View Full Version : Switzers Blog

Scout
01-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Switzer's Blog
The online presence of radio personality Ryan Switzer
Thursday, January 03, 2008

A Hockey Post

Watt's the Deal?

The Regina Pat's sound like they're ready to hang a banner in the Brandt Center after getting JD Watt and Scott Doucet. I get the impression from listening to Pat's Radio that they're telling anyone who will listen they aren't done yet in the trade department either.

JD Watt was very undiscipined in Swift Current when the Rebels visted last. The Pat's want Watt to be a presence on ice and off...the kind of guy to motivate other players. Watt was a liability in Swift. If Red Deer coach and GM Brian Sutter (a former NHL coach of the year) couldn't get Watt to play with his head on straight, can Curtis Hunt and Brent Parker? We'll see. Players with morale issues don't seem to do well in Regina. Troy Ofukany comes to mind. Maybe it's just the very watchful eye of the Regina media that makes it seem that way too.

NOT MY FACE!!!

Kelly Balaberda gets to hear his name on the radio and see it on the forums again for the wrong reasons. The Enrique Iglesias-esque liney was the center of controversy when Bronco David Stieler flipped the puck up for the linesmen to catch and it hit him the face (not unlike the time Fabio took a stray goose in the kisser pictured above). Balaberda got buddy Devon Klein to call the Broncos for unsportsmanlike which prompted a Dean Chynoweth two water bottle toss. Deano will get fined and miss two games and Kelly Balaberda will get a big wrist slap. The WHL brass does NOT like officials making headlines. It's a headache they don't want. Has anyone else noticed that Chris Savage has kept his name off the forums for the most part this year? Balaberda's wingman Devon Klein may be in the hot seat too, to a lesser extent.

Mind you...the referee who once caused a Swift Current coach to take his clothes off is now the director of officiating...

Did Sheldon Dean make a call lastnight? The two man system really seems to just add extra bodies to a game that is already plugged up. Why do some games have two refs and some have one? At the end of the day are games any more enjoyable with two refs? This is entertainment after all? The only thing entertainling last night was Deans water bottle two seam fastball to the officials.

Last night's game was pretty bad, officiating not withstanding. Dean has made some VERY interesting deals at the deadline. I feel this year will be his most active.

I could be wrong.

R$