PDA

View Full Version : Murray on Boychuk...

Nielson11
12-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Chatting with Hockey Canada Head Scout Al Murray about Zach Boychuk and I'm not so sure Zach is gonna make the club.

Mind you if he tears up camp he will have just as good as shot as any.

But the tone of the conversation with Al, who is a great guy by the way, lead me to believe that Zach may be in tough to make the squad.

Here's hoping he does cuz he always seems to contribute!!!!

sbtatter
12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey Guys,

Chatting with Hockey Canada Head Scout Al Murray about Zach Boychuk and I'm not so sure Zach is gonna make the club.

Mind you if he tears up camp he will have just as good as shot as any.

But the tone of the conversation with Al, who is a great guy by the way, lead me to believe that Zach may be in tough to make the squad.

Here's hoping he does cuz he always seems to contribute!!!!
You'd think White would be a better choice for an all around centre, he can hit, score, block shots win face offs where Boychuk is more offensive minded, and we likely don't need another offensive centre

Bocephus
12-10-2007, 05:47 PM
You'd think White would be a better choice for an all around centre, he can hit, score, block shots win face offs where Boychuk is more offensive minded, and we likely don't need another offensive centre
You obviously don't watch Boychuk enough if you think he is one dimensional.

sbtatter
12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
You obviously don't watch Boychuk enough if you think he is one dimensional.He can't bring to the table what White can is what I'm saying. White can pound guys checking wise, he's a great face off guy, he blocks shots and scores on top of that. Boychuk just can't play that tough checking role. No sleight (sp?) on Boychuck, he's just a different sort of player than White.

Bocephus
12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
He can't bring to the table what White can is what I'm saying. White can pound guys checking wise, he's a great face off guy, he blocks shots and scores on top of that. Boychuk just can't play that tough checking role. No sleight (sp?) on Boychuck, he's just a different sort of player than White.

I know exactly what you are saying.
The thing is that Boychuk can do everything you say he can't.
He can do everything White can and he is better offensively.
I repeat that you don't know enough about Boychuck and are speaking about something that you know nothing about.

Nielson11
12-10-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't think Boychuk can do everything White can do.

But at the same time I think are somethings that Boychuk CAN do that White can't....they are two tough players to compare.

And doesn't Boychuk usually play wing in these international things?

sbtatter
12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I know exactly what you are saying.
The thing is that Boychuk can do everything you say he can't.
He can do everything White can and he is better offensively.
I repeat that you don't know enough about Boychuck and are speaking about something that you know nothing about.
Well, lets compare their performances in the WHL vs Russians the other week. White did everything I said as well as score and was POTG in game #2. I know you're going to defend "your" player b/c you're obviously biased to a guy you watch every game, most of us are. But right now, White's a better player than Boychuk. Just like he's better than our 2 centres, Clark and Schenn.
And if team Canada is looking for an all around player to play on the 4th line, someone who can score, assist, hit, block shots, win faceoffs, White is a better choice than Boychuk.
And out of interest, why would you say "I repeat that you don't know enough about Boychuck and are speaking about something that you know nothing about"??? Why would you assume you know more than another poster on this board?? Pretty egotistic.

localguy
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Boychuk plays the wing for the canes and internationally. White was good in the series, but had a ton of ice in a checking role. Boychuck played six games of summit series, was third in team scoring, and had limitted ice (in a checking 3rd or 4th line) time. To campare the two is not even close totally different player. Boychuck blocks shots regularly, back checks hard, skates like the wind, and has or creates a scoring chance nearly every shift. Having played the role he did this summer with team Canada, he really improved his play in the defensive end, learned how to throw big hits, and became a more complete player. Will he make the team? Depends on what kind of team they are taking. Lots of talent up front, it's on the international surface, so speed will be a factor. I think his international experiance alone gives him a better shot than White. Not atking anything away from White, he's a great player, and this is his last shot to make it so he'll be working hard. Good luck to both, I'd love to see Zach make it, White too, they'd compliment eachother well. Maybe they both will maybe niether will, we'll see. But for the record, i think Boychuk is a better palyer than White, after all I am a Canes fan. applause

