PDA

View Full Version : Archibald seeks career milestones

nivek_wahs
01-04-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=b194b13d-1a89-4198-b91a-cfc70117fb1a

Archibald seeks career milestones
Oil Kings goalie has never played -- or won -- this much in WHL
Cam Tait, The Edmonton Journal

Published: 1:35 am
WHL GAME TIME

REBELS at OIL KINGS
7 p.m.
Bruce Edwards, The Journal
Rexall Place
Media: Team 1260 Radio
- - -

EDMONTON - Alex Archibald of the Edmonton Oil Kings smiles when asked why he chose to be a goaltender.

"I was a terrible hockey player," he laughs. "When I was seven, I scored three goals in 160 games."

Archibald has had a lot more success stopping the puck.

The four-year Western Hockey League veteran will be seeking a career-high, single-season 11th victory tonight when the Red Deer Rebels visit Rexall Place.

Archibald has already fashioned 10 wins in 31 appearances with the Oil Kings this season, equalling his win total in 26 games with the Prince Albert Raiders during his rookie WHL season in 2004-05.

The six-foot-one netminder managed only six wins in 39 games with the Raiders in 2005-06 and eight wins with the expansion Chilliwack Bruins last season.

"I knew coming in I had a responsibility to share my experiences with the younger guys," said Archibald, who was happy to get selected by the Oil Kings in last summer's expansion draft.

"I really think if I would have stayed in Chilliwack, I would have ended up playing junior A this year ... there were just too many goalies in Chilliwack," said Archibald, who is one of four 20-year-old players on the Oil Kings roster.

Edmonton head coach Steve Pleau said Archibald's experience with an expansion team was a big selling point.

"That's why he's here -- because of his experience in Chilliwack," said Pleau. "Arch has a great work ethic. He's always on the ice for five or 10 minutes after practice is over. And he works hard off the ice, too, spending time in the weight room."

Archibald sports a 3.11 goals-against average and a .908 save percentage this season. With 1,756 minutes already in the bag, he is also about to surpass the career-high 1,780 minutes he played with the Bruins last year.

Born in a military family in Halifax, N.S., Archibald played his minor hockey in Winnipeg and Ottawa.

His father is currently a conductor of a military band in the nation's capital and organizes music for Remembrance Day ceremonies on Parliament Hill.

Meanwhile, some of the Oil Kings players are anxious about the WHL trade deadline next Thursday.

"There's some older guys who could be a little nervous (about being traded)," said Pleau. "But, on the other hand, they're the guys who have given us a lot and they certainly have character.

"And, I don't think we want to lose any character guys from the hockey club."

CASTLE CHATTER: Defenceman Matt Swaby is questionable for tonight's game after getting hit with the puck on his left foot Wednesday night ... The Oil Kings sent three players back to their midget AAA teams -- defenceman Mark Pysyk (Sherwood Park Kings) and defenceman Henrick Tervonen and forward Rhett Rachinski, both with the Southside Athletic Club of the Alberta Midget Hockey League ... The Oil Kings beat the Rebels 4-2 in their last meeting Dec. 29.

ctait@thejournal.canwest.com

© The Edmonton Journal 2008