PDA

View Full Version : Tribe splits games in grueling weekend

nivek_wahs
12-31-2007, 10:02 AM
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=93795&sc=9

Tribe splits games in grueling weekend

COREY ATKINSON
The Moose Jaw Times Herald

After not playing at all for a week and a half, playing three games in three nights is bound to be more than a bit taxing.
Fortunately with a quick start, the Warriors still managed a 3-2 win over the Seattle Thunderbirds in Seattle, going 2-1 so far on their US road trip.
“I thought we had a really good first period, and then I thought the fatigue of playing three in three right after the (Christmas) break really set in after that,” said Warriors coach Dave Hunchak. “Joey Perricone stole one for us tonight.”
Goaltender Perricone made 40 saves on 42 Seattle shots in the game, less than 24 hours after he was pulled for the third period of a 6-1 loss to Everett.
Perricone’s ability to come back from that doesn’t surprise Hunchak.
“I thought he did a real good job tonight of regaining his composure and focussing,” Hunchak said. “He was extremely solid and there’s no question Joe was the difference in the game tonight.”
The Warriors opened the scoring with three goals in the first period. Big forwards Frazer McLaren, Ryley Grantham each tallied, with Joel Broda scoring the other on a feed from Giffen Nyren.
Although Lindsay Nielsen and Jeremy Boyer scored for the Thunderbirds, one of Perricone’s saves was on a penalty shot from Seattle Greg Scott, a save which ultimately saved the win for the Warriors.
Former Warrior Ian McKenzie notched an assist on Boyer’s goal.
Four points in three nights is good enough to pull Moose Jaw into a tie for second place in the WHL’s East Division.
“It’s a funny game,” said Hunchak. “I thought we played a way better game (Saturday) and lost 6-1, and tonight we win 3-2. That’s hockey, I guess. We’ll take our points and run.”
In Everett Saturday, the Warriors fell behind 2-0 before Jason Bast scored his 15th of the season. Shortly after that, Clayton Bauer scored for Everett and the Silvertips walked to a 6-1 win. The Silvertips scored four power play goals, three of them by defencemen.
The Warriors fired 35 shots at Shayne Barrie, Everett’s rookie goaltender while Todd Mathews and Perricone combined to see 33 shots.
With the 180 minutes of hockey in a short time frame with a thin roster, the Warriors are a bit banged up.
“We’re facing some serious adversity right now and we’re trying to fight through ’er,” Hunchak said.
The team will take a day off to watch the Seattle Supersonics play the Philadelphia 76ers in NBA action, and then will travel to Spokane for a day of practice before Wednesday’s tilt against the Tri-City Americans.