PDA

View Full Version : Raiders win game one

Sabes
03-24-2005, 08:54 AM
Good game by the Raiders last night. They played very good defence and barely let Saskatoon into our zone. Colliton and Depape with the goals and both deserved them as they both played great. Beauchemin was very solid in net making some very key saves off of Keller and Bahensky, and he almost saved the goal by Waschuk. The only thing that went well for the Blades is that Cyr had a decent game.

mat01800
03-24-2005, 12:16 PM
That was one of the worst games I have seen the blades play this year. They where flat right from the get go

Furback
03-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Raiders pressured saskatoons d and they didnt have a awnser. plus the blades do not go to the net well they try to use there speed to the outside. they were not willing to pay the price it takes to win playoff hockey. I thought Haw and Flatt were the Raiders best players lol

mat01800
03-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Raiders pressured saskatoons d and they didnt have a awnser. plus the blades do not go to the net well they try to use there speed to the outside. they were not willing to pay the price it takes to win playoff hockey. I thought Haw and Flatt were the Raiders best players lol

How the hell do you know they do not go to the net well. I have been to basically all there home games and with them being the top PIM team I believe in the league. I am sure they are not to worried about going to the net and paying this price that you keep talking about that the raiders have somehow :confused:

Furback
03-24-2005, 07:04 PM
hey they have not every time ive seen them dont get mad im not trying to upset you im just being honest. If there not worried about it they better start cause if they dont its over in 4.

Lefty
03-24-2005, 07:06 PM
One game complete...
Congrats to Prince Albert on the win. They outworked and outplayed the Blades and deserved the win. If they can play like that the rest of the series they have a very good chance at knocking off the Blades, who cannot play like they did last game.

Usually the Blades play better after they lose, which is what they have to do in Prince Albert on Saturday. If they can't pull out a win in PA, then they will be in a lot of trouble.

Knuckle Chucker
03-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Usually the Blades play better after they lose, which is what they have to do in Prince Albert on Saturday. If they can't pull out a win in PA, then they will be in a lot of trouble.

I agree. Look for the Blades to come out flying BUT watch for Reggie to stand on his head. Once things settle down the Raiders will play the forecheck and pressure the Blades D.

A huge factor will be the crowd. The ice will seem even smaller as the Art Hauser will be packed to the rafters. Lets face it...this fits the Raiders style of play and they will feed off of the crowd

Billy Blade
03-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Decent assessments overall. Rabbit scored the goal for the Blades though, and a very nice tic-tac-toe it was. Cyr played alright for the Blades, but I thought he should have had Colliton's goal, it looked like a lack on concentration on his part unless I missed something.

I don't particularly like the Raiders' trapping style, but they do have a good forecheck and obviously know that is the weakness of the Blades defence so I give them credit for that. Furback, you're bang on with the Blades not paying the price in the first game. The shots on goal were not a great indicator for me as the Raiders shot from everywhere, the Blades passed up many opportunities for shots trying to be too fancy instead of just getting the puck on net and going after rebounds (aka paying the price :) )

Raiders won game 1 and deserved to. It'll be fun to see what happens in game 2 and hopefully this series will be a good long battle.

Knuckle Chucker
03-25-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't particularly like the Raiders' trapping style,

Actually they don't trap unless protecting a lead. They do press the Blades D with a massive forcheck as they feel the only Blade D-man that can handle it is Green. They are willing to risk the long pass connecting.

Lefty
03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Actually they don't trap unless protecting a lead. They do press the Blades D with a massive forcheck as they feel the only Blade D-man that can handle it is Green. They are willing to risk the long pass connecting.

I agree that it isn't really a trap. I've noticed that the Raiders ice the puck a lot. I'm sure they iced the puck more than 10 times in the 3rd period alone. It was definitely an effective way to frustrate the Blades and protect the lead.

Billy Blade
03-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Every time I have seen the Raiders play they sit back in a quasi-trap formation, either chipping the puck into the opposing zone and sitting back with all five men clogging up the ice waiting for the team to try and break out or they send one or two forecheckers in while the defensemen hold the centre line and a winger locks the passing lane. Not to mention the endless icings and high chips out of the zone. I've just never been a fan of that style but with the right personnel, it can work. Especially with a good goaltender who doesn't need a lot of shots to be effective. It's a good style to play on the road, frustrate the home team and their fans and choke the enthusiasm. Just my opinion, that's all.

grumphy
03-25-2005, 03:34 PM
They use that same chip & ice style against the Tigers as well, can't say I like it, but for them it sure is effective and very successful. Hell of a good way to play on the road where you don't need to impress anyone just win.

westbeach55
03-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I was at the game in Saskatoon on wednesday im a raider fan, it was really dissapointing the saskatoon fans didnt even cheer all game maybe once when rabbit scored. we had at least 6 packed bus's there from pa and cheered loud all game. Saskatoon wonders why they lost. It was like a home game for prince albert that night

Billy Blade
03-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, it truly almost was with all the times the Raiders would distract the ref by yapping at him after he already signalled last change and then the Raiders would sneak in another change. :laugh:

I didn't find either team's fans to be overly loud until a goal was scored. It was hardly a home game for the Raiders. :rolleyes: