PDA

View Full Version : Okposo To Everett

Scout
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
TSN is reporting that F Kyle Okposo, 19, won't be returning to the U of Minnesota Golden Gophers after the World Junior Championship, where he will play for the U.S. Okposo was the seventh overall selection in the NHL's 2006 draft. From St. Paul, Minn., he was taken by the N.Y. Islanders, who are said to be close to signing him. His WHL rights belong to the Everett Silvertips, but he could play for the Islanders or for their AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, who are located in Connecticut. He had 11 points in 18 games in his second season at Minnesota.

dagley
12-19-2007, 08:21 PM
AHL don't count on him going to Everett.

tyeryan9
12-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Darren Dreger with TSN.ca Staff

12/19/2007 4:50:53 PM

University of Minnesota sophomore Kyle Okposo has made the decision to forgo the remainder of the 2007-08 season and his career with the Golden Gophers following the World Junior Hockey Championship where he will play for Team USA.

''While I'm disappointed Kyle is leaving at this point of the season, his dream has been to play pro hockey,'' Minnesota coach Don Lucia said in a press release. ''It is unfortunate that the Islanders put him in a very difficult position. I think our team has made strides the last few weeks and I'm looking forward to the second half of the season.''

Okposo, drafted seventh overall in 2006 by the New York Islanders, is believed to be close to agreement on an entry-level contract with the team and is said to be open to all options as he prepares to embark on his professional career.

If the Islanders have a spot for him, he will make his NHL debut.

Otherwise, the team is likely to keep its options open, which could include an assignment in Bridgeport, the Islanders American Hockey League affiliate, or a stint in the Western Hockey League with the Everett Silvertips, the CHL team that owns his junior player rights.

Sources add that Okposo wanted to turn pro in the summer, but decided to return to college hockey for one more year instead.

In his sophomore season with the Golden Gophers this season, Okposo has recorded six goals and five assists in 18 games.

Dwight Schrute
12-19-2007, 10:44 PM
playing for the tips wouldnt burn a year of ufa eligibility like playing in the nhl or ahl would. is half a season at age 19 worth more then a full seson at age 26 ?

SimonTemplar
12-20-2007, 08:38 AM
If he goes to AHL is won't burn a year either.

Hard to say but I doubt he left NCAA to go into Junior.

Probably Bridgeport to get accustomed with speed and size then maybe a call-up when rosters expand.

Everett is a long shot.

Simon in London

Tipped Off
12-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd say there is a less than 5% chance he comes to Everett. WJC ends Jan. 5. The trade deadline is Jan. 10. So in order to come to Everett he would have to fly back from WJC, prove to the team he couldn't handle NHL or AHL hockey and be sent to Everett within a 5 day span. I doubt he quits school to go there if they are only giving him a one day look.

dondo
12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
if he's only 19 he can't go to the AHL anyway -- so it makes no sense for him to leave the Gophers .. pretty sure playing for any pro (or "pro" team according to the archaic rules of the NCAA), burns more than just a year of eligibility -- or is it different if he's already played for a college team?

or is he one of those cusp players that is 19, but 20 according to his birthdate, so is eligible to be sent to the AHL.

Tipped Off
12-20-2007, 12:44 PM
...he can go to the aHL since he's never signed a CHL education contract.

Cut and pasted from another site:
he never signed a WHL players card (Which would have cost him his NCAA eligibility). Just because Everett holds his major junior rights has no bearing on his ability to play in a minor pro league. The Islanders can send him to thier AHL or an ECHL affiliate if they choose. If they choose to reassign him to Everett it has to be before the trade deadline.

From Nick Patterson's Blog:
Okposo on his way?

Posted at 3:40 pm by Nick Patterson

TSN.ca, Canada's version of ESPN, is reporting that University of Minnesota power forward Kyle Okposo will not return to school following the World Junior Hockey Championships. This is relevant because Okposo, the player who was taken one spot ahead of Peter Mueller in the 2006 NHL draft, happens to be on Everett's protected list, and the TSN story mentioned Everett as a possible destination. If he did somehow end up a Silvertip, it would be a massive addition to the team.

However, I don't think there's a great likelihood he'll end up here. It's very possible he's ready to join the NHL's New York Islanders -- five of the six players taken before him are NHL regulars -- and because he's coming from the NCAA ranks, he's eligible to play in the AHL as a 19-year-old whereas if he was coming from major junior the AHL wouldn't be an option.
So don't expect to see Okposo as a Silvertip. But who knows, maybe Santa

Oh, one more thing that needs to be mentioned. When Everett coach John Becanic was an assistant for the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, the head coach was none other than Ted Nolan, the Islanders' current head coach. Take that for what you will

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Has been assigned to The NYI's AHL team.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=348990&page=NewsPage&service=page

Dwight Schrute
01-14-2008, 10:09 PM
If he goes to AHL is won't burn a year either.

Hard to say but I doubt he left NCAA to go into Junior.

Probably Bridgeport to get accustomed with speed and size then maybe a call-up when rosters expand.

Everett is a long shot.

Simon in London
wrong he is burning up a year of ufa status by playin in the ahl. hence nicolas bergfors playing in his 3rd pro season in the ahl at age 20 , 4 more seasons and he will be a ufa