PDA

View Full Version : I think its official

Tinner
01-02-2008, 05:42 PM
with the trade announced today, it looks like it won't be long until Reimer is moved. I say that because it looks like the Reb management has decided to be a seller and build (yet again) for next year.

SectionNDeserter
01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Thus far they have traded a player that won't be back next season, and a player that potentially wouldn't be back next season while trading up a round in the draft and picking up a player that will be back next season, and a player that should be here for many seasons. The team will improve next season, but I don't believe they will be strong until the following season--at which point Reimer wouldn't be eligible to play in the WHL anymore anyways. With the amount of playing time that they need to give some of the younger goaltenders in order to develop them for when the team will be strong, Reimer will be rotting on the bench. I think the only way they will keep Reimer is if they know something about the team next season that we don't :D

Scout
01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
I was told from a very good source that Reimer was traded before his injury to an East Division team and they were working out the details, or talking more players in the trade. Not sure if the deal was nixed after the injury, but for sure he is being dangled.

Scout

dagley
01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
What team in the East really needs a goaltender though? I mean, Saskatoon has Holtby and he's a good goaltender, he just has no team in front of him. Prince Albert has Butler, unless their willing to deal him and get Reimer, which I don't know why they would. Swift Current is the only potential team I can see him going to out East, although Yonkman has been sub-par this year. Moose Jaw has former MVP Perricone, and in Brandon Caliguri is out number 1 for the next 2 years. Regina has Rowat who has been really good this year.

Rebel66
01-03-2008, 12:40 AM
I say that because it looks like the Reb management has decided to be a seller and build (yet again) for next year.

And why not? They're not going anywhere this season or the next probably. They may as well bulk up for the next few years. Reimer wouldn't be here in a couple of years in any case. If they can move him to a contender and get younger and, ultimately, better long-term in the process then they should do so imo.

Reimer was stellar tonight too. His trade value just soared! :)

I really liked the look of the new guys as well. They fit in very well.....

rebelfan
01-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Reimer will be rotting on the bench.:D

You really don't like this guy do you? Mind telling why?

rebelfan
01-04-2008, 01:22 AM
What team in the East really needs a goaltender though?

I am under the impression it is Brandon who is looking for a seasoned goaltender for the playoff run. No?

dubnut
01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
It's not that your team is rebuilding and thus the poor output. There are several young rebuilding teams in the league who are doing fine. Brent Sutter liked to brag that the year they won the Memorial Cup they had a young team. Red Deer looks lack lustre, without motivation and undisciplined. Something has happened to this team since even last year. Something's not right tonight in Red Deer. Maybe off ice issues figure in as much as on ice problems.

For the calibre of team that Reimer is playing on, I'd like to see what he could do infront of a real team. He is sitting right behind the Spokane/Vancouver/Calgary goaltenders for GAA and way ahead of Vancouver/Calgary/Brandon in Save % yet his team is ranked last in the division and Eastern conference and close to the bottom in the league. Along with Mucha, this kid needs a chance to play on a contending team atleast once in his WHL career.

SectionNDeserter
01-04-2008, 07:55 AM
You really don't like this guy do you? Mind telling why?Huh? When have I ever said anything bad about Reimer? The comment that you quoted was one that I made in reference to his talent being wasted sitting on the bench, while the Rebels simultaneously try to get some of their young goalies experience.

It's not that your team is rebuilding and thus the poor output. There are several young rebuilding teams in the league who are doing fine.There isn't any teams in the WHL that have even come close to icing as many rookies as the Rebels have this season. There is a lot of factors that have led up to their poor showing this season as well. They were really counting on Starkov to return and put up some big numbers--he was the only returning player that could be considered a scorer. Watt was supposed to put up some numbers as well, but was injured and suspended for a good chunk of his stay here, and was ineffective the rest of the time. The rest of our returning forwards are checkers and grinders, and the players that were available for us to acquire also played a similar role on their former teams. Our rookie defensemen have played about as good as your average defenseman plays, but our veteran defensemen have played average on a GOOD night--on most nights one or more of them have been terrible.

