PDA

View Full Version : Report Cards

Scout
03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Time to do report cards on the 2004/05 Bronco's, starting with the goalies. Opinions welcome.

Kyle Moir 6'3" 185 lbs. ( A )
Many thought Kyle was not ready to be the # 1 goalie and thought trading Grenier was a mistake. Kyle did what some thought he never could do which was stand on his head. Plays the rebounds very well and covers the net with his size. Had a 2.90 G.A.A. on a team that had no offence. Could have been alot worse record for the Bronco's but Kyle made some very key saves early in the games to keep the Bronco's in. Only draw back to grading higher was he had a tendancy to let in a weak goal. Should be near the top in goalie ranking next year.

Trevor Peeters 6'1" 165 lbs. ( B )
The son of N.H.L. hall of famer Pete Peters came over in a trade with Red Deer. Never really got a chance to play much with Kyle being so dominent. Has a good glove hand but was weak in controlling his rebounds and went down early. Could improve under his dads guidance. Had a G.A.A. of 3.02.

Up and coming:

Travis Yonkman 6'1" 175lbs. (?)
Travis is going to be groomed to replace Kyle. Travis suited for the Saskatoon Contact of the S.M.H.L. Had a G.A.A.of just over 2 and in 6 play-off games has a G.A.A. of 1.91. Played in The Mac's Midget Tourney and had an outstanding tournament winning the prestigious tournament and walking away with the most valuable player in the championship after getting a shut-out in a 1-0 win. Helped Saskatoon cruise to a 38-3-2-1 record. This kid is for real. The Bronco's drafted him 99th in the 2003 bantam draft. Has good positioning and controls his rebounds. Very fast glove hand. Has a very good shot of being the back up goalie behind Moir next year. Team mate of Kyle Bortis who many are picking to be a star in the W.H.L. in the future and also drafted by the Bronco's.

Scout

Tupac to the Top
03-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Time to do report cards on the 2004/05 Bronco's, starting with the goalies. Opinions welcome.

Kyle Moir 6'3" 185 lbs. ( A )
Many thought Kyle was not ready to be the # 1 goalie and thought trading Grenier was a mistake. Kyle did what some thought he never could do which was stand on his head. Plays the rebounds very well and covers the net with his size. Had a 2.90 G.A.A. on a team that had no offence. Could have been alot worse record for the Bronco's but Kyle made some very key saves early in the games to keep the Bronco's in. Only draw back to grading higher was he had a tendancy to let in a weak goal. Should be near the top in goalie ranking next year.

Trevor Peeters 6'1" 165 lbs. ( B )
The son of N.H.L. hall of famer Pete Peters came over in a trade with Red Deer. Never really got a chance to play much with Kyle being so dominent. Has a good glove hand but was weak in controlling his rebounds and went down early. Could improve under his dads guidance. Had a G.A.A. of 3.02.

Up and coming:

Travis Yonkman 6'1" 175lbs. (?)
Travis is going to be groomed to replace Kyle. Travis suited for the Saskatoon Contact of the S.M.H.L. Had a G.A.A.of just over 2 and in 6 play-off games has a G.A.A. of 1.91. Played in The Mac's Midget Tourney and had an outstanding tournament winning the prestigious tournament and walking away with the most valuable player in the championship after getting a shut-out in a 1-0 win. Helped Saskatoon cruise to a 38-3-2-1 record. This kid is for real. The Bronco's drafted him 99th in the 2003 bantam draft. Has good positioning and controls his rebounds. Very fast glove hand. Has a very good shot of being the back up goalie behind Moir next year. Team mate of Kyle Bortis who many are picking to be a star in the W.H.L. in the future and also drafted by the Bronco's.

Scout

A good assessment Scout. The only guy I can't speak on is Peeters. You've obviously seen him play much more than I have. Because I've seen so little of him I'd barely be able to tell you what color his pads are. How do you rate captain Luke?

Broncs in RD
03-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Horrible!!!!! I don't understand that trade????? He could only win 2 games in Red Deer and their Defence is way better than ours. In all the games I watched in Red deer this year and last year I only seen him win 1 game rebounds are horrible and confidence is low. I rate him a Junior A goalie.

