PDA

View Full Version : Rypien's farewell letter

Number_4
03-21-2005, 12:51 PM
I found this on the Regina Pats home page... what a classy player. We certainly will miss him

FAREWELL LETTER BY PATS CAPTAIN

Rypien leaves no doubt about his feelings

March 21, 2005

Since the beginning, it has been a privilege for me to be a part of both Regina and the Regina Pats Hockey Club. As such, I would like to thank those people who have been a part of my life while playing for the Pats.

I would first like to thank (scouts) Todd Ripplinger and Frank Dryka for believing in me and helping me become a Regina Pat. I would also like to thank (owner) Russ and (general manager) Brent Parker for giving me the honour of being a Regina Pat for three years.

I would like to thank my coaches and all the players I have worked with in the past three years. I have found great friendships that I will take with me as I leave Regina. I have nothing but respect for everyone I have worked or played with, and what they have taught me both on and off the ice.

Although our season was a disappointing one, there is a great group in this organization, and along with two of the best coaches, Curtis Hunt and Mike Blaisdell, I know this team is headed in the right direction and will strive for success in the future.

I would like to place a special thanks to my billets for the past three years, the Engelhardts. Without you, playing hockey in a new city would have been a tough road.

Finally, I want to thank the dedicated group of people who make it all possible — the fans. Thank you for your support and for standing behind the Regina Pats through the good and not-so-good times. I will never forget the feeling that you have given me as a player — it’s unbelievable.

I will always be a Regina Pat and if it were possible I’d play here forever. No matter where I end up in the future, Regina will always be a second home to me and I plan to return as often as I can. So, once again, a big thank you to the Pats organization, the players, billets, fans and the City of Regina.

As a last note, I would like to say that even though this past year has been a struggle and we did not make the playoffs, this year was one of the most memorable. I was very grateful to complete my WHL career as a Regina Pat. The players and coaches, Huntsy and Blazer, have taught me so much and have treated me with nothing but respect. I will always walk with my head held high and be proud that I am a Regina Pat. I contributed the best that I could and hopefully gave the organization something they can hold on to and be proud of. Best of luck in the future to all of the players (my friends). You’ll all be sadly missed.

Your friend,
Rick Rypien

Regina Pats Home Page

charlie
03-21-2005, 02:34 PM
i have nothing but admiration for a player that ends his junior career that way. if he carries this attitude with him through life he will be a success no matter what he does...probably will have lots of friends around him too. i wish i could say i know him because he is the type of person i would like to know.

charlie

Fight Guy
03-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Definetly going to miss him here in Regina. Was a great player. I really liked how he confronted the fans at the end of the game on Saturday night as well thanking everyone. Hope he does great with the Moose! :thumb:

Triton
03-21-2005, 07:42 PM
What a classy person.Not a whole lot of players would have written a letter.Most would have been resentful in the fact that they had such a poor season..but not Rick Rypien.

Bran
03-21-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm really disappointed that I had to miss the game on Saturday night and this is why...I would love to have been able to see him go out that way. He deserved that win on home ice...he deserved everything that he got that night, and I think the fans deserved to see him end his career that way. It's too bad that they couldn't win on Sunday but honestly, given the choice of winning one of the two nights, I think Saturday just had a lot more meaning.

With an attitude like that he's going to go a long way no matter what he chooses to do. Not only did we get to see a wonderful hockey player in Rick Rypien, we were privileged to have someone so commited to the team and to the community. The fans rallied around him and respected him because he worked hard, didn't make excuses and had respect for those around him. As much as I've always loved this guy, I have that much more respect for him after this season and everything he went through, to keep going like he did. And he continues to give credit to those around him. It's really too bad there weren't more players like him. Really, it's too bad there aren't more people like that in the world. He's a great guy and a great hockey player. Everyone will miss him here in Regina.

Fight Guy
03-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Just signed ATO contract today. Cant wait to see what he can do with the Moose! :thumb:

http://www.moosehockey.com/news/press_releases2.php?press_id=534

Moose sign Rypien to ATO
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Today, the Manitoba Moose, the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks, announced they have signed centre Rick Rypien (RIHP-ehn) of the Western Hockey League’s Regina Pats to an amateur tryout contract.

Rypien, 20, played in 63 games this season as captain of the Pats. In that time, he scored 22 goals and 29 assists for 51 points to go along with 148 minutes in penalties. The Coleman, AB native appeared in 179 games over his four-year career in Regina, scoring 47 career goals and 67 career assists for 114 career points. He also collected 493 career penalty minutes in the WHL

Tinner
03-24-2005, 11:22 AM
to me it shows winning isn't everything and that maturing and learning is what meant most to him.

Sure wish owners, coaches, parents and fans could look at it from that same perspective.

E_Girlie
03-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Wow, that shows a lot of class and dignity on Rick's part. I never got to meet the guy, but I sure would have liked to after reading that nice letter. I hope some present and future hockey players read that too and take example from it so there can be a lot more like him out there. I tip my hat to you Rick and hope you have a long and prosperous hockey career. :clap:

grumphy
03-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Nothing but CLASS

Fight Guy
04-03-2005, 02:16 PM
F'n eh!...Rypien gets his first pro goal in his 3rd game. :groovy:

Number_4
04-03-2005, 03:50 PM
here's the link:

http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3141721

Way to go Rick! :clap: