PDA

View Full Version : Regina 2 @ Swift Current 3 OT

Big Ern
01-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Well done.

Those two words pretty much sum up tonight's game and the weekend in general for the Broncos, who utilized their speed to earn the huge win tonight, and two wins on the weekend.

Can anyone's tires be pumped in particular? Not really, because from my point of view, the entire team pitched in tonight. I suppose you would have to mention David Steiler and his two goals...he was fantastic. He proved what can happen when the puck is fired on goal in any situation. That game winner was a great goal by him....he was money around the net tonight. He also got the game's third goal...that one was kinda' "easy does it," but a goal is a goal. Also, a credit to Levi Nelson, who scored the game's first goal. What is it with Levi and Rowatt? One on one, Levi totally has Rowatt's number. He goes with the deadly wrister when he gets in alone, and nine out of ten times it seems Linda doesn't have the answer. haha

Tonight's game, again, is what you would call a team effort. The speedy guys were speedy...our best defensive guys were very defensive, and the patience was there as well. The Pats may think Andy Thiessen is crazy, but he surely is not.....the Broncos' speed drew all the penalties on Regina tonight, as the Pats at times just could not keep up. Maybe they were missing a few guys, but that situation is no different for Swift Current, who were still missing LaRochelle, Molle, and Eakin. So again....a good effort by the whole group, and congrats to Coach Kehler on his two and zero record as interim head coach.

NOTES:

-Levi Nelson played well tonight. I ripped him to shreds in the game recap after the Broncos played Lethbridge. I really went overboard with that one, as that night our whole team played awful...really. So in the last two games, Levi has bounced back and proved me wrong again. I really like to see that.

-after two big wins this weekend, the trade deadline has fallen to the sidelines...at least in my book. As I stated in a previous post, I truly believe the Broncos have most of the elements they need to be a competitor. The work needs to be done inside the dressing room.

-Rod Pedersen implied on his broadcast that Dale Weise speared twice in tonight's game, and never got called for it. Anyone see that? I saw that Dale Weise was competitive and dominant as usual. I guess Roddy sees things that I miss. lol

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

SIDENOTE: This is completely off-topic, but I would like to shout out to the Leavold family in B.C. who always read these post-game recaps. In particular, Mrs. Leavold, who had some really nice words on the phone a few weeks ago. I look forward to seeing our scout, Brian Leavold here in town when the Rockets come in later this month, and also Brady, who's really getting the points up in Kelowna.

ointhecreek
01-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Pederson always finds something to whine about when his precious pattys lose. I know Keeners a bit of a homer, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone worse then Roddy. He never tells the whole story. Wiese got speared twice in front of Rowat. Also Tuebert was always the third man in in any scuffle.
Good all round game by the Broncos tonight, very enjoyable and exciting game to watch. Still think we need another defensive defensman on the back end, maybe free up the forwards to run and gun a bit more.

CrazyGeorge
01-07-2008, 01:07 AM
I'd say two stay at home defensemen and one more powerforward and if we can afford it another scorer....wishful thinking but we'll see what Dean has up his sleeves come deadline. Definite help on the back end...whom ever that may be

dtnewbie_bronco
01-07-2008, 01:20 AM
looks like our boys are getting back on track!! now only if we can add a little character to our line up? How about a guy like Garret Hunt? or even Greg Scott in seattle?

Broncs in RD
01-07-2008, 04:06 AM
My picks would be Wishart and either Crowley, Olson, Harty for Dmen.
Forwards would be Tyrell, Sutter, Figren, Holloway.

It would be great to get
Sutter Weiss Wudrick
Smith Felde Dans
Tyrell Nelson/Tassone Eakin
Steiler Dalecky Holloway

Wishart Crowley
Doyle Wilson
McAvoy Claffey/Olson/Harty

Then I woke up and we proberally won't get 1 of these guys. I still think we should have got Ellerby and McLaren

Scout
01-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Last updated at 10:19 PM on 06/01/08

Stieler leads Bronco to overtime win
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

Swift Current Broncos import forward David Stieler scored the overtime winner with 53 seconds left in the extra session to lift the Broncos to a 3-2 win over the visiting Regina Pats on Sunday night at the Credit Union iplex.

