PDA

View Full Version : Milan Lucic

Beaner
03-21-2005, 09:54 PM
So what are everyones thoughts on this kid who played his first game vs. Kelowna on Staurday?

Myself, I thought he played pretty well for his first game in the Dub. Didnt do anything stupid, finished his checks, and he didnt really look out of place.

I'm not too sure if he'll get to play in the playoffs, but he definatley showed he could play with the rest of the team.

Here are his stats from the Coquitlam Express (BCHL).

Milan Lucic
Position: Forward
Height/Weight: 6' 3" / 205 lbs
Birthplace: Vancouver, BC
Birthdate: June 7, 1988

2004 - 2005 50gp 9g 14a 23pts 100pim

sircountalot
03-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Looking pretty good for his first game in the dub. Not afraid to do the dirty work in the conrners and along the boards. He did look a step behind and seemed out breath when coming back to the bench a couple of shifts. Then again the pace is a bit quicker than he played this year. I doubt if he gets any playoff time though.

Beaner
03-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Well, I was just looking at the Injury list on the WHL site and it says that Kraus has a leg injury, which is the first I have heard of it.

So looking at that I can see Don putting someone new into the lineup to get some added size into the lineup to pound on Kelowna. Might just see him after all.

Kassian
03-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Lucic should stay in the line up until he does something to take himself out of the line up. He earned it saturday night. He played great, IMO.

He finished his checks, forechecked hard, was calm with the puck (which surprised me considering most rookies usually aren't at first) not to mention he set up a real nice scoring opportunity. He got more ice time as the game went on. That is rare for someone playing in their first game in the WHL.

He also challenged a few Kelowna players but nobody was willing.

I think he can be an asset for this team. He is much more valuable than a guy like Voytechek, IMO.

amisk
03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
And would also say Lucic would probably stay on his skates longer than Hunt can..I think we need his size more than anything, could be a long one, and we need to be aggressive to the max!! so :bounce: on them!!

Kassian
03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
And would also say Lucic would probably stay on his skates longer than Hunt can..I think we need his size more than anything, could be a long one, and we need to be aggressive to the max!! so :bounce: on them!!

I'm a big fan of Hunt, but I agree with you. At this point in time, Lucic is more valuable to the Giants than Hunt. Not only does he seem more "WHL ready" but he is a bigger body and he provides more intimidation. I hope he sticks in the line up.

Beaner
03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm a big fan of Hunt, but I agree with you. At this point in time, Lucic is more valuable to the Giants than Hunt. Not only does he seem more "WHL ready" but he is a bigger body and he provides more intimidation. I hope he sticks in the line up.

The problem with Hunt is he tends to get a lot of penalties with his style of play. I like how he plays but he has to be a bit more careful in that department to get a full time job.

Kassian
03-22-2005, 02:59 PM
The problem with Hunt is he tends to get a lot of penalties with his style of play. I like how he plays but he has to be a bit more careful in that department to get a full time job.

However, Don Hay has stressed so many times he doesn't mind if Hunt (or any of his players for that matter) take physical penalties (which most of Hunt's penalties are).

Anyway, I'd rather see Lucic play. I was impressed and I'd like to see more of him. At least if he doesn't do as well you can fall back on some other guys like Hunt and see how they do.

amisk
03-22-2005, 03:27 PM
However, Don Hay has stressed so many times he doesn't mind if Hunt (or any of his players for that matter) take physical penalties (which most of Hunt's penalties are).

Anyway, I'd rather see Lucic play. I was impressed and I'd like to see more of him. At least if he doesn't do as well you can fall back on some other guys like Hunt and see how they do.
I also like Hunts style of play..However, when he misses a check or goes into the boards his recovery time is far too long whereas Lucic seems to have a better sence of judgement when to hit or get off the pot so to speak!! I.M.H.O.

Kassian
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
I also like Hunts style of play..However, when he misses a check or goes into the boards his recovery time is far too long whereas Lucic seems to have a better sence of judgement when to hit or get off the pot so to speak!! I.M.H.O.

Oh I definitely agree. Like I said before, I'd rather see Lucic in the line up.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Lucic stays in the line-up. He was very impressive on Saturday. He played under control and didn't run around. With a big game and a huge crowd, he was in control and played a good physical game. Until he looks like he doesn't belong, he stays. Hunt, on the other hand, can't be trusted out there. Kelowna is too damn good of a team for us to be killing a bunch of penalties taken by a fourth-line winger. Too much running around to make a big hit. He usually face-plants into the glass on those hits anyway. So I say: Lucic, Voytechek, Lamb, Watt, Reese and Scarff should fill out the fourth lines. Sub in Costanzo for anyone not playing well. Hunt and Kraus go in only if injuries start occurring. Drop the puck already, I'm getting restless!

rinkrat
03-22-2005, 08:28 PM
While Mr Lucic looked good at times,I think you guys are getting a little carried away and feel the need to bring you back down to earth!
THAT WAS ONLY ONE GAME!!! He looked really good,don't get me wrong,but it was one game and he was flying on adrenalin!Lets see his decision making process over the long haul,in various situations.He barely got his feet wet.He is as green as grass.

Kassian
03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
While Mr Lucic looked good at times,I think you guys are getting a little carried away and feel the need to bring you back down to earth!
THAT WAS ONLY ONE GAME!!! He looked really good,don't get me wrong,but it was one game and he was flying on adrenalin!Lets see his decision making process over the long haul,in various situations.He barely got his feet wet.He is as green as grass.

Regardless he looked good. Until he doesn't or until he does something wrong he should stay in the line up. In the playoffs anything can happen and you have to go with the players that doing well or are on a hot streak. Even if that means sitting someone that is usually a regular.

If Lucic doesn't play as well in the next game or makes a costly mistake then he should be scratched in favor of someone else. This is a good thing...helps create a little more competition. Guys will be fighting to stay in the line up.

out of towner
03-25-2005, 02:00 PM
How do you figure to sit a kid who has acquired 35 points during the season? :clap: Compared to the others Lamb 15 points (great player & deserves more ice time), Reese 14 points (ditto), Watt 13 (penalty waiting to happen), Scharff 11 points (kinda wonder :confused: why having a dman play forward, when other FORWARDS are BETTER), Voytechek 5 points. Hunt 3 points Milan Lucic (only 1 game )

If Giants keep loosing by 1 point games., Doesn't it seem like you should play a kid who can get points in a game :confused:

Look at + /- All season long Kraus has been a Plus (2nd on team w/+8) ALso last year he was always a plus.

on, looking at the 3rd line of Watt - 16, Scharff -2 & Costanzo -8 (total minus)

Kassian
03-25-2005, 04:10 PM
How do you figure to sit a kid who has acquired 35 points during the season? :clap: Compared to the others Lamb 15 points (great player & deserves more ice time), Reese 14 points (ditto), Watt 13 (penalty waiting to happen), Scharff 11 points (kinda wonder :confused: why having a dman play forward, when other FORWARDS are BETTER), Voytechek 5 points. Hunt 3 points Milan Lucic (only 1 game )

If Giants keep loosing by 1 point games., Doesn't it seem like you should play a kid who can get points in a game :confused:

Look at + /- All season long Kraus has been a Plus (2nd on team w/+8) ALso last year he was always a plus.

on, looking at the 3rd line of Watt - 16, Scharff -2 & Costanzo -8 (total minus)

Considering you are from California (obviously a Kraus fan) I shouldn't bother responding. But I will anyway.

Kraus has played way too inconsistant (which is why he has been scratched a number of times). Lamb has played better lately, no argument from me there. Reese and Voytechek are both pretty much useless (they need to bulk up and learn to play more physical). Watt is much more than "a penalty waiting to happen". He is a big part of this team. He shows up every night, works his ass off, and because of his style of play he draws a lot of penalties from the opposing team. This kid has future captain material written all over him, IMO.