Tinner
01-04-2008, 08:19 AM
yes, we have a rookie laydened team, but more importantly is why? Others teams go though the same proccess of bringing guys in at the bottom as guys go off the top. So why do we have so many rookies/young guys. Biggest reason is because of poor trades, suspect talent and last but not least, players who don't want to be here. The Rebels record on trades has been abysmal at best. We have traded for guys to help that turned out to be again traded for guys that could help, rookies or prospects. Our talent level is weak to the point that we can't even score enough to overcome any great game the goalies play.

Again, we make another trade that will help us in a couple of years. Ever since we won the Cup, we have been rebuilding and it looks like the trend will continue. Do we have talented guys we can build from within? I'm not sure as its hard to tell watching this year because of the over-all poor team play. SectionN stated that it might be hard to win games with grinders. No kidding!

Since the team has decided that re-building is our future, then a couple more trades have to happen while there is a market. One, as good as Reimer has been, he is our most marketable player and should be moved to get the best bang for the buck and, secondly, move Brandon to a team to strengthen their second line and add a little depth.

SectionNDeserter
01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
So why do we have so many rookies/young guys. Biggest reason is because of poor trades, suspect talent and last but not least, players who don't want to be here. The Rebels record on trades has been abysmal at best.What trades have been abysmal? Only trade in recent history that I felt was bad was the Zetariuk deal, as we were trading a player from a position where we already lacked depth. All the other trades we made, at the very least addressed a position of weakness on the team.

We have traded for guys to help that turned out to be again traded for guys that could help, rookies or prospects.They have for the most part traded guys that are struggling. You don't honestly expect other teams to give up the top talent on their teams for players that are struggling do you?

Again, we make another trade that will help us in a couple of years. Ever since we won the Cup, we have been rebuilding and it looks like the trend will continue.Were you here last season? Sure all our talent was up front, but that was not a rebuilding season by a long shot. Or do you only consider a season that you win the league championship a non-rebuilding season? The few seasons after we won the cup we still had a strong team as well. Were we rebuilding the seasons we had Phaneuf and Ward? I think you may be blowing it a little out of proportion for some reason.....

Do we have talented guys we can build from within? I'm not sure as its hard to tell watching this year because of the over-all poor team play.Ferraro, Redmond, Miller, Petrovic, Kot, Weller.... The list goes on. Aside from a handful of games this season, they have not been completely dominated by their opposition on the scoreboard, which is a positive they can take with them into next season.

sbtatter
01-04-2008, 09:08 AM
What team in the East really needs a goaltender though? I mean, Saskatoon has Holtby and he's a good goaltender, he just has no team in front of him. Prince Albert has Butler, unless their willing to deal him and get Reimer, which I don't know why they would. Swift Current is the only potential team I can see him going to out East, although Yonkman has been sub-par this year. Moose Jaw has former MVP Perricone, and in Brandon Caliguri is out number 1 for the next 2 years. Regina has Rowat who has been really good this year. I think the jury is still out on Caliguri's ability to lead us to a big playoff run. His GAA and save % aren't great when you consider the low number of shots we give up. He's been better than expected, but a lot of people aren't sure if he's the man. Hopefully he proves us wrong!!

RebelsFan
01-04-2008, 10:00 AM
They have been working on getting Reimer to Brandon for weeks or longer. It was very close a while ago but should happen. The question would be is who backs up Reimer in Brandon? Caliguri has proven he can start in this league (Just maybe not the confidence in him for a playoff run at this point). I am sure he won't be happy being relegated to a back up role. Red Deer as of a few weeks ago didn't need Caliguri but Clark has been shaky lately. Maybe a goalie switch isn't out of the question. There may also be picks involved to even up the deal.

rebelfan
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
What trades have been abysmal? Only trade in recent history that I felt was bad was the Zetariuk deal, as we were trading a player from a position where we already lacked depth. All the other trades we made, at the very least addressed a position of weakness on the team.

