PDA

View Full Version : Should Habcheid be WC coach?

Jovorock
03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
http://whl.ca/headlines/?id=2863

Should Habby be the head coach now that Gretzky and Quinn backed out. Should they of offered it to a NHL coach?

Scout
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Habby is a very good coach. He can motivate and get the most out of an average player. He proved that in Kelowna when he won the cup and his top scorer had 49 points. Having a 10-5-1 record at the world level is awesome. He has not used any N.H.L. players because of the strike. Many players want to play for team Canada that are in the pro's but if the strike ends they walk out on Team Canada and report to their respective clubs. Now Hab's has assembled a team of 55 different players he has used to wear Canada's colors and non are in the N.H.L. To have a winning record when Euro teams are using pro's, including N.H.L. signed players playing in Europe speaks volumes of his coaching ability. Wayne i believe backed out because a family member is ill otherwise he would have been on board.

Scout

kelownakarl
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
I would like to see Pat Quinn coach.

Scout
03-21-2005, 08:41 PM
He was in the talks on who the head coach should be. If the N.H.L. was guaranteed to still be locked out and the N.H.L.P.A. allowed N.H.L. players still under contract to play for Canada, Quinn would have been coach and Marc would have been the assistant coach. Because the N.H.L. is still in turmoil there is no guarantee the N.H.L.P.A will allow their players to play. One thing that could be on Team Canada's side, is any N.H.L. players who's contract was not renewed or has expired is no longer governed by the N.H.L.P.A and can wear Canada's colors. There is a good chance this team of players may also play for Canada in the Olympics. Can you imagine a dream team of Canada's best pro's practicing for the Olympics and playing the World Cup then having the N.H.L. and the N.H.L.P.A. reaching an agreement and all the players under contract go back to their teams, what would Canada be left with? A bunch of guys who are to small for the N.H.L. or are past their prime playing in Europe and have not practiced together. It's a tough call for Team Canada.

Scout

Jovorock
03-22-2005, 02:27 PM
When Habby signed a contract to coach Team Canada it was his job to coach at the world championships. Even if Gretzky was on board I think it's Habby's job. Are they taking a chance on a rookie laced with NHL'ers YES. I think Habby will pull it off. I would like to see him have at least one or two NHL coaches as assistants. Whoever assists may be with the Olympic team in Italy if Quinn, Martin or Hitchcock don't go to Italy. Or maybe it Habby's job to assist either way?

Jovorock
03-24-2005, 01:08 PM
TSN.ca Staff

3/24/2005

Tom Renney and Craig MacTavish have been named assistant coaches of Canada's world championship team.

Renney, head coach of the New York Rangers, and MacTavish, head coach of the Edmonton Oilers, will work with head coach Marc Habscheid.

"We are very pleased to name Tom and Craig to our coaching staff," said Tambellini. "We feel that we have a great coaching staff that will work well together to prepare and lead our team in Austria."

Named the eighth coach in team history in 2000, MacTavish has guided the Oilers to a record of 149-132-47 in four seasons behind the Edmonton bench. In each of his seasons as head coach, MacTavish has guided the Oilers to a .500 or better record, winning at least 36 games in each campaign.

Renney was appointed as the Rangers' head coach on February 25, 2004 after beginning the season as an assistant coach. While serving as Head Coach for the final 20 games of the season, Renney led the Rangers to a record of 5-11-0-4.

Renney also served as an assistant coach for the gold medal-winning Team Canada squad at the 2004 IIHF World Hockey Championship in the Czech Republic.

More to follow.

Tinner
03-26-2005, 04:03 PM
first, your poll doesn't give enough options. Who's to say anyone listed or another nhl coach is right. i dont think habshied should be the coach, but it could be another coach who is not one of those listed that is more in tune with todays players.

Scout
03-26-2005, 04:27 PM
What poll doesn't give enough options?

Scout