PDA

View Full Version : Keens Korner (Bala Brutal)

Scout
01-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Keen's Korner

Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Bala-Brutal
Enough.

How many times this season will WHL Linesman ( yes just a simple linesman) Kelly Balaberda be the center of attention of a hockey game?

Another chapter in the Balaberda/Swift Current Broncos ongoing feud was written tonight. This chapter is the spiciest to date in the saga filled with several twists and turns.

Tonight he was the focus of the fans, us the broadcasters but mostly Broncos Head Coach and General Manager Dean Chynoweth who boiled over in the third period.

Chynoweth, who will be a little lighter in the pocket-book this week, was assessed a game misconduct after tossing two water bottles in the direction of the WHL's most talked about linseman ( that's right he's a linesman not a referee). The second bottle had some gas on it as Balaberda shielded his face with his hand in the center ice circle. Chynoweth, a former left-handed pitcher in the Calgary Little Leagues showed he still has the heater.

The heat will be on Chynoweth though as the WHL will render a fine in the neighborhood of $500 and a suspension to top it off.

The incident occurred late in the third at the end of the play when Broncos Czech forward David Stieler flipped the puck up in an attempt to get it to one of the officials. Balaberda was streaking into the play making sure the teams would have cool heads as the whistle blew when Stieler blindly sauced the puck a couple feet in the air and clipped Balaberda's tanned face as he skated by. After a loud f-bomb that resonated throughout the I-plex and obviously losing huge style points in the incident, Balaberda focused a death stare on the Bronco player.

There was zero intent from Stieler who has probably never even made eye contact with an official in his two seasons let alone shoot the puck at an one.

Linesman Balaberda appeared ready to throw down with Stieler when referee Devin Klein skated by to find out what the deal was. Balaberda was almost complaining to the referee for a penalty and then he got his wish. An unsportsmanlike conduct call was dished out and the fireworks began.

Balaberda needs to know his role. The league office has spoke with him in the past (so I'm told) yet he has this overwhelming on-ice arrogance that rubs teams the wrong way. He was constantly in both official's ears tonight after the play giving his two cents on players to watch and who's doing what. If you want to be a referee Kelly grab the orange arm bands and have at'er. I think I made my point clear on tonight's broadcast. The league will review the same tape complete with our commentary Thursday morning. I had that in mind as I fired away.

Why does the league keep assigning him to Bronco games? Tonight's incident could have been prevented on so many levels. Enough of the Kelly Balaberda show. Hopefully this is the final chapter.

------------

The incident covered up a lacklustre effort by the Broncos who were over powered by the Hurricanes tonight. Chynoweth showed more life and emotion in 20 seconds than the entire team over the course of the game.

The Hurricanes rode eight straight powerplays to score a pair and pad their lead to 4-0 late in the third period before the Broncos Matt Tassone ended the shutout bid by Michael Maniago with 13 seconds to play.

The Broncos still have a long way to go... and now they'll have to do it without their coach for the next few games.
Posted by Jon Keen at 9:56 PM