PDA

View Full Version : Miracle time

nivek_wahs
01-04-2008, 09:52 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=c1899604-c5ff-4175-b032-cc6150d5a8f1

Miracle time
Blades aren't ruling out late run for playoff spot

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, January 04, 2008

The Saskatoon Blades aren't ruling out a miracle on ice.

They're 14 points out of a Western Hockey League playoff spot, but they refuse to declare the Swift Current Broncos' lead insurmountable.

"We were 17 points out on Jan. 1 last year," Blades assistant coach David Struch said Thursday at Credit Union Centre.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****A colossal collapse by the Prince Albert Raiders helped Saskatoon get back in the hunt a year ago. The Blades closed the gap to two points, but fell out of contention after a 5-0 loss to Prince Albert in the second-last game of the regular season.

"As a coach, you always believe that you can climb that mountain and get to the top," said coach-GM Lorne Molleken, whose team hosts the Medicine Hat Tigers tonight (7:05 p.m., Credit Union Centre). "We believe in each kid in that room because the minute that we stop believing, it's a sunken ship. We cut nobody any slack. We hold each player accountable and they hold each other accountable."

In a past coaching life, Molleken helped the Moose Jaw Warriors overcome an 18-point deficit. The Tribe clinched a playoff spot on the final day of the 1988-89 regular season and then swept defending-champion Medicine Hat 3-0 in the first round.

Of course, such comebacks are easier said than done.

"We have to play .700 or .750 hockey and we need somebody to stumble." said Molleken.

The Blades (13-22-2-1) have two games in hand on the Broncos (19-17-0-5) and the teams have six more head-to-head matches, including a Saturday date in Swift Current.

"It's hockey and you never know what can happen," said Blades defenceman Sam Klassen. "If you get on a seven- or eight-game winning streak, you're right back in the chase.

"If we're going to make a playoff push, we have to string a few wins together and that's going to take hard work to get the ball rolling in the right direction."

The Blades' anemic offence has averaged barely two goals per game, and Saskatoon owns the league's second-worst road record (3-17-1-0). Still, Molleken continues to make like Tony Robbins and stress the power of positive thinking.

"With a group like ours, you have to reinforce the positives," said Molleken. "Trust me; we bring our older players in here and we talk to them about holding people accountable, but they also need to look in the mirror and see if they're laying it on the line."

Molleken expects to phase in rookie winger Kevin Philp tonight. The 6-foot-7

Victoria product last played Nov. 21 when he broke his jaw in a fight with Moose Jaw's Ryley Grantham.

"All of the little scrapes and bangs are all healed up and I'm ready to go," said Philp, who'll sport a full shield. "I've got lots of energy and I'm back in good shape. It might take a couple of shifts to adjust to the speed again, but I'll be ready to go."

BLADE BITS: Overage forward Ondrej Fiala (foot) is questionable for tonight's game. The Blades will be without LW Colton Gillies (Canada, world juniors) and D Stefan Elliott (under-17 Team Pacific). . . . The Tigers' line of Tyler Ennis, Brennan Bosch and Daine Todd is red-hot. They've combined for 19 points in their past two games. Bosch, a Martensville product, had four goals and an assist during the Tigers' 6-5 victory last Friday over Swift Current.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008

howley
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
So they are buyers not sellers?? Yikes.

eye4aneye
01-04-2008, 03:08 PM
If Moleken doesnt sell he is as bad as Clark......ok maybe not that bad but a bad decision
Oh come on Raiderfan17 there is optimistic and stupid. That was stupid for Molleken to say that, at least Clark doesn't make it a media hype for himself when the team is struggling...Then again Lorne does look good in those expensive suits.

Triton
01-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Haha they have to play .700 hockey or better, which isn't going to happen. You can't just snap your fingers and results happen. Basically Molleken needs to understand the talent isn't there to compete with the better teams in the division and the Conference.

sbtatter
01-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Haha they have to play .700 hockey or better, which isn't going to happen. You can't just snap your fingers and results happen. Basically Molleken needs to understand the talent isn't there to compete with the better teams in the division and the Conference. I hope they buy and don't sale b/c that'll wreck them for the next couple of years! I also hope they get the mem Cup in toontown, b/c then 2 dub teams can qualify again

maple leaf
01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Haha they have to play .700 hockey or better, which isn't going to happen. You can't just snap your fingers and results happen. Basically Molleken needs to understand the talent isn't there to compete with the better teams in the division and the Conference.

Well guys we are not going to make the playoffs, so let's take it easy backcheck if you want but you really don't need to, let's go out there and play around .250 hockey .300 would be better but thats up to you guy's, let's just go out there and put in the motions and not worry about the rest of the season I have given up on the season and as your coach I want you guys to give up to. Makes me wonder who is the bright one here Triton or Molleken.

wango tango
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
i don't see anything in this article that suggests the blades will be a buyer at the deadline. nothing. this is more about staying positive and believing to the very end, and why not it's the right attitude!

the article mentions the blades offense. goals against isn't the issue, goals for... that's another story. that's why i want molleken to go for offense, offense, offense at the deadline.

just because the blades are a seller doesn't mean the team stops pushing for the playoffs or to win. it speaks to a players and teams character. it may take a miracle, but in sports anything can, and does happen.

dagley
01-04-2008, 06:04 PM
I hope they buy and don't sale b/c that'll wreck them for the next couple of years! I also hope they get the mem Cup in toontown, b/c then 2 dub teams can qualify again

You do realize the Memorial Cup shifts league from league every year right? Therefor, a WHL team will again have the Memorial Cup in 2010, no matter what. At least I am pretty sure.