View Full Version : Ross looking to improve

nivek_wahs
12-15-2007, 07:54 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/NEWS/79/

Ross looking to improve

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, December 14, 2007

Nick Ross is feeling the heat.

The 18-year-old defenceman was handed a symbolic torch on Thursday when Regina Pats captain Logan Pyett was selected to represent Canada at the world junior championship. With Pyett gone for up to nine WHL games, his responsibilities on the blueline have been passed to Ross, who needs to show he can pick up the torch and run with it.

"If Nick has aspirations of playing at the next level and a shorter-term goal of playing on that same (Canadian) team next year, he needs to play better," said Pats GM Brent Parker. "We need him to take his game to another level. He's certainly capable of it. We've seen it. Nick has to step up and be the leader of that group right now. He's an elite player in this league and I have no doubt he'll get back on track."

Although filling Pyett's skates will require a collective effort, Ross has already expressed a strong desire to set the pace. He believes he took a step in that direction with a solid individual showing in Wednesday's 3-2 overtime loss to the Saskatoon Blades.

"Before that I've kind of been going through the motions and stuff," admitted Ross, whose team concludes the first-half schedule this weekend with two games against the Moose Jaw Warriors. "After Christmas I usually tend to play my best hockey for some reason. Hopefully I can go in (to the holiday break) strong and then keep going for the rest of the year."

There's no shortage of motivation for Ross, a first-round draft pick of the Phoenix Coyotes (30th overall). Despite his impressive credentials, Ross was passed over when Hockey Canada sent out 38 invitations to its national junior selection camp.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed but there's not much I can do about it now," said Ross, who's among the WHL's top 10 defencemen with 25 points in 35 games. "Hopefully I play well after Christmas and show them maybe they should have taken me."

Although Ross's numbers have improved this season, critics point to a decline in his physical play.

Is it perception or reality?

"We haven't seen the big hits as much as anything because, No. 1, he has learned to not just go around looking for it," explained Parker. "No. 2, other teams and other players are a little more aware of it now. Word travels."

It started early last season when Ross caught John Negrin of the Kootenay Ice with his head down, delivering a text-book check that earned a lasting place on the Pats' highlight reel. Five months later, Ross played arguably his finest game as a WHLer in the deciding contest of a playoff series against the Swift Current Broncos. Ross's aggressiveness had the Broncos hearing footsteps every time they entered No. 29's territory.

"I know what my game is," noted Ross. "The (big) hit isn't always there, so I can't go around looking for it. I don't even think that's the strongest part of my game. I think moving the puck and just making good plays is kind of what I should focus on."

Ross has endured a horrific schedule over the past month, playing 18 games in 33 days across four time zones, four provinces and three states. That includes dressing twice in the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge, plus an additional trip to Vancouver for a WHL-sponsored drug awareness initiative.

"I'm giving him a bit of the benefit (of the doubt) because I know we've had a rough schedule -- and him in particular," said Parker. "There's no question that has played a part in it, but he has to get through it."

Ross's other challenge is his laid-back nature, a trait which has made him a cool customer under pressure. Parker feels that he simply needs to add a little more urgency to his game.

"His poise can be his greatest attribute and his greatest detriment," said the GM. "You have to find a happy medium."

The same goes for the Pats, a first-place club that's making a habit of sinking to the level of inferior opponents. The team's recent inconsistency has raised questions about job security throughout the lineup as the Jan. 10 trade deadline looms.

"I don't think we have anybody that I would say is untouchable," said Parker. "We're always looking to better our team, but certainly it's not a case where we're out shopping Nick Ross, that's for sure. I think that has a little bit to do with the funk we're in right now. These players are kids and they hear the rumours, the cat calls, the chat lines, all the stuff out there. I think our guys are waiting for the shoe to drop a little bit."

When you're a top NHL prospect, the pressure tends to multiply.

"I don't really worry about what other people say, I just listen to the coaches and do what they tell me to do," added Ross. "I guess you're definitely under a microscope, but I'm only human. Hopefully after Christmas I play better so people start thinking I'm a first-rounder."

nivek_wahs
12-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I have to say that Ross looked a lot more like a 1st rounder on Friday than most other games of the year so far. I don't know if it was the increased role or what it was but he looked pretty good on the ice for most of the game. And his bone crusher hit on Giffen Nyren was outstanding! Props to Nyren getting up.