localguy
12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, lets compare their performances in the WHL vs Russians the other week. White did everything I said as well as score and was POTG in game #2. I know you're going to defend "your" player b/c you're obviously biased to a guy you watch every game, most of us are. But right now, White's a better player than Boychuk. Just like he's better than our 2 centres, Clark and Schenn.
And if team Canada is looking for an all around player to play on the 4th line, someone who can score, assist, hit, block shots, win faceoffs, White is a better choice than Boychuk.
And out of interest, why would you say "I repeat that you don't know enough about Boychuck and are speaking about something that you know nothing about"??? Why would you assume you know more than another poster on this board?? Pretty egotistic.

Hard to campare performances in the ADT, white played both games, Boychuk only played in the first when the whole team stunk and got routed.

moon
12-11-2007, 01:29 AM
He can't bring to the table what White can is what I'm saying. White can pound guys checking wise, he's a great face off guy, he blocks shots and scores on top of that. Boychuk just can't play that tough checking role. No sleight (sp?) on Boychuck, he's just a different sort of player than White.

I would be very concerned about White skating ability on the big ice and against the European teams.

I would say that Boychuk brings a lot more offensively to the team and would be a better fit on the bigger ice and in the international game.

sbtatter
12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
I would be very concerned about White skating ability on the big ice and against the European teams.

I would say that Boychuk brings a lot more offensively to the team and would be a better fit on the bigger ice and in the international game.
Hey at least that's a measured response for a debate, instead of just saying "you don't know what you're talking about", thanks for that!!
Maybe they'll both make the team? Boychuk for pure offence and White for the grittiness/shutdown role...

HURRICANE'S ROCK
12-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Boychuk plays left wing 95% of the time and is a left handed shot. Good offensive and all round left wingers are not that common. Being a true left winger will give Boychuk a heads up on a lot of guys.

sbtatter
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Boychuk plays left wing 95% of the time and is a left handed shot. Good offensive and all round left wingers are not that common. Being a true left winger will give Boychuk a heads up on a lot of guys.
Your man scored a goal in the intrasquad game tonight!

Bocephus
12-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey at least that's a measured response for a debate, instead of just saying "you don't know what you're talking about", thanks for that!!
Maybe they'll both make the team? Boychuk for pure offence and White for the grittiness/shutdown role...

debate?haha
You say Boychuk doesn't block shots - Not True
You say Boychuk doesn't hit- Not True
You say Boychuk doesn't win faceoffs - Not True

What is the point of debating if you bring those "truths" to the table.

Anyone who watches him can tell you that what you believe to be true about Boychuk is in fact quite the opposite.

The reason he has 34 points in 34 games instead of the pace he set last year with 91 in 69 is because he is chosing to do all the things you say he doesn't do. He is a far more complete player than you chose to believe.

That is why I say you don't know what you are talking about.

It would be like me saying that White has no offensive abilities because he is a wider body and a little less flashy than most offensive players.

It really is a stereotypical conclusion on your part to look at Boychuk's offensive numbers and assume that he is a one dimensional player.

There is a reason that Boychuk is a "program of excellence" guy. He is a complete player and one of the best at his age.

BTW. I am not a White hater. I love his game and believe he brings a ton to the rink.

Also BTW, If I took your logic of judging them based on one game (the ADT game) in which White was POG then I would be saying that Boychuk crushed White tonight as he scored and White didn't. Just silly logic really.

Is that better "debate" for you. Sorry I hadn't lived up to you standards of debate earlier. I will now be watching for White to fail and look for any chance to come at you. If that is what you would like?

Bocephus
12-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Why would you assume you know more than another poster on this board?? Pretty egotistic.

