PDA

View Full Version : Blades add Berg, demote McPherson

WHL Crazy
12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Saskatoon has added 16yr old Mitch Berg from the Saskatoon Contacts smaaahl. This season Berg has done well for himself picking up 4 goals and 12 assists and 87 pims in 24 games. Mitch was Saskatoon's first round draft choice in the 2006 WHL Bantam draft.

Looks like Saskatoon is making a good decision here by calling up Berg. He has clearly been a dominant player in the Midget ranks this year and is an upgrade to the 18 yr old McPherson. Berg will likely be a key part of the MEM CUP team the Blades are hoping to have for the 09-10 season will they hope to host. Berg is a big kid and if his skating has improved and by all reports it has, he could be a nice asset on the young blades blueline. The Blueline now conists of top picks.....

Jyri Niemi(17)-Great shot, Power play guy, big, mobile. (1st rd import)
Teigan Zahn(17)-Good skater, rough, defensive defenceman (1st rd bantam 05)
Stefan Elliott(16), Great skater, power play QB,(1st rd bantam 06)
Mitch Berg(16), Nasty, edgy, big (1st rd bantam 06)

Sam Klassen(18) Good all around game, solid
Ryan Funk-18
John Flatters-20
Brandon Wall-17

The top five guys are cornerstones for that MEM CUP in 09-10.

hobster
12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Yes great defence for that season. But if you look at 09/10 season scoring will be the problem again with 6 guys returning from this years team.

WHL Crazy
12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Projected Forwards:
LW Curtis Hamilton-18
LW Derek Hulak-20
RW Walker Wintoneak-20
RW Kevin Philp-19
C Gaelan Patterson-19
C Travis Toomey-19

Stepping in:
LW Darian Dziurzynski-18
C Charles Inglis-17
C Josh Nicholls-17
LW Jamie Crooks-17
RW Cody Wutzke-19
LW Braedan Johnson-17

Possibilities:
It is very possible that Saskatoon with be selecting an 18 yr old Import Forward next year in the Import Draft. My guess is that the Blades will sell this player(likely NHL drafted this year) that they will be hosting the MEM Cup in 09-10 thus landing a highly skilled player for the top line in that players 2nd season.
I also think with this years Bantam draft being so good that they will likely trade one of the players to a rebuilding team for a dominant 19 yr old forward as well.

Trav
12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
that year, same age as Inglis and Nichols.

As for the euro draft, they'll pick a forward and it would be nice if its a top notch 17 yr old Id rather go for a top notch 17 then a good 18 yr old thats been drafted cuz then you have them for three years, instead of two.

WHL Crazy
12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm thinking the player will be 18 and drafted because they are making a run for the MEM CUP trav. SO that player would be 19 in the MEM CUP year.

Triton
12-13-2007, 04:11 PM
What makes it a sure bet that Saskatoon is getting the Memorial Cup?

Trav
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't think the Blades deserve to host the cup. Not unless they come out of nowhere in the second half of the season, make the playoffs and beat out some teams.

A team that hosts the cup should be a team that has been competitve for the last couple years. Blades haven't been a strong competitive team for a long time.

hobster
12-13-2007, 05:24 PM
What about the 04/05 season when we won 40 games beat out the pats in the first round got swept against the tigers but 3 of the games were 1 goal games and 2 of them in overtime.

Trav
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
but there's teams that I think are more deserving to host the Cup then Saskatoon. I think teams like the Ice and the Hitmen would be the favorites to host the cup since they've been competitive for a long time...

I hope Berg's skating has improved a lot. If it's where it was during the pre-season, he's going to get beat quite a bit by speedy forwards.

hobster
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
but there's teams that I think are more deserving to host the Cup then Saskatoon. I think teams like the Ice and the Hitmen would be the favorites to host the cup since they've been competitive for a long time...

I hope Berg's skating has improved a lot. If it's where it was during the pre-season, he's going to get beat quite a bit by speedy forwards.
They would have not brought him up if his skating didn't improve. And he is skating better i have caught a couple contacs games and it suprised me too see his offensive side not afraid too put the puck on net .

hobster
12-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Im thinking Mitch Berg might play tonight too give us 7 defence and 11 fowards. So 1 of those d-men might have too play foward too give us a 4 lines .As well i would expect Durand and McCrae too be both back after christmas break so that will be a big help.

Dwight Schrute
12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
What about the 04/05 season when we won 40 games beat out the pats in the first round got swept against the tigers but 3 of the games were 1 goal games and 2 of them in overtime.
actually in 04/05, the raiders steamrolled the blades in a 4 game sweep in the playoffs.

hobster
12-14-2007, 04:01 PM
actually in 04/05, the raiders steamrolled the blades in a 4 game sweep in the playoffs.Thanx for he word steamrolled i bet you gritted your teeth when you typed that with a big grin. Anyways your right it was 05/06 that we were good.

hobster
12-14-2007, 04:20 PM
actually in 04/05, the raiders steamrolled the blades in a 4 game sweep in the playoffs.
Just another thing that was in the past why not try too live in the now lol

Tidball
12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Just another thing that was in the past why not try too live in the now lol

Interesting topic. BTW Hobster he mentioned that to fix your mistake. Hell i woulda done the same had the situation been reversed.

But while were on the topic of that sweep. The Blades were way more talented then the Raiders that year. But the Raiders had 1 really tough team. They physically won that series. Lorne remembers that season which is why he went a little overboard in picking the team we have now. We have a tough team, but we need more talent. Interesting topic though.

howley
12-18-2007, 01:11 PM
not to mention a pretty decent tender as well...