Lucic deserves to play because in that 1 game he has played, he looked better than guys like Voytechek, Reese, and Hunt have all year long.

out of towner
03-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Yes it is hard to determine all that is on the ice when you only have numbers to look at from afar. I have seen some games and he has looked fine, at least in our eyes :). Just trying to find out things, he was always a hard worker on our teams in Cali. I know lots of boys here look and follow the Cali boys and are trying to make it to the Dub also. Thanks for the input.

Go Giants !!!!!!!

Kassian
03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Yes it is hard to determine all that is on the ice when you only have numbers to look at from afar. I have seen some games and he has looked fine, at least in our eyes :). Just trying to find out things, he was always a hard worker on our teams in Cali. I know lots of boys here look and follow the Cali boys and are trying to make it to the Dub also. Thanks for the input.

Go Giants !!!!!!!

Hey, I have nothing against Kraus at all. Believe me when I say that. But sometimes good players need to be sat in order to get a wake up call. It happens to everyone at some point. I know Kraus won't be benched or scratched for the entire playoffs. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Reese and Voytechek should be playing in another league, IMO. That way they can sharpen their skills in Junior A or something. They need more ice time to develop. Playing on the 3rd and 4th lines for Vancouver in the WHL isn't going to help them.

Lucic plays a much different role than those two. His game is a physical one. So he is more useful to the team playing on the 3rd and 4th lines.

playon
03-25-2005, 11:59 PM
Not much ice for Lucic and looked a bit losted out there the game was way too fast and he didn't land any checks tonight, and as far as Kraus and Reese not playing you left 49 pts between them in the stands. Give your head a shake.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Not much ice for Lucic and looked a bit losted out there the game was way too fast and he didn't land any checks tonight, and as far as Kraus and Reese not playing you left 49 pts between them in the stands. Give your head a shake.
The team won. That means the correct lineup decisions were made. End of story. It would be tough for anyone to make a huge impact playing so few shifts.

playon
03-26-2005, 12:10 AM
That's a easy one for a Hunt, Reese, to understand they got the same amount of playing time but actually scored in games. Didn't matter who played on the 4th line tonight, they could have played tonight without one. Lucic should set out tommorow and let one of the others that have played a bit back into the lineup they might need the 4th line tommorow and someone who can put the puck in the net.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-26-2005, 12:32 AM
That's a easy one for a Hunt, Reese, to understand they got the same amount of playing time but actually scored in games. Didn't matter who played on the 4th line tonight, they could have played tonight without one. Lucic should set out tommorow and let one of the others that have played a bit back into the lineup they might need the 4th line tommorow and someone who can put the puck in the net.
There cannot be a Giants fan alive outside of the Hunt Family itself who wants to see him in the lineup in this series. He doesn't belong out there and is a penalty just waiting to happen. Reese might be a different story, but please(!), don't be throwing Hunt at me. I'm not buying that rubbish.

Kassian
03-26-2005, 12:38 AM

Give your head a shake buddy. Reese has done squat this season. He is too small and not physical enough.

If he is going to play on the 4th line he needs to play physical. Simple as that. He can't. He has tried and failed.

He played real well against Everett a few weeks back, and did good in one of the games against Kelowna, but other than that he has been invisible.

And like I said before, Kraus is too inconsistant. Some games he looks real into it and he is playing real well and other times you can't tell the difference between Kraus and a guy like Reese.

Lucic wasn't bad at all. He didn't make any crucial mistakes out there, and he played solid defensively. For his role, that is the most important thing.

Kassian
04-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Lucic is going to be back in the line up again tonight. I heard about this after game 4 but I didn't want to post it since Hay does change his mind a lot. But he even announced it on the radio this morning, so I guess it's a go.

Beaner
04-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Not surprised, the team looked tired on Wednesday.

Kassian
04-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Not surprised, the team looked tired on Wednesday.

Agreed.

He should be in the line up regardless though. 4th line players need to be able to check. Reese and Voytechek can't. You wouldn't hear me complain if he was in the line up (instead of those two) for the rest of the playoffs...