In front of 1,777 fans Stieler had a hand in all three Swift Current goals, assisting on the game’s opening goal by Levi Nelson and scoring on a five-on-three powerplay 59 seconds into the third period.

The second year European import now has 14 goals on the season, one more than during his WHL debut campaign last year.

The Broncos won for the second straight game without Head Coach / General Manager Dean Chynoweth who served his second game of a two game suspension for his water bottle throwing incident on Jan. 2nd.

Nelson notched his 15th goal of the season when he collected a lose puck in the slot after an aborted Broncos three-on-two and fired it top corner past Linder Rowat.

Regina had forced overtime when Matt Strueby scored midway through the final period. The Pats also had a goal from Garrett Mitchell.

Swift Current goaltender Travis Yonkman turned aside 17 of 19 shots in the win.

Regina netminder Linden Rowat took the overtime loss despite stopping 31 of 34 shots.

Broncos 18-year-old defenseman Eric Doyle described what it was like to see Stieler end the game in overtime only moments after Scott Doucet nearly ended it with a shot off the post at the other end.

“It was definitely a great feeling. It was a good game and I think that we deserved that win and it was a good play by David at the end to get it for us.”

Doyle agreed that the Broncos came out with an inspired effort tonight.

“I thought that we were moving our feet well, just making the right plays at the lines and gaining the zone. We were simple tonight and got a lot of shots and it paid off.”

For the Broncos a win over the Pats is always a little sweeter after Regina knocked the them out of the playoffs last season.

“Yeah definitely, there is a little bit of a rivalry going on and it will be like that all season,” said Doyle. “They have played us hard every game and we expect them to play that same game every time.”

Doyle and his teammates also have a close eye on the Eastern Conference standings these days.

“Obviously it is a pretty tight race right now in the East. We have Moose Jaw two points ahead of us before this game. We have a chance to catch some teams if we can string together a few wins here.”

Swift Current, who have earned overtime wins over Regina in their last two contests, improve their record to 21-17-0-5 and remain eighth in the Eastern Conference. Regina, who hold a one point lead over Brandon for top spot in the East Division standings, fall to 25-15-3-1.

Flathead
01-07-2008, 07:42 AM
the game was pretty dominated by the Broncos and the Pats had zero business being in ot with us. Unfortunately we missed a few open nets and Rowat made some great saves, with out him Regina would have been done a lot earlier last night. Great job guys!
All guys played great, but I would like to give some recognition to Justin Dowling even though he wasn't rewarded with any points on the weekend, I thought he played great. He had some glorious chances, set up guys, was hard on the puck, threw some good hits and all in all just played hard every night. Keep up the good work.

Toswammi
01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I'd say two stay at home defensemen and one more powerforward and if we can afford it another scorer....wishful thinking but we'll see what Dean has up his sleeves come deadline. Definite help on the back end...whom ever that may be

I wouldnt expect anything big; maybe a couple of depth d-men at the best.

However that was one wicked game, god i love it when we beat the pats

Believer
01-07-2008, 09:41 AM
it will be interesting to see how the Broncos hold up to the Pats when the team is all back together and have a chance to play together. My bet is still on the Pats, sorry guys. Just too bad that the Broncos couldn't play more games like this with the top teams. Frustrating.

Big Ern
01-07-2008, 10:04 AM
it will be interesting to see how the Broncos hold up to the Pats when the team is all back together and have a chance to play together. My bet is still on the Pats, sorry guys. Just too bad that the Broncos couldn't play more games like this with the top teams. Frustrating.

I like the Pats' team with the trades they've made, but they have one major enemy. They are INCREDIBLY slow. It takes them forever to set up, and they don't have that guy that can turn the defense inside out. That's probably what will keep them from going past two rounds.