PDA

View Full Version : Saskatoon 2 @ Swift Current 5

Big Ern
01-05-2008, 11:58 PM
"Well, that was better Ern."

That's what Broncos' interim head coach in Chynoweth's absence, Tim Kehler said to me after the game. I agree whole-heartedly...that was a lot better. Mr. Kehler should be congratulated, after getting the team to play to their potential when the second period rolled around, and eventually earning his first win as a head guy behind the bench.

The Broncos played extremely well for 40 minutes. The first 20 minutes were not pretty. Our team was really running around and getting nowhere, and although the Blades played good defense, I thought our guys could have done a way better job...number one on the transition, and number two on pressuring the puck. However, when the second period rolled around, that was all forgotten. Very quickly, our team started playing like they were in a playoff spot and Saskatoon wasn't. In two minutes, the big guns had a 3-0 lead on the board. Keegan Dansereau got the first goal on the PP. That was followed up by a goal from Dale Weise (who was completely DOMINANT in tonight's game) shortly thereafter. That feed to Weise was PERFECT from Matt Tassone and the two on one situation was extremely well utilized for the 2-0 lead at that point. The third goal by Smitty was kinda' bouncy but nevertheless it provided a 3-0 lead. From there, the Blades went on to score two unanswered, both on 5 on 3 PP's. But after that goal that drew the Blades within one, I thought our guys really locked things down for the remainder of the game. As a result, the Blades' Teegan Zahn took an interference penalty later in the third period, and David Steiler scored the clutch goal on the ensuing powerplay. That pretty much did away with the game, which of course ended 5-2 in the home team's favor.

Here's the bottom line: Complaints about the first period? Forget it. The Broncos need to get back on track in a hurry, and a win at home is a great start. Our top guys were REALLY good tonight. Starting with Travis Yonkman in goal, Erik Felde, Eric Doyle and Mike Wilson on defense, all the way out to Dale Weise, Zack Smith, Keegan Dansereau, Matt Tassone, and Levi Nelson on the forward unit. The top guys need to be the top guys.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

NOTES:

-I loved the crowd tonight! 2200 filed in the doors, and they provided an exceptional atmosphere for the guys. I called out our crowd on my last post, and I think that was a great response!

-I talked to Les Lazaruk, the voice of the Blades, and he implied, "Ern..there's one question you're shying away from on WHLFANS and not answering. Are the Broncos a buyer or a seller?"

First of all Les, thankyou for taking the time to read my posts on whlfans.ca! That's great motivation!

Secondly, being optimistic, I like to think we are a buyer. In my opinion, the Broncos shouldn't have to buy much. They have LOADS of talent throughout their roster. I believe most of the work has to be done in the dressing room, and not on the phones at this time. Maybe the Broncos are looking for that guy that would fine-tune their club...perhaps a defenseman right now with injuries to two prolific defensemen in R.J LaRochelle and Ryan Molle. But I think most of what we need is here already. We'll see on the 10th Les...should be VEEEERY interesting......

-here's why I think Dale Weise is not for sale at this trade deadline:

"Dale Weise is so powerful...he was totally dominant again tonight....huge hits all over the ice, intimidating guys around him every time he's out there, and scoring two goals. Dale got victimized by two penalties where he just simply over-powered the opponent."

Great description of the guy by Tim Kehler in the post-game show! I think Dale Weise can be relied upon every night right now.

-should be a doozy tomorrow night versus the Pats! They'll remember New Year's Day, on which the Broncos stole one out of the Brandt Centre. With a new look team and LOTS of trades, the Pats are seemingly making a big statement: Win, or bust. If our guys are on top of their game though, I think they have a great chance to beat Regina.

See you at the CUIP tomorrow!

Scout
01-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Last updated at 11:03 PM on 05/01/08

Second period flurry lifts Broncos over Blades

SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos scored a trio of goals 2:01 apart midway through the middle period before holding on for a 5-2 win over the visiting Saskatoon Blades on Saturday night.

After a scoreless opening period the Broncos broke open the game with a powerplay goal from Keegan Dansereau at the 7:36 mark of the second period, Dale Weise with his 19th of the season just 1:16 later, and Zack Smith with his 15th of the year just 45 seconds later.

Import forward David Stieler ended the Blades’ comeback attempt when he converted an Eric Doyle rebound for a powerplay marker with 4:16 remaining in the third period, and Dale Weise iced the game with an empty net goal.

Forward Matt Tassone also collected a trio of assists in the win.

Blades overage forward Chris Durand replied with a two-goal performance for Saskatoon, connecting for a pair of goals while on five-on-three powerplays.

Broncos goaltender Travis Yonkman collected his 16th win of the season while turning aside 28 of 30 shots. Blades netminder Braden Holtby stopped 35 of 39 shots in the loss.

Broncos 19-year-old forward Keegan Dansereau broke a six-game scoreless drought and added an assist in the win. Dansereau was happy to help his team pick up two valuable points.

“It was good, we needed them. We have been struggling here. I thought we came out and played a good game,” said Dansereau.

Dansereau admitted that it took a team effort to stake the Broncos to a 3-0 in the second period.

“I thought it started from our D-zone and just carried into our offensive game.”

Not far from the Broncos minds is the WHL trade deadline.

“It is always in your mind because you keep hearing about all these trades and whatnot,” said Dansereau. “But I think that it is going to be calm.”

The win also marked the first win at the helm of the Broncos for assistant coach Tim Kehler who stepped in while head coach Dean Chynoweth served the first game of a two-game suspension for his water bottle throwing incident against the Lethbridge Hurricanes on Wednesday.

The win improves Swift Current’s eighth place record in the Eastern Conference to 20-17-0-5, while Saskatoon falls to 13-24-2-1 and remains in 11th place in the Conference.

Sunday the Broncos will host the Regina Pats at 7 p.m. at the Credit Union iplex.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
01-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Ern, I couldn't agree with you more about Wiese. Don't know how he didn't figure in the 3 stars last night. I love watching him play. If a few others on the team could elevate their desire and passion to half of Wiese's level the Bronco's would be a lot better off. He seems to be the only guy on the team motivated to give it his all every night. The hit he laid on Elliot is one the youngster will remember for quite. awhile.
Having said all that, it is hard for me to get excited about beating the Blades. That should be expected. We will need a much bigger effort to take on the new look Pats tonight.

stick boy
01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I have not heard from anyone that thinks Weise is available right now.

I thought Claffey and McAvoy were very strong last night, they played well enough that we barely let our 16-year-olds touch the ice.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I have not heard from anyone that thinks Weise is available right now.

I thought Claffey and McAvoy were very strong last night, they played well enough that we barely let our 16-year-olds touch the ice.

You are correct. By my count Rogers got 4 shifts and Greyeyes 2. His 2nd at the end of the game when we were up 5-2. I think he had 8-9 shifts against Lethbridge.

Which brings me to ask"why is Rogers on the team". The coaching staff doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in him lately. He was getting more shifts early in the season. Instead of using him we send Felde, our most dynamic offensive threat, back to defense and sit Rogers. How is he suppose to develop riding the pine? I would think the reason you keep a 16 yr. old is because you believe he has the ability to play. If not let him develop somewhere else.