PDA

View Full Version : Blades are Struch's team now

nivek_wahs
12-29-2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=6ced0f90-8a5e-4611-8627-a7cb5aff3af3

Blades are Struch's team now
Head coach for two games while Molleken goes scouting

Kevin Mitchell, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, December 29, 2007

David Struch doesn't take the shots anymore, but he'll be calling them this weekend.

The Saskatoon Blades' assistant coach takes over as head coach on an interim basis for a home-and-home set with the Regina Pats today (7:05 p.m., Credit Union Centre) and Sunday. Head coach Lorne Molleken is heading to London, Ont., to watch the World Under-17 Challenge.

"We've pretty much got the game-plan in place," Struch, a former Blades player, said Friday afternoon following a preparation session with Molleken. "From my standpoint, there won't be a whole lot more to do other than getting myself ready mentally and getting a little bit nervous."

Struch, into his second season as a Blades' assistant, spent one campaign as a player/head coach in Europe and two more as a player/assistant.

This is the first time he has taken on head duties in the WHL.

"Lorne's given me a lot of time on the bench with both the D and the forwards," Struch said. "Reading and reacting as a coach is one of the things I'll be doing a little more of during both these games."

The Blades fell to 12-21-2-0 Thursday with a 3-1 road loss to the Prince Albert Raiders. Saskatoon has just two road wins all season, but is an impressive 10-4-1-0 at home. Two of those victories came against the Pats, whose 23-14-1-1 record is second overall in the WHL Eastern Conference.

Saskatoon's playoff chances are growing increasingly remote, but Struch holds out hope for a second-half turnaround. The Blades spotted Prince Albert a 2-0 first-period lead Thursday, then played two solid frames before exiting empty-handed.

"We've dug ourselves a big hole already and the whole organization recognizes that," Struch said. "The one good thing we do have here is a good ownership group and good staff -- everybody stays positive and we believe there's lots left in the tank for us to pull this off. We're a lot of points out of that last playoff spot, but we got the turkey legs out in Prince Albert."

The Blades continue to play without Colton Gillies, who is with Team Canada at the world junior championship, and Stefan Elliott, who is competing for Team Pacific at the Under-17 Challenge.

kmitchell@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007