PDA

View Full Version : Regner likes bigger role

nivek_wahs
12-29-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=2f54c419-9400-44d2-967f-13b79da0a6f9

Regner likes bigger role
Giants 3 Blazers 2. Defenceman steps up game with Blum gone
Steve Ewen, The Province
Published: Friday, December 28, 2007
Vancouver Giants defenceman Brent Regner showed Thursday how much he's learned in two years, including handling first-star honours.

"This time, I didn't trip over the boards," said Regner, who took a tumble when he got a postgame accolade for the first time in his WHL rookie campaign last year. "This time, I went out the gate. Last year, I tried to hop over the boards. I had no idea what I was doing."

With top defenceman Jon Blum away with Team USA at the world juniors, No. 2 man Regner played even more than normal with the Giants Thursday, logging likely more than 30 minutes.

He sparkled with it, too, including setting up a pair of goals by winger Garry Nunn in a gritty 3-2 win over the Kamloops Blazers before an impressive Canucks-night crowd of 9,784 at the Pacific Coliseum.

Defenceman Mike Berube bagged the winner on a power play with 9:13 to go in the third period. It was the seventh straight win for Vancouver.

"It's a little more heat on me, but I just have to rise to the challenge," said Regner, who has gone from the blueline youngster last year to the team's wily veteran on the backline with Blum away now.

"I just have to step in there and be the guy, but I like that. I have to be on my game. I have to bring it even more than normal.

"The standards don't change here. You keep the bar up and you keep pushing and pushing. You stick to your systems, too, because systems win hockey games."

The Giants (25-7-1-3), who were already without injured leading scorer Michal Repik (head) and rookie blueliner Neil Manning (thumb), will miss Blum to the Czech Republic tournament for seven games in total.

Rookie wingers Evander Kane and James Henry, who are playing with Team Pacific and Team Western at the under-17 world challenge in London, Ont., will be gone for the same stint. steve.ewen@gmail.com

© The Vancouver Province 2007