Scout
03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Swift Currents strong point at the beginning of the year was supposed to be defence. But the defence looked average because of Moir. The only real size and aggressiveness we had was 6'5" 225lb. Trojovsky who was traded to Prince George when we looked to be out of the play-off race.

Jason Fransoo 6' 175lb. ( B- )
Played heads up hockey and was one of our better defenceman. Clears the puck around the boards and saw the ice well. Had good passing ability. Drawback was he is not big enough and was man handled in front of the net.

Michael Hengen 6' 180lbs. ( B- )
Michael was never really given regular play until Matt was traded. Sees the ice very well and found the open man. Made some rookie mistakes by panicing under pressure inside our zone. Still he tried his best not to give the puck away but again was over powered by bigger forwards. Again is not big enough to move the power forwards from other teams. Has good offensive skills but doean't use them.

R.J.Larochelle 6'1" 178lbs. ( B+ )
R.J. came over in the package deal from Lethbridge for Redenbach. A local boy who plays it rough. Had no problem making you pay for standing in front of the net. Never played much after suffering a concussion soon after the trade. He was one of a couple of D-Men who punishes opposing players. Had a problem taking out the speedsters who seemed to get past him on the outside.

Donny Lloyd 6' 190lbs. ( A- )
Donny was traded to Swift from Kootney Ice early in the season. Was playing a solid defensive game until he got ill. Plays a solid stay at home game. Has a good shot when he uses it and plays like a seasoned vet. Will drop the gloves when needed and did fairly well. Should mature next year and take more of a leading role.

When all your right D is 6' and under 200lbs. it makes it for a tough situation. Size is needed. Most of these guys seem to be offensive but had to play defensive. They all have good wheels but when you have a guy like Fehr from Brandon who stands 6'4" 200+lbs. how do you move him. Larochelle was the most aggressive out of the bunch and he wasen't even 200lbs. We had no itimidation in the back end.

Scout

Scout
03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
Although our right defence lacked size, our left defence is stronger.

Marc Dafoe ( B )
Marc played his first year this year for the Bronco's. Standing at 6'5" 205lbs. he will only grow. Looks to be a stay at home defencemen who for a guy his size skates well. Will be a good asset once his weight catches up to his height. Didn't play an aggresive style but i believe he will become more predominent as his feet get wet. Was shy to shoot the puck and seemed to play safe by shooting the puck along the boards even in the opposing end.

Myles Rumsey ( A )
Myles stands 6'2" and weighs in at 185lbs. Was the Bronco's best defencemen this year. Clears the net well and will punish you. Hits hard along the boards and is one of the toughest middle weights in the dub. Never looked for fights but when challenged he would drop them and usually drop his opponent. Very seldom stood back and went toe to toe and is more of a technical fighter who waited to unload the bomb. Starting to gain a reputation as tough. Has a good shot who used it often from the blue line. A seasoned vet who held the D together.

David Schulz ( C )
David was the most controversial Bronco. A vet of three seasons he seems to make alot of rookie errors. Standing 6'3" 205lbs. he played alot smaller. Has great wheels and a good shot if he could hit the net. For a guy his size he should be throwing his weight around but insists on playing a finesse style. Backed off along the boards if he heard skates behind him. Did not finish his checks along the boards, instead would try and poke the puck away. Seems to panic with the puck and more than often gave the puck away. He has to play an aggressive role and show leadership and determination against opposing players.

Help is on the way:
The Bronco's have some good young defence coming up. Karl Beinke stands 6'5" 220 lbs and is only 16. He is still growing and will be molded to replace Matt Trojovsky. Plays a rough game if need be and is tough. Will be a stay at home D-man who likes to hurt you if you stand in front of the goalie. Will drop them and did at Bronco camp, twice with Matt and held his own.

