PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Notes/Highlights

Scout
01-02-2008, 07:11 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Tuesday's notes and highlights. . . .

WHL trade deadline: Jan. 10, 3 p.m. Calgary time

The cards, it seems, are mostly in the hands of Dallas Thompson, the general manager of the Prince George Cougars.
We are referring, of course, to the approaching WHL trade deadline of Jan. 10.
”It all depends on Ty Wishart,” one WHL front-office type said. “Once he moves, a lot of other things may happen.”
Wishart, a 19-year-old defenceman who was a first-round pick by the San Jose Sharks in the 2006 NHL draft, appears to be the prize available at this deadline.
With the Cougars 11 points out of a Western Conference playoff spot, there isn’t much doubt but that general manager Dallas Thompson will move Wishart.
"Everyone brings up Wishart's name, and there are other guys who have gotten interest,” Thompson told the Prince George Citizen. “Wishart is one of those premier guys who is out there and could be available if the price is right. I'm not going to give him away for average players."
What price would be right? You can start with a first-round bantam pick. Last season, the Cougars sent their pick, along with D Stefan Elliott, to the Saskatoon Blades to get RW Devin Setoguchi.
Thompson added that Wishart isn’t the only player on his roster who has drawn interest.
"There are a lot of teams interested in some of our guys, I will say that,” Thompson said.
You have to wonder if the Spokane Chiefs, who are tied with the Vancouver Giants for first place overall, would have an interest in Wishart?
Last season, the Vancouver Giants acquired D A.J. Thelen, 20, from the Prince Albert Raiders at the deadline and he proved to be a perfect fit as they went on to win the Memorial Cup. Wishart is better than Thelen and could play anywhere in the Chiefs’ top four on the back end.
“He could be the guy to push the Chiefs over the top,” one WHL team official said.

---------

The Regina Leader-Post is reporting that Pats general manager Brent Parker is still shopping, despite having acquired two experienced physical forwards – J.D. Watt, 20, and Scott Doucet, 19 – from the Red Deer Rebels on Tuesday.
According to Greg Harder of The Leader-Post:
“Parker said he’d like to add another scorer to his lineup if he can. There’s also the possibility of acquiring a veteran defenceman to stabilize the back end and give the team another physical presence.
”The rumour du jour has Kamloops Blazers captain Ryan Bender ending up with his hometown team. The 20-year-old Regina product is believed to have asked for a trade, expressing a strong desire to play for the Pats.
“In order to accommodate Bender, Regina would have to move one of its three 20-year-olds: Watt, Troy Ofukany or Tim Kraus. Ofukany is from Kamloops.”
When I spoke with Bender on Tuesday night, he said he has heard the rumors but that he hasn’t asked out.
“I’m more worried about winning hockey games than asking for a trade,” he said. “There’s been a lot of rumours and speculation and stuff but . . .,
“No, I haven’t . . . . there hasn’t been anything. Just rumours and speculation . . .”

--------

Despite what it shows on the scoresheet on the WHL’s website, Regina C Tim Kraus didn’t play in the Pats’ 2-1 OT loss to the visiting Swift Current Broncos on Tuesday. He is out after taking a puck to his left ear on Sunday during a 2-1 loss to the visiting Saskatoon Blades. After that game, Pats coach Terry Perkins said the ear, which was struck by a shot from teammate Juraj Valach, “blew apart.” On Tuesday, Kraus told the Regina Leader-Post’s Rob Vanstone: “As soon as I went down, I knew something was wrong. I took my helmet off and started bleeding everywhere. I knew it wasn’t good, so I just got off the ice as soon as I could.” Kraus ended up in surgery. “The doctor who was here at the game took a look at it and figured it was too much for him to do,” Kraus, 20, said, “so they called a plastic surgeon. I went over to the hospital and was there for two hours. I think he was stitching it up for 45 minutes to an hour. I think it’s the most I’ve bled. I shattered my jaw when I was 18 and I didn’t bleed that much. It looked pretty gruesome to see it at its worst, but it wasn’t that bad.” Kraus hopes to return to the lineup Saturday against the visiting Lethbridge Hurricanes.

---------

Red Deer G James Reimer, who has missed five games with an ankle problem, is expected to return Wednesday night against the visiting Brandon Wheat Kings. . . . The Lethbridge Hurricanes open a three-game swing in Swift Current on Wednesday and they do it without G Juha Metsola, who has a groin injury. The Hurricanes have added G Peter Sombyk, 17, to their roster. He plays for the midget AAA Edmonton Maple Leaf Athletic Club.

---------

TUESDAY’S HIGHLIGHTS:
In Regina, D Michael Wilson’s goal with two seconds left in OT gave the Swift Current Broncos a 2-1 victory over the Pats. . . . The Broncos (19-16-0-5), who had lost four straight, are eighth in the Eastern Conference, nine points ahead of the Edmonton Oil Kings and four behind the Moose Jaw Warriors. . . . Regina (24-15-2-1) leads the East Division so is the conference’s second seed, four points behind the Calgary Hitmen. . . . Regina, with players injured, suspended, traded away and with tournament commitments, was able to dress only nine forwards. . . . Regina G Linden Rowat made 28 saves, three more than Swift Current’s Travis Yonkman. . . . Swift Current got a first-period goal from C Levi Nelson, his 14th, and Regina LW Michael MacAngus got his 11th in the second. . . . Regina LW Troy Ofukany has been suspended by the WHL for a hit on Saskatoon D Teigan Zahn on Sunday. The length of the suspension will be determined this week. . . .

In Saskatoon, C Kyle Bortis, who is from Saskatoon, scored twice and set up another as the Calgary Hitmen doubled the Blades, 4-2. . . . Calgary (26-12-1-2) is atop the Eastern Conference, while Saskatoon (13-22-2-1) is ahead of only the Red Deer Rebels. . . . Bortis, who was acquired from Swift Current earlier in the season, leads the Hitmen with 22 goals. . . . C T.J. Galiardi had three assists for Calgary. . . . GM/head coach Lorne Molleken was back behind the Saskatoon bench after a scouting trip to the U-17 World Hockey Challenge in the London, Ont., area. . . . Calgary held a 29-20 edge in shots, but it was 25-12 through 40 minutes.