PDA

View Full Version : NHL Draft Cancelled

Beaner
03-24-2005, 10:21 AM
from, www.tsn.ca

Crosby must wait: NHL draft cancelled

TSN.ca Staff with NHL files

3/24/2005

NEW YORK - Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule and hundreds of other future NHL prospects will have to wait a while longer for their names to be called out.

The National Hockey League announced Thursday that all events surrounding June's NHL entry draft in Ottawa are officially cancelled. The NHL has said repeatedly it would not hold an entry draft unless it had a new collective bargaining agreement in place with the NHL Players' Association.

"In the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement, we are not able to conduct an Entry Draft in the traditional sense on the dates scheduled," said NHL Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer Bill Daly.

"We apologize to the fans who had planned to attend this great event or participate in Draft parties both at their local NHL arenas and elsewhere. We apologize, as well, to the City of Ottawa, to the entire National Capital Region, and to everyone who already had put so much time and effort into creating a memorable weekend for the players and their families."

The cancellation of the draft was necessary because Ottawa-area hotels had to have advance confirmation of rooms that would have been booked for the hundreds of draft hopefuls and their families.

An entry draft will eventually take place once a collective bargaining agreement is in place with the players' union. It would likely be done by conference call rather than at a staged event.

No determination has been made as to when Ottawa will host an NHL Entry Draft, although the League is committed to bringing an Entry Draft to Ottawa as early as 2008.

"The city of Ottawa, Senators hockey fans and our corporate partners all were looking forward to showing the hockey world, and our future NHL stars, that 'Hockey Country' would have put on one of the best NHL Entry Drafts this June," said Roy Mlakar, president and chief executive officer of the Ottawa Senators and Corel Centre.

"We're sorry that our faithful hockey community will not be able to share their enthusiasm this year, but we have shown our commitment to the NHL that the Ottawa Senators are looking forward to bringing the Entry Draft to the National Capital Region as soon as possible."

The Entry Draft in Ottawa was supposed to be the coming out party for Crosby, who was a sure bet to go first-overall. Crosby won his second straight QMJHL scoring title with 66 goals and 102 assists this season.

Commissioner Gary Bettman made two new salary cap proposals last Thursday, but Players Association executive director Bob Goodenow said they were very similar to ones that were previously rejected by the union.

Tipped Off
03-24-2005, 10:35 AM
You keep reading in the papers that Crosby would consider playing in the WHA if the situation is right. Th eNHL is making that situation more and more possible for him. All though I don;t see the WHA as a long-term possibility, I could see it delaying Crosby's entrance to the NHL...much like the USFL did for players in football.

ScottyWazz
03-24-2005, 02:15 PM
This should come as no surprise. Without a collective bargaining agreement they can't have a Draft anyway. Plus, they needed to alert the local merchants and hotels that no one would be booking rooms so they could start unblocking off they alottment needed.

As for Crosby to the WHA, I don't think it'll happen. Mainly because it seems that this is still hastely being thrown together. I'm sure his agents are looking into how successful the league will be and how it'll further his hockey career. If it's not worth the time of day, they won't even tease the idea of playing.

rinkrat
03-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Crosby will likely end up next year in the AHL,playing with the Chicago Wolves or Toronto Marlies.Both teams have deep pockets and Cindy has progressed beyond the CHL level.

Furback
03-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Rimouski will fight it cause there is a chl contract stating the only other place an 18 year old can play other than junior is the nhl.

Beaner
03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Rimouski will fight it cause there is a chl contract stating the only other place an 18 year old can play other than junior is the nhl.

Yes, I believe Rimouski has already stated this, I just can't find the article it was in. It was after the Agent for Crosby was suggesting that he may send Sid to Europe next year if the NHL was still out.

ScottyWazz
03-24-2005, 08:32 PM
"The only thing I can say is he's under contract with Rimouski and the QMJHL for the next three years," Courteau said in an interview Tuesday from Longueuil, Que.

"If there's no NHL, I don't know what Sidney's going to do, but I know on our side that according to his contract he has to come back."

No draft means Crosby in the Q? (http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story.asp?ID=112587&hubName=chl)

kelownakarl
03-24-2005, 09:54 PM
This is a GREAT chance for the NHL to push the draft age back a year, and now draft this crop of kids next year.....

fightstrap50
03-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Crosby will likely end up next year in the AHL,playing with the Chicago Wolves or Toronto Marlies.Both teams have deep pockets and Cindy has progressed beyond the CHL level.
I could see Crosby playing in the AHL but theres a lot of real big boys hunting for roster spots on NHL teams looking to make an impact :karate: , if ya know what im sayin. So I cant really see him going there as a smaller 18 or 19 year old. Europe may be the right choice as the play is not so physically demanding,nor punnishing and more about finnesse and discipline. I also dont believe Sydney has progressed beyond the CHL world by any means, sure hes got 66 goals but Eric Fehr has 57. and yes,a **** load of assists at 102 is amazing yes but does he contribute well defensivly yet, i doubt it, with his team letting in something like 254 goals in against. Put him in the DUB as a player relocation and see how well he can do it here in the best junior league in the world, the WHL :thumb: just my opinion GO ICE GO!!!

The_Vulk
03-25-2005, 10:21 AM
I doubt he can play in the AHL.

Crosby is still young enough for the CHL, and without a contract with an AHL team (remember, they are the farm system of the NHL. So if no NHL team has drafted him, then they don't hold his rights, hince they can assign him to a team.)

As a free agent, I think he is too long to qualify as one and be allowed to play in the AHL.

The WHA, which has always had a lower age, would be his only choice, if he wishes to forgo his junior career.