You're kidding right?

CrazyGeorge
01-04-2008, 03:26 PM
So whats official then?

RebelsFan
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I believe it's official that the Rebels will be calling this a rebuilding year. I think most of us new that would be the case anyway.

SectionNDeserter
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
You're kidding right?Not in the least. I don't really know of any other trades that we made that didn't address some sort of deficiency in our roster, even if they were short term solutions(though what is long term in Jr Hockey). The Zetariuk deal really wasn't really that great, because there wasn't anyone that was readily available in our system to step up and replace his physical presence, and we wound up restocking our blueline the following season with some castoffs from Prince George and Vancouver....

old_time_hockey
01-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Not in the least. I don't really know of any other trades that we made that didn't address some sort of deficiency in our roster, even if they were short term solutions(though what is long term in Jr Hockey). The Zetariuk deal really wasn't really that great, because there wasn't anyone that was readily available in our system to step up and replace his physical presence, and we wound up restocking our blueline the following season with some castoffs from Prince George and Vancouver....

You guys got hosed in the Watt deal.

dagley
01-04-2008, 06:02 PM
They have been working on getting Reimer to Brandon for weeks or longer. It was very close a while ago but should happen. The question would be is who backs up Reimer in Brandon? Caliguri has proven he can start in this league (Just maybe not the confidence in him for a playoff run at this point). I am sure he won't be happy being relegated to a back up role. Red Deer as of a few weeks ago didn't need Caliguri but Clark has been shaky lately. Maybe a goalie switch isn't out of the question. There may also be picks involved to even up the deal.

I know it's not about emotions, but I'd feel terrible if Caliguri was to be put on to be a backup, he's been exceptional this year. Although he's not entirely big, he's a good goaltender. Which doesn't make sense to me, Red Deer had to know that this year would be a rebuilding year, why wasn't Reimer involved in the Louis deal? Unless they were holding out and see what the market was for a goaltender at the deadline. It still wouldn't make sense to trade for Reimer when he's 19, when our 20 year olds are already pretty much locked up next year with Lowry, Clark and Erb. Unless Kelly wants to bring in Hayes next year as the full-time starter and get 3 years out of him.

SectionNDeserter
01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
You guys got hosed in the Watt deal.We would have gotten hosed, had we given up a player of any value for him. As it were, we gave up a defenseman that is interchangeable with at least 4 of our current defensemen, for a player that played a few games for us, then we turned over for a 1st rounder.

As for Reimer, if he were actually signed by the Leafs, I am sure that it would make the decision just that much easier, but as it is he appears destined to be back in the WHL next season.

dubnut
01-05-2008, 12:33 AM
As for Reimer, if he were actually signed by the Leafs, I am sure that it would make the decision just that much easier, but as it is he appears destined to be back in the WHL next season.

Don't be so sure. Reimer after his SO victory tonight sits above both Spokane goalies and Vancouver in SAV% and is second in the league with a Sav% of .920. His GAA just improved to 2.41 on a team that is 21st of 22 teams. A goaltender on the worst team in the Eastern Conference is sitting in second place in the league. Signed or not signed that has to turn some heads.

SectionNDeserter
01-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Oh I don't doubt that he is turning some heads, but I don't know if there are any contenders out there that are both in need of a goaltender THAT badly, and are going to be willing to give up what they would be asking for him. If he were signed already, the likelyhood of him returning next season would be considerably less, thus making him less valuable. I liken his situation to Bouwmeester's a few years back--just in the right place at the wrong time teamwise, but his value was just too high due to the fact that he could have returned for one more season.

RebFan03
01-05-2008, 04:05 AM
Dallas Jackson to Regina for Troy Ofukany
this clears up the 20 year old situation...for now at least

SectionNDeserter
01-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Source?