PDA

View Full Version : Jan 6 2008 Giants 8 Blazers 1

dondo
01-07-2008, 12:54 AM
It's rare that I miss a home game when I am in town, but it could not be helped. So yet another recap from listening to a bit of the broadcast and looking at the box score. Feel free to tell me what really happened.

I expect the Blazers to be a better squad once they get a chance to practice with the new players. I expect that they weren't on the same page at all tonight (or last night for that matter)and Bill Wilms was commenting on how they were reacting instead of acting in their own zone and I suppose that unfamiliarity could do that.

Giants Stomp Blazers 8 - 1 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/January_6_GiantsbkStompbkBlazers_183.html)

Giants Stomp Blazers
Vancouver 8 Kamloops 1

Don Robinson

The Vancouver Giants won their third in three nights in a very convincing fashion beating up on the new-look Blazers. Kamloops edged them out in their own barn a few games back, but have since gone the re-build route trading away veterans in favour of some young up-and-comers and picks in this years bantam draft. Tonight it showed. The Giants scored four unanswered goals in the first and three in the second before the Kamloops squad were able to put one past Tyson Sexsmith on their 15th shot of the game. The home team added one more in the third. Justin Leclerc was pulled after the first period and replaced by James Priestner who allowed three goals in the second, but it could have been an even more lop-sided victory had he not stood on his head in the third. Craig Cunningham scored two goals and Craig Schira had three helpers and was a +4 on the night. The rest of the goals and assists were evenly distributed throughout the line-up as even the much maligned d-man Justin Palazzo managed to bulge the twine.

The Vancouver squad played pretty much textbook hockey, avoiding penalty trouble while keeping shots on their net low. They notched one PP goal on the night, but ended up at around 33% on the man-advantage as they had a mere three PP opportunities and only gave up one. Mario Bliznak opened the scoring at 7:05 of the first. Cunningham added his first of the night about two minutes later. James Wright was next to tickle the twine, followed by Evander Kane who added an assist to his point total tonight as well. The Giants took their only penalty of the game early in the second, on which Kamloops failed to capitalise. The scoring continued five minutes into the middle frame as CPZ notched a PP goal and then the very next shift Cunningham tallied his second of the game. Spencer Machacek padded that lead a few minutes later, but the Blazers were able to ruin Sexsmith’s shut-out with a goal by Mark Hall. Palazzo put on the exclamation mark late in the third giving the Giants an overwhelming victory. Seven Vancouver players had multi-point nights as the team tuned themselves up for their tour of the Eastern Division next week. The Giants now sit atop of the dub, tied with the Hitmen at 63 points, but the G-Men have three games in hand playing 42 to Calgary’s 45 games.

The Giants out shot the Blazers 46-20 and went 1 for 3 on the PP, holding their opponents to 0 for 1 on a night. I am not sure if the game was that clean or Zalaski simply slipped his whistle in his pocket and didn’t pull it out again for the majority of the contest. I suspect a little of both and frankly I have been pleasantly surprised with the games that Zalaski has called this season (especially alone) for they have been a far cry from the whistle-fests and the late soft calls (just because) which were his M.O. in the past. The Giants get a few days off before heading out on the road for six straight games, visiting all the teams in the Eastern Division. The puck will drop in Regina on Friday the 11th at 7pm local time, where the G-Men will face former Giants Tim Kraus and JD Watt who was recently acquired by the Pats from the Red Deer Rebels.

Three Stars

1. Craig Cunningham
2. Chris Cloud
3. Evander Kane