Paul Postma: Bronco's first round bantam pick is a very offensive defencemen. Played for Red Deer Chiefs and has a good chance to make the club this year. Has a great set of wheels and a good shot. Likes to rush with the puck and sees the ice very well. Look for him to become an elite D-man in the dub.

Derek Claffey: Derek was Postma's defensive partner in Red Deer. When Paul was rushing up ice with the puck Derek stayed back. Is a stay at home D-man who likes to play it rough. Needs to grow a bit and gain some weight.

With some of the new D coming in, look for some new faces in the Bronco line-up next year. D looks very strong for the future.

Scout

lever
03-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Foward Report Cards?

Scout
03-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Lets see i rated two goalies and our defence. That hardley says we would be in the cup. For a team as weak on scoring as we were our D played alright and Moir was solid. If we were in the East division we would be in the play-offs. I never will tear a player apart but will give an honest opinion and look at the bright side. So lets hear your rating of the Bronco D and goaltending?

Scout

By the way, my rating system is A+ to C- not A-Z.

Scout
03-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Why is your reply forward Report Cards? Did i miss something here or did you not finish. I am looking for input on these players also, so feel free to reply.

Scout

Toswammi
03-24-2005, 03:58 PM
How about Greg Alexander i know he ain't the tallest kid in the world, but he is a former first round selection (i think) and he will get a real look to make the team next year as an 17 yr old, especially with him moving up and down from Swift to Vancouver this year. Just another name for our young, and potentially strong backend.

Scout
03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Forgot about him and yes he has a shot. Dean has alot of decisions to make and will mould this team to his liking. I thin we may see alot of new faces next year either in trades or draft picks.

Scout

Toswammi
03-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Is that next years team will probably look alot different from the team that finished this past year. It will not suprise me to see something like 4-5 trades, and maybe a blockbuster or two that catches everybody off guard. Heck i expect something to the tune of 2 defenseman, and about 4-5 forwards to be dealt this summer. So for the second straight year, i figure you're gonna need a program just to figure out who (insert # here) is. At least the euro and bantam draft days will be fun to follow.

Scout
03-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Don't forget it was mentioned before that some Bantam picks could also be involved. Like i said before, thru trades we have 7 Bantam picks in the first four rounds of this years Bantam draft that is one of the richest in years. The Regina Pats have the first overall pick and have already said they may trade it but only if they receive another pick in the first round. Beach and Hunt are leading the pack of this talented pool with Regina leaning towards Manitoba native Dale Hunt. With Swift having the second pick overall do they go for Kelowna product Beach or do they trade him to a western team for a scorer or do they pick Beach and hope he reports or do they by pass him and pick a prairie boy?

Scout

Flathead
03-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Horrible!!!!! I don't understand that trade????? He could only win 2 games in Red Deer and their Defence is way better than ours. In all the games I watched in Red deer this year and last year I only seen him win 1 game rebounds are horrible and confidence is low. I rate him a Junior A goalie.

A junior A goalie, is Peeters's status. He needs some serious work, to stay at the WHL level. He looks nervous all the time, and has no control of his rebounds.

Scout
03-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Had a fairly strong crop of right wingers who are young and will show vast improvement next year:

Joshua Aspenlind: ( A- )
This 5'11" 180lb. winger was part of the blockbuster trade that sent Trojovsky,Stengler and Feakes to Prince George. A grinding type winger who led the team with 160 PIM. Finishes his checks and grinds his whole shift. Has a good shot and shoots from all angles. Doesn't back down from the rough stuff and will drop them as he did with Pat tough guy Rick Rypien and went toe to toe. Shows good leadership. Like his style of finish the check and get under the opposing teams skin. Had 14 goals and 16 assists to go along with his 160 pim.

Barry Horman: ( A- )
Barry came over from The Silvertips in the Busto trade. An overage who was brought in for leadership. Didn't take long to get an A on his jersey. The 6'1" 190lb. winger had 6 goals and 14 assists in 62 games with The Bronco's. Showed great leadership on and off the ice. Your typical well rounded player who was not fancy but did all the little things right. Got screwed the end of the season with two games left, flipped the ref. the bird and was given a gross misconduct and had to miss his last junior game with a suspension.

