn't Fitz or McEwan. He did get hit by a couple big hits early. Definatley wasnt himself. The injury according to the radio is the infamous, "upper leg injury". :rolleyes:

Kassian
01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
True. Considering it was the third game in three nights, I guess you can't really expect much. But still, I wasn't as entertained as I usually am.

Hopefully Grant is okay. They really need a healthy Grant in the line up...