PDA

View Full Version : How Far Can We Go

Scout
01-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Really what should Dean do? You look at the teams in the CHL this year and what percent of a chance do we really have to go to the cup. We will be hard pressed to get out of our division with the power Regina now has and the play of Brandon. We have Calgary in the central. Then out West we have Spokane and Tri City who are all powerhouses. In the OHL Kitchner will be hard to stop. So do we trade away our up and coming talent to go as far as we can in the play-offs and try to land a Wishart type player for this year?Will it hurt us in the future? Sure it will and then we have to rebuild again. I have alot of respect for the players we have now. Lots of speed and some good offence. Where we are hurting right now is on D. Do we limp through the season on what we have? I am totally confused on what we should do. I think Dean knows we will be hard pressed to get out of the WHL with the talent within this division. So should he trade away our older players and land some top notch kids who can help in the future? Don't know but i'm sure he is having some sleepless nights on whether to go for it and hope for the best and go deep in the playoffs to still not reach the ultimate goal of a banner or sit pat and have this year as a write off. I know i never expected Brandon to be where they are or Regina to almost trade their entire team and make a go for it. Regina never really gave up much of their future for the players they received. They along with Calgary, Spokane and Tri City will be teams that will be hard to get past come play-off time. Alot of trades by us will hurt us in the future but on the other hand because we are a small market we will need all the play-off money we can get. Wishart is still out there but it sounds like they want alot in return. Glad i'm not making the call on this.

Scout

Offsider
01-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I think with what is in the league for teams this year .most fans would and could see this team with some help on the D make the seconded round and maybe ruin someone’s third round appearance . I hear the return of Cody could come Tuesday against the Raiders if true that will give the team some more punch He will have to find a spot ,Because Boy the last three games Matt and David and Jon steeped up with hard work good job guys lots off second effort . All four lines played very well

I will be a happy Bronco fan 5 games into the second round from there you never know what can happen

Believer
01-07-2008, 12:47 PM
All I say is DO SOMETHING ! all we talk about is "don't trade away our future, don't trade away our future". The problem i keep having is when is this "future" we speak of? hmmm? 1 year from now, 2 years? 3? can ANYONE say when we are gonig to be the next top contender? really. We have a lot of "potential" talent, but we've had that before. Looks like Leavold is doing pretty good in the new jersey. We have "good" goaltending, not great, we have good goal scorers, not great, we HAD good defense, not great. Until Eakin, or some of the other young guns get up there, which they are supposed to, it's just wait wait wait. I may be talkin outta my butt here but it just my thought.

All that REALLY would need to be down with the team that is in place right now is to have support from ALL sides, fans, coaches, mgt, and staff. They do have talent but what make ANY player not want to play? REally, it's in a guys blood to play hard and try to win, so if they are not wanting to play for the coaches (and i'm not saying that, I just read it on here) then DO something about it. Maybe time for a little circle prayer or team (including coaches) bonding or something.

transplantedbronco
01-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Solid points being made here thats for sure. Thought it was time to give my two cents worth. I feel he have some very talented players. The sad part is we dont have talented systems in place for these guys. Our systems stay the same no matter the talent. I know just harping on the coach again. Well yes. We are in year 4 of a "5 YEAR PLAN" problem is we have 7 19 year olds this year. We will be losing some solid players. Here is the thing though. Year 4 now and what is the only thing the has been consistent? Players? no they change from year to year so cant keep blaming them and the team woes. Dean has been consistent in my eyes. Same coach same problem but the year changes. I am getting tired of it. The management and the board of this hockey club are alwayts putting the onis on the fans. We have to buy this come to this...and the majority of us die hards do that. But when does the people running this team take some of the resposibility? Same product on the ice and again its coming down to the fans not supporting the club. Im sorry but that just doesnt seem right to me. Just like one of the other posters said we should not be happy with mediocrity.

ps. For the players who read this please dont think that I blame you for anything cause I dont. You are an anwsome bunch of men and I think you deserve to be successful and I will still be there to support each and every one of you.

Speedy Broncs
01-07-2008, 03:28 PM
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have traded 19 year old D Ty Wishart, 19 year old F Evan Fuller, and a 2008 3rd Round Bantam selection to the Moose Jaw Warriors in exchange for 16 year old C Justin Maylan, 18 year old RW Brad Riege (“Ree-jh”), and a 2008 1st Round Bantam selection

WOW - quite alot to give up for Wishart!
Great player, but is it worth it for MJ?

Scout
01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Now what. Moose Jaw just traded to counter Regina's trade. These two teams seem to be going for it. Now with the moves they made look for Brandon to make a move. These are the three teams that are in the upper class right now. I don't see Calgary being done yet either. They have a Euro spot open to go after a top notch Euro. If the deal can be made they will land a Euro goal scorer and will be looking to solidify their goaltending. So what do the rest of the teams do that have fallen behind. I can see Saskatoon making moves and unloading some of their top vets if the price is right. They will have a hard time catching anybody now with the improvements made. And Prince Albert the same. So what about the Broncos? Have we sat to long? There are still lots of good D-men available and forwards being dangled as trade bait but i think with the moves by Regina and Moose Jaw the price of these players went way up. Any other teams that were in the battle in the East now have to make a decision. Do you pay the higher price to try and stay up with Regina and Moose Jaw and trade away the future or do you let them go at it and benefit down the road when these trades hurt them in the draft picks and younger players they gave up or do we join the weaker teams and have a fire sale and unload our top players to the highest bidders and stock up on youth. Dean must have bags under his eyes from lack of sleep and with the move Moose Jaw made today he better get some Pepto Bismal.

Scout

Believer
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
sit back..do nothing....work with what you have...build for the future...build for the future...build for the future. haha. didn't Moose Jaw have a pretty darn good run a couple of years back? now they look to have another good shot at some sort of run this year? Who says they keep giving up THIER future for the now? I'd take their last 3 years over ours.

Toswammi
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Well if you are consistent with trading picks and prospects for quality players to help you now year after year, you should always have a decent team. Or so the logic says

wardog fan
01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
well like i have always said, everyone so easy to knock chad lang for his trades, but you know what you nailed it right on the nose. the guy year in and year out has put a competitive team on the ice. as a small market team its all about scouting and draft picks and making the right moves. we are never going to win over college plqayers like the bigger markets. and i wouldnt trade the past 3 years for nothing. congrats to you lang for what you do. your a class act in my books and for our community.. what he did last year was amazing, i like to see any other gm do what lang did for robinson's family and the rest of the players . and to go a year later and we are right back in the thick of things. its a bussiness and he is doing a great job with the assests he has.. well done lang, now please convince this team to win and not let the name sayers come out and bash the team for going for it and not going deep into the playoffs... win or lose i like what he did , he has balls and made the statement and now its up to the 20 players who play the game.....