Brady Leavold: ( B+ )
First year with the club and came to camp as a 16 year-old rookie. Had 5 goals and 9 assists in his first year. The 5'11" 185lb. rookie won the rookie of the year award and was one of the best rookies we had this year. Also likes to bump and grind and is an agitator who likes to get under your skin. Looked like he belonged with the club and made very few rookie mistakes. Dean was not scared to throw him out in any situation. Good skater who needs to shoot the puck more but will come with time and as he becomes comfortable playing against older players. Had over a point a game with Ridge Meadows in the PIJHL scoring 20 goals and 24 assists to go along with 99 pim in 38 games the year before. Should become more of a goal scorer in the future.

Boris Leckovic: ( C+ )
Boris was picked up from Saskatoon for really nothing. The 6'0" 200lber tries to play the intimidater. First game with the Bronco's was laying challenges all night but had no taker. Has a short fuse and looses it easy. Second practice with the club took a puck to the jaw and broke it. Missed alot of the season with the broken jaw then returned with a face shield which prevented him from doing what he likes to do best which is fight. Although he likes to play tough hockey he is not the greatest fighter. Known as the Tazmanian Devil because of his style of play he soon became a crowd favourite. Skates all over the ice hitting everything that moved. More than once stepped in for his smaller team mates and knows his role. I don't consider him to be tough and hasen't got the best balance on his skates when fighting but still was willing.

Jerrid Sauer: ( B+ )
Showed vast improvement this year. Picked up chairman of the boards and most improved awards at the banquet. Came out of the Medicine Hat minor hockey system and i still can't see how The Tigers never picked him up. This kid wants to play in the W.H.L. so bad that last summer he bulked up almost 20lbs. so he would be stronger. Plays hard along the boards and was alot tougher to move off the puck. A grinder type who will be a two way player and not a scorer. Loves to play so much he will play his heart out for the team. At 5'11" 182 lbs. he may have peaked out at his height.

Scout

Flathead
03-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Barry Horman: ( A- )
Barry came over from The Silvertips in the Busto trade. An overage who was brought in for leadership. Didn't take long to get an A on his jersey. The 6'1" 190lb. winger had 6 goals and 14 assists in 62 games with The Bronco's. Showed great leadership on and off the ice. Your typical well rounded player who was not fancy but did all the little things right. Got screwed the end of the season with two games left, flipped the ref. the bird and was given a gross misconduct and had to miss his last junior game with a suspension.

Scout

I thought the Busto trade was for Schenderling? Did Horman not come ever with Desloges for Leavitt and Annessley?
Also Boris does know his role and plays it very well. He's not the toughest guy for his size, no. But he his tougher than you make him sound. I think because he knows his role, sticks to it, and plays it well, he deserves better than a C+.

Toswammi
03-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I gotta agree with flatty on the Boris point, no way is he a C player. This kid is really the only thing that resembles toughness in our forward core, and it is his role on the team to play that way, and 95% of the time he does, (yeah he loses his marbles now and then, oh well). True hes not a prototypical fighter, (i figure they might acquire a "goon" to add extra toughness this summer) but i think he might turn into a garbage goal speciallist, as hes one of the few players to go to the net hard.
Also why is barry so high, i didnt watch a lot of hockey but as a 20 yr old with lots of experience in this league i expected him to step up with the offense. Didnt happen, he was good on the pk, but after that, well......he was marginal at best.

Scout
03-28-2005, 07:13 AM
Once again i got mixed up on the Horman trade. We made so many moves this year it's hard to keep track and i'm sure next year will be the same.

As for Lechovic: I knew i would get a response on a C+ because he is a fan favourite. I am also a fan of his but i have also seen him fight twice and the last time he was throwing with both hands at the same time instead of grabbing his opponent and chucking them. It really looked funny. He is only 18 and needs to improve on his balance on his skates. Don't get me wrong and i'm glad to get your opinions, but he has to learn to fight. I maybe should have scored him higher but he played very little after he broke his jaw. He has alot of energy and does his job well but he needs to fight smarter instead of loosing it.

Horman was given such a high mark because of the leadership he showed on and off the ice. He also played his position very well and did alot of things right. He was a defensive player and finished his checks. He never gave up even if the score was 8-1. He is a graduate now and the players will miss him.

Scout

Scout
04-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Sorry for the delay on Report Cards but work got in the way:

Travis Brisbois: 5'9" 165lbs. ( B- )

This was Travis's rookie season. Played 2003/2004 in the SMHL with Swift Current where he played 30 games and had a point a game scoring 13 goals 16 assists for 29 points. Smaller player in the W.H.L. but had a lot of grit for a rookie. Played 57 games in his rookie year and had 1 goal 5 assists to go along with 38 PIM. Played sparingly to start the year and as he got more comfortable got more ice time. Never floated and was a team player. His draw back was knocking the much bigger players off the puck. Passes very well and has an average shot. Needs to grow and gain some weight. Good defensive center who back checked well.

Luke Hunter: 5'11" 173lbs ( A+ )

Luuuuuuke as he was called by the fans is top three in face -offs in the W.H.L. Good speed and a fan favourite. One of the few Bronco's who played all 72 games last year and lead the team in points scoring 24 goals and assisting on 21 for 45 points. The three years before as a Bronco he improved his point total by 10 points per year and last year improved by 20 points. Took his captaincey serious and had the respect of all his team mates. A quiet leader who lead by excample both on and off the ice. This guy any team would want to play for them. Classy off the ice and always had time for the fans. Volunteered for alot of off-ice activities. This kid will once again improve next year and should retain his C. Had a never quit attitude. Had a good shot, played the body, seldom lost face-offs and gave alot of respect to opposing players. If he hurt you with a check he would appologize but i have seen him loose his temper if goated. He will be the cornerstone that this team is built around next year.

Marek Kneble: 5'10" 160lbs. ( C)

Was a star in his native Chez. republic where he had 40 goals and 29 assists for 69 points in 50 games. Came over to North America and had problems adjusting to the more tight checking style. As the season wore on was used less. Played 44 games and had 3 goals and 1 assist for 4 points. Was our only Euro after Trojovsky was traded. Had a good set of wheels but never really did alot. Showed signs of brilliance but then would go back to being average. I look for him not returning next year and the Bronco's picking up two new Euro's. As the season wears on and you are getting less ice time, then i think you have fallen out of the coaches favour. A Euro taking up a spot should be above average and have alot of intensity. With us finishing out of the play-offs our Euro picks this year should be pretty high. Lets just hope we learned in the past on picking Russians who never seem to report.

Jeremy Schenderling 6'2" 185lbs ( B- )

Jeremy came to the Bronco's from The Kootney Ice. Upon first arriving looked to be a good trade, but as the season wore on he seemed to loose his grit. One of the bigger Bronco's who is more of a defensive forward. Played 67 games and had 13 goals, 11 assists for 24 points. Can fight if needed and did well the few times he dropped them. Had 90 pim. in those 67 games. Is a meat and potatoes type player who would rather run you over then go around you. Throws a good body check and has good wheels. Never worried about the puck but took out the man. Has a temper which he kept a lid on but when he lost it was hard to control. Not sure on him or what to expect next year. If he returns with grit and fire he will be a leader. If he comes back with little desire then look for him to be moved.

Colin Stone 6'1" 175lbs. ( Injured )

Scout

Flathead
04-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Brisebois, agree with everything you said. Could also add that he's great at getting under the skin of the opposition, plays a hard nosed, chippy game for a little guy. If he put on 20 pounds over the summer it would help him largely.

Hunter, amazing kid. Could be one of the leagues most underrated all around players.

Kneble, did the coaches give up on this kid??? I personally hope they give him another chance. He does show wonderful ability every now and then and it would be hard to adjust to the game, lifestyle, language, etc.. Anyone remeber Igor Valeev, we gave up on him, he went to the OHL and won rookie of the year.

Schenderling, when this guy came over he was a ball of fire. Played a very physical game, dropped the mitts, even put the puck in the net a few times. Then for some reason he just faded hard, and lost his game. Like Scout said needs to return with grit and fire, and I hope he does.

Colin Stone, I hope he can make a risk free, healthy return.

Toswammi
04-02-2005, 10:34 AM
I think that Knebl will not be a bad player if he can properly adjust to the new surroundings. I seen the kid play a few times this year, and he does have offensive upside, (or at least i think he does). I figure give him a chance next year with some offensive talent, and other players with size and he might turn out after all.
As for Colin, i don't know if he will come back. If he does he will essentially be a 19 yr old rookie after missing all of last year. I look at this at having two ways of playing itself out. First is the Dustin Heinz senerio where he officially retires due to injury, and gets the full ride through school. The second is where he comes back like Holleweg did i believe, and is an effective player after time. Time will tell.

Scout
04-05-2005, 06:03 PM
This was one position where the Bronco's were fairly strong:

Justin Cruse: 5'11" 185lbs. ( B- )

Justin was part of the Redenbach trade from Lethbridge. Was on a terrific pace when he first arrived scoring 8 points in his first 8 games. Finished the season with 10 goals 10 assists for 20 points in 71 games. A very versatile player who played forward and defence. Was used in a leadership role for a young team. Knew how to play the game. Wasen't fancy but always got the job done. Has graduated and is an assistant coach with The Prince Albert Raiders, a team his career first started with.

Marc Desloges: 6'1" 200lbs. ( A- )

Marc came from the Silvertips along with Horman. I liked this kid. Showed alot of determination and grit. One of the few players who stormed the net. Had a good shot but figured he had to set up Hunter. Was also sort of a protector of Hunter. Stepped in when he had to. Is supposed to be tough but was not needed in that role. Can tell he was coached by a different coach as he finished his checks. A defensive type player who had size. Played the boards very well. Had 35 points in 69 games.

David Murray: 6'1" 162lbs. ( C+ )

David is Deans type of player. Got injured and missed quite a few games. Played 53 games scoring 3 assisting on 6 for 9 points. Was one of the key players, along with Larochelle in the Redenbach deal. Only 18 but plays a strong game. Needs his weight to catch up to his height. Will be a great addition as he gets more playing time. Another defensive player who plays with grit. Will be great in a year and a treat to watch.

Michael Szczacher: 6'2" 175lbs. ( C- )

One of the few players in the league from the state of Texas. He and Van Lare from Saskatoon are both Texans, who when the two teams played each other dropped the mitts. Again i liked Michael but his playing time was dropped to almost nil in the second half. The kid played tough hockey and loved to fight. Won his share of scraps and always flew in for a team mate. Only played 46 games scoring 2 goals and adding two helpers. Is still young and can play in the league if given a chance. Was becoming a fan favourite for his fisti-cufs before ending up in the dog house. Saw very little ice time so had energy to burn when he got a shift. Usually went after the player who may have taken liberty on one of our smaller players. I don't think he will be back next year as his playing time was next to nil near the end. Lets hope another team doesn't pick him up or he will burn us.

Andrew Wasmuth: 6'0" 180lbs. ( C )

Andrew i never really noticed on the ice. Was a rookie and was an offensive threat in his last year in the KIJHL playing 48 games and scoring 29 goals, 36 assists for 65 points. Was rumored as not wanting to be here. If thats the case, he will be traded but that is only a rumor. If he stays, he will become better and be one of the few offensive threats we will have next year.

Scout

NEXT WE WILL LOOK AT THE PROSPECTS COMING IN.

Toswammi
04-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm hoping that the only one on that list that makes the team next year is Delsoges. The others, well in my opinion are wastes of roster spots, and tradeable.

Flathead
04-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I really look forward to watching Desloges next year. The only other i would like to really see get another shot would be Wasmuth, I think this kid can be a great player in this league. Can't really see Szazchor being hear next year, and Murray didn't do much to impress me. At least Szazchor shows that he wants to be hear and sticks up for his teamates, I can give him that.