PDA

View Full Version : Raiders lose again

nivek_wahs
12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=93810&sc=5

Raiders lose again

RYAN BOULTON
The Prince Albert Daily Herald

Two in a row is as good as it gets at this point for the Prince Albert Raiders.

Fatigued and maybe a bit emotionally drained after back-to-back wins to begin the second half of their western Hockey League schedule, the Raiders (13-21-3-2) rolled into Edmonton's Rexall Place Sunday afternoon to take on the expansion Oil Kings (14-18-2-4), and were easily exposed in a 5-1 defeat.

Riding high after winning back-to-back games for just the third time this season, the Raiders were unable to keep pace with the Oil Kings, who managed to stay on top of Prince Albert in the battle for a Eastern Conference playoff spot.

"I felt we had a good beginning to the game but we fell behind and didn't seem to recover," said head coach Bruno Campese from the road. "We were playing catch-up the whole night."

At the 13:10 mark of the first period Brent Raedeke gave the Oil Kings a lead they would never relinquish.

Campese said Sunday's contest was a game the Raiders needed as they still consider themselves with a chance to challenge for the post season.

"We had an opportunity to jump ahead of Edmonton in the standings and win three in a row, which is something else we haven't done this season, but we couldn't get it done," he said. "We might have gotten off to a good start after Christmas but it still is a learning process. It doesn't matter where we are playing or when we are playing, we have to be able to play every time out."

Cameron Cepek, Brandon Lockerby, Shayne Neigum and Brett Breitreuz had the other goals for the Oil Kings who blew the game open with the man advantage. Edmonton was three-for-five on the powerplay Sunday while the Raiders were unsuccessful on two opportunities.

Ryan MacDonald, with his first goal in three games, had the lone goal for the Raiders.

Down 2-0 the Raiders leading scorer added to his numbers as he scored on a backhand after an Andy Smith face-off win.

Dustin Butler made 25 saves in Prince Albert's losing effort, while Edmonton back-up Dalyn Flette got the nod for the Oil Kings, turned aside 24 shots for the win.

rboulton@paherald.sk.ca

TheSnowman
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
sorry i didn't research myself but have the guys won three in a row yet this year?

Zookeeper
01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
sorry i didn't research myself but have the guys won three in a row yet this year?

NO, not yet, hopefully soon.