Well, I assume you are from Brandon. So, you see Boychuk about 2 times a year? I see him about 40 times a year with the odd road game in there.

Why wouldn't I know more about him than you? What would that have to do with egotism? I wasn't taking offense to a local poster. I was taking offense to you.

You don't see me coming on the Brandon board and saying I think our 16 year old Braes is better than your 16 year old Schenn even though I haven't seen much of Schenn to form an opinion.

sbtatter
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, I assume you are from Brandon. So, you see Boychuk about 2 times a year? I see him about 40 times a year with the odd road game in there.

Why wouldn't I know more about him than you? What would that have to do with egotism? I wasn't taking offense to a local poster. I was taking offense to you.

You don't see me coming on the Brandon board and saying I think our 16 year old Braes is better than your 16 year old Schenn even though I haven't seen much of Schenn to form an opinion.
I've seen Boychuk on the internet feed a bunch as well. I didn't come on your board and start this topic, I joined it! If they want a pure scorer/speedster, Boychuk beats White out. If they want a checking guy who can play centre/wing in a checking/hitting role and score, White beats out Boychuk. Sorry man, that's reality. Boychuk just doesn't hit like White, doesn't win faceoffs like White, he just doesn't have the body for a physical type game. That's not saying he's bad, he's good, just in a different way, that's what you missed from my post.
And if you'd like to debate Schenn vs Braes, well, it's your funeral!!!!!
Nice goal by Boychuk tonight by the way.

Bocephus
12-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Sorry man, that's reality.

Nevermind, You're an idiot!

sbtatter
12-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Nevermind, You're an idiot!
Nice, name calling!!
Seriously, in a shutdown, grinding, hitting role White wins, you must be able to see that? A role similar to Gillies. Boychuk might make the team in a speedster, offensive role, which would be great. But if they end up head to head for the checking role, the smart money goes on the bigger, tougher White.

hitmanfan
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't watch him much but I always thought of Boychuk as an Ennis type player. Perhaps more suited to the scoring lines than checking lines @ 5' 9" 176lbs.

localguy
12-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Nice, name calling!!
Seriously, in a shutdown, grinding, hitting role White wins, you must be able to see that? A role similar to Gillies. Boychuk might make the team in a speedster, offensive role, which would be great. But if they end up head to head for the checking role, the smart money goes on the bigger, tougher White.

I guess it won;t matter since White has been cut, and Boyuchuk is in.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
12-13-2007, 02:40 PM
People always underestimate Boychuk. He makes every team Canada at every age he has tried out for. I agree with Bocephus. He checks and hits and blocks shots a lot more than anyone realizes. Murray, the scout, even understimated him, saying he probably won't make it. Ryan White has been highly touted since he was 15 but has not made any teams I don't think. He is a Canadiens draft pick and as such I hope he is as good as some feel. Can any Hitmen fan give me a realistic assesment of White. What is his skating and attitude like???????????

hitmanfan
12-13-2007, 06:18 PM
He is a strong skater with good puck control. Not the fastest skater but not a turtle either. Attitude sums up White. He never quits will drop the mitts with most anyone. Almost plays with to much of an edge sometimes but that is his game.

sbtatter
12-13-2007, 08:24 PM
People always underestimate Boychuk. He makes every team Canada at every age he has tried out for. I agree with Bocephus. He checks and hits and blocks shots a lot more than anyone realizes. Murray, the scout, even understimated him, saying he probably won't make it. Ryan White has been highly touted since he was 15 but has not made any teams I don't think. He is a Canadiens draft pick and as such I hope he is as good as some feel. Can any Hitmen fan give me a realistic assesment of White. What is his skating and attitude like???????????
His attitude is great, skating his worst attribute, not terrible, but not great. Grit and heart with surprisingly good scoring hands.
Boychuk proved his sniping/scoring potential in the intrasquad games, good for him.