PDA

View Full Version : Robin Figren

MidgetAAA
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Has been traded to the pats i am hearing, not sure what regina gave up for him.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
The newpapers have reported that the pats have indeed dealt for him, but the oil kings are waiting for Robin to return from the World Jrs for the final say. The trade is supposedly close to being made official, but it could still not happen. The odds of that arent high, but you never know. Trades have fallen through at the last second before, though I hope that isnt the case.

This has been a fairly common rumor since the day of the Ross Trade. The rumored package going back is a middle-tier prospect (heard G Damien Ketlo ), and a middle pick.

There is a possibility that another player could be involved in the trade as well.

smkdwn
01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Figren is a healthy scratch tonight if that means anything.

hobster
01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Something too do with a equitment problem is what i heard but that just seems like a cover up

luv_the_pats
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I was listening to the Edmonton Oil Kings pre-game show, and they said that Figren was a healthy scratch, they are letting him rest after his long trip back from the juniors and he will be in the line up this weekend.

smkdwn
01-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I was listening to the Edmonton Oil Kings pre-game show, and they said that Figren was a healthy scratch, they are letting him rest after his long trip back from the juniors and he will be in the line up this weekend.
That is nothing more than a coverup. They didn't even mention anything at all of him being involved in trade talks.

Fight Guy
01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
This close to deadline day, you would almost assume that they are just keeping it quiet. But, it isn't a done deal yet...as far as we know.

patsfan33
01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
the suspence is KILLING me!!!!!!!!!

Big Ern
01-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I listened to the Oil Kings' post-game show with A.J. Beckanec (could be wrong spelling on that last name) and he stated that Figren is "excited to return to the Kings' line-up this weekend to help continue their hunt for a playoff spot, and has emphasized that he wants to finish his WHL career in Edmonton."

Strange. A few days ago, it sounded like the deal was done already.

Has it maybe changed??

Fight Guy
01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Hmmm...that's interesting. Makes ya wonder.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-09-2008, 02:02 AM
I listened to the Oil Kings' post-game show with A.J. Beckanec (could be wrong spelling on that last name) and he stated that Figren is "excited to return to the Kings' line-up this weekend to help continue their hunt for a playoff spot, and has emphasized that he wants to finish his WHL career in Edmonton."

Strange. A few days ago, it sounded like the deal was done already.

Has it maybe changed??

Well, you dont expect him to say "I cant wait to get out of edmonton, and play for a contender" or something like that. This trade has not been made official yet, so he will talk about how he wants to help the team - that presently holds his rights - succeed. It is likely his agent told him to not mention anything about the rumors, unless asked... which is the smart thing to do.

For example, I remember before the pats got bender, that some articles reported that he apparently requested to be traded - specifically - to Regina. Bender had then denied that such rumors existed, and that he wanted to stay in Kamloops, and was dedicated to helping the blazers succeed and such. But then, he gets traded to the pats. Maybe something similar might happen in this situation.

Alot of players dont like to be traded, but I am pretty sure that if the Oil Kings management can get something that can help them for next year and on, in exchange for a skilled, one year player that wont necessarily guarentee the achievement of their post season goals... I am certain that Edmonton would go along with it. Because even if they do make the playoffs, what are the chances they make it past the first round, nevermind win? Particularily in a very competitive conference. 3 teams have laid it all on the line, and 2 others will most likely beef up a bit as well. You also got BDN and MH who are young but still formidable opponents. Getting in there is going to be hard to EDM, with or without figren.

In other words, The Oil Kings are probably going to be looking for a way to improve their long-term goals over their short-term goals, or over maintaining tradable assets for a team that is slightly more competitive down the stretch. Because, frankly, it isnt really worth it.

Some people might say it is a different situation, because this is an expansion team... but look at the trades that Chilliwack made last year. They traded Stoesz to the pats for a prospect, and they also traded 20 year old Lenoski for then 18 year old McCue. Not particularily big pieces for contenders, but obviously selling some of their current assets for future needs. The Oil Kings will probably have the same attitude about trading their older players for future, even if they have not been really active in trading so far.

I think that the odds of Figren being a pat after the deadline are still fairly high, even though it is strange how public this rumor has become. It seems that everything points towards getting a skilled euro from a currently non playoff team... or getting Figren from EDM.

Even if he doesnt come over, we will likely then have a new impact forward (most likely euro) in the lineup by the 10th, whether it is Figren or not. The pats are not done, and it should be interesting, and exciting to see what the team looks like on the 10th.

