PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Loose Last Minute Thriller To Tigers

Scout
12-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Broncos lose last minute thriller to Tigers
STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

Brennan Bosch ruined the Swift Current Broncos return to the Credit Union iplex as he scored four goals, including the game winner with 13 seconds left in regulation, to lift the Medicine Hat Tigers to a 6-5 win over the host Broncos on Friday night.

Bosch, who now has nine goals on the season, scored twice on the powerplay and banked in the game winner from behind the goal line to give the Tigers the come from behind victory.

Swift Current, who played at home for the first time since Dec. 4th, led by period scores of 2-1 and 4-3 and held a 5-4 advantage with 7:15 left in the final period before the Tigers stormed back with their 21st win of the season.

The Tigers also had a powerplay goal from Daine Todd, and Travis Dunstall scored the game tying goal with 2:47 left in regulation.

Swift Current replied with goals from David Stieler, Levi Nelson, Eric Doyle, and Dale Weise with a shorthanded breakaway goal.

Tigers’ netminder Ryan Holfeld yielded five goals on only 17 shots but still picked up his 10th win of the season.

Broncos’ goaltender Travis Yonkman turned aside 36 of 42 shots, including 15 saves in the middle period when the Broncos were outshot by a 17-3 margin.

The Tigers went three for eight on the powerplay, with two goals coming on five-on-three powerplays. The Broncos connected on three of six man-advantage situations.
Medicine Hat held a 42-17 edge in shots.

Overage defenseman Michael Wilson was looking for positives in the last minute loss.

“We came out with a pretty good effort I thought. Both teams worked really hard, but we had a couple of bad bounces their way.”

Special teams were pivotal in the loss, Wilson pointed out.

“We were pretty good on the powerplay but we also took way too many penalties. They had two five-on-three’s which killed us.”

The Broncos will need to recover quickly for Saturday night’s rematch in Medicine Hat.

“I think we have to come out with the same effort in the first period and play the whole game like that and hopefully we can steal one in their rink.”

Broncos captain Zack Smith admitted that the loss was a tough one.

“It was a difficult one today, we really wanted to get two points coming back off the long break. We showed lots of energy and heart. There are a lot of things that we have to work on, I mean it is halfway through the season and we shouldn’t have to be working on that stuff right now. We had a few lapses that cost us the game including penalties.”

Smith wasn’t buying into the lopsided 42-17 total on the shot clock in the Tigers favor.

“I don’t think that related to the play, I guess you would have to check the chances sheet, that might be a bit closer. Yonkman did face a few shots and he played really well tonight.”

Smith believes that the Broncos need to make some changes to get back into the win column.

“We have to stop taking penalties and throw more shots on the net. I think we had a few more shots then 17, but that is something we have to work on. We are trying to make the pretty play right now as well as we have the opportunity to bear down and capitalize on our chances which we didn’t tonight.”

The Tigers improved their Central Division record to 21-13-3-1, while the Broncos’ falls to 18-15-0-5.

The teams meet again tonight in Medicine Hat to close out a weekend home-and-home series.

ointhecreek
12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Wilson thinks that was a pretty good effort? Better give his head a shake. If everyone thinks that we are in big trouble! vci33

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
12-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't even get me started on Michael Wilson. Why don't we just move him up to forward, he sure doesn't seem to do much in terms of defense.

My hope is that some team looks at him on stats alone and offers us something decent in exchange.

d-man
12-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Wilson has to learn that rushing in isn't acceptable all the time. In the Friday game it was 4 on 4 and he's carrying the puck behind the net. Wiese is stuck covering the blueline when Wiese should be in front or driving TO the net.