Fight Guy
01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/default.aspx

Slap Shots with Greg Harder

D-day for Figren, May-day for Canes

Robin Figren apparently isn't sold on the Regina Pats.
Regina had a tentative agreement with the Edmonton Oil Kings to acquire Figren, but the Swedish sniper is reportedly unsure of whether he wants to join the Pats. Rumours of Edmonton upping the price appear to be unfounded. However, Figren does require some convincing to accept the deal.
The trade may still happen prior to Thursday’s deadline, or it may not.
It’s hard to imagine a player turning up his nose at a team that’s loading up for a run at the WHL title, but he obviously has his reasons. Maybe he’s holding out hope that his former team, the Calgary Hitmen, will land him if the Pats don’t. Calgary has room for a second import and is also believed to be looking at LW Ondrej Fiala of the Saskatoon Blades.
Figren returned to Edmonton late Monday night after helping Sweden win a silver medal at the world juniors. If he continues to balk, Regina will have to explore other options. With the other moves being made in the Eastern Conference, it’s more clear than ever that the Pats need to add a top-end scorer to their lineup if they hope to hold off the likes of the Moose Jaw Warriors and take a run at the Calgary Hitmen.
However, many of the alternatives aren’t as appealing as Figren.
If he does relent, Figren would likely be in the lineup Friday night against the Vancouver Giants. The Pats are also hoping newly acquired D Victor Bartley (groin) will be healthy enough to play Friday, but they won’t know until he arrives.
Bartley was slated to be in Regina by Wednesday afternoon.
The Pats will have RW J.D. Watt, a former Giant, in the lineup. The WHL elected against giving him more than a one-game suspension for his elbow on Lethbridge Hurricanes D-man Mitch Versteeg.
Watt sat out Sunday’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Swift Current Broncos and is clear to return against his old team.
That should be interesting.

nivek_wahs
01-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I guess this thread is all for nothing. It was interesting while the talk lasted.

JDubb
01-11-2008, 10:47 PM
So on the post game tonight, Ripplinger said that the deal was basically done and they talked to Figren and he didn't want to come to Regina, so they cancelled the trade.

We don't need guys that don't want to be here, so I say good that it didn't happen, but some guys at such a young age think they can control where and what they do.

DePape will obviously not be the scorer that Figren would have been, but I was impressed with his desire to get in front of the net tonight. Dedication and this Pats team will be tough to beat. Here is hoping.

Fight Guy
01-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I've already noticed that without those particular players (who are no longer Pats now) who liked to slack off, the Pats have a better work ethic and play their asses off. With the exception of Jagow...I wish he were still here. DePape played good though, and liked what he did with his minimal practice time with a new team.

Also is very nice NOT seeing Valach on our blue line! Sure he has a hell of a shot...but without control of it, and not being very mobile, just didn't really fit in.

And the Figren thing...same as Hanzal. Where do these kids get off picking where they get to play? Whatever though. He doesn't want to play here, so he isn't here, where for that reason, he is no longer wanted. Bit of a different situation than Hanzal, but same idea.

hounddog
01-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Not a very smart move on Figren's part. It doesn't show his bio like all the other player's that may have been drafted. Has he been drafted. Edmonton looks like they are going no where in the standings. Especially after last night's game we showed we are a team that is strong , skilled and could compete to go all the way. Would you rather be noticed by the scouts for future potential on a team that will make the playoffs or one who probably will not. Bad advice from his agent. But your are right if he did not want to be here we don't want him.

witness
01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
You hit the key Hounddog, it is not necessarily the kids, but the Agents. The Pats organization has a bit of ground to make up with the European Agents. They have a reputation of not having the patience to let the younger kids develop. It is quite an adjustment for many of these kids. High quality Europeans will be harder to attract if Russia decides to run their own junior league. This will attract the Russians, Sloviaks, and Chechs.
But, lets not worry about what we didn't get. Watt, Douchet, and Bender can't wipe the smile from their faces. They are absolutely delighted to be here and playing on a contender. DePape, Jackson, and Bartley also seem to be happy. I can remember when the Pats were the team that everybody wanted to be traded from.

sbtatter
01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
You hit the key Hounddog, it is not necessarily the kids, but the Agents. The Pats organization has a bit of ground to make up with the European Agents. They have a reputation of not having the patience to let the younger kids develop. It is quite an adjustment for many of these kids. High quality Europeans will be harder to attract if Russia decides to run their own junior league. This will attract the Russians, Sloviaks, and Chechs.
But, lets not worry about what we didn't get. Watt, Douchet, and Bender can't wipe the smile from their faces. They are absolutely delighted to be here and playing on a contender. DePape, Jackson, and Bartley also seem to be happy. I can remember when the Pats were the team that everybody wanted to be traded from.
I think you're better off without him...