PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Acquire Stamler

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
01-09-2008, 05:19 PM
From scbroncos.com:

The Swift Current Broncos hooked up with the Edmonton Oil Kings and the Vancouver Giants in a pair of deals this afternoon.

The Broncos have traded a 3rd Round pick in the 2008 Bantam Draft to the Oil Kings in exchange for 20 year old defensemen Bretton Stamler.
“With the uncertainty on our back end we felt we needed to add another veteran defensemen with playoff experience”, commented Broncos General Manager/Head Coach Dean Chynoweth. “Bretton will fill this need and provide our group with strong leadership and passion to win that will be required in the second half and playoffs.”

With this move the Broncos have traded 20 year old defensemen R.J. LaRochelle to the Vancouver Giants for future considerations.

Head Coach Dean Chynoweth states “This was an extremely tough decision for us to make, we would like to thank R.J. for his time as a Bronco and wish him all the best in Vancouver.”

Stamler is expected to join the Broncos in time for Friday’s game in Brandon.

Best of luck R.J., we'll miss the "south paw of fury"

Scout
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Oil Kings Trade Their Captain

Oil Kings captain Bretton Stamler scores his first of the year but it came in a 6 - 2 loss to the visiting Calgary Hitmen. Photo by Dylan Lynch
Edmonton Oil Kings General Manager Bob Green announced today the trade of 20 year old defenceman Bretton Stamler to the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for a 3rd round draft pick in the 2008 Bantam draft.
"Bretton has been a great captain for us." said Green. "He's been a big part of getting this franchise off to the right start and he logged a lot of valuable minutes along the way on our blue line. We wish Bretton all the best in his future endeavors."

Stamler was tied for the team lead in assists with 16 and just scored his first goal of the season Sunday versus the Calgary Hitmen.

Regular Season Stats

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2007-08 Regular Season Edmonton Oil Kings 43 1 16 17 -18 82
2006-07 WHL Season Seattle Thunderbirds 72 8 24 32 0 135
2005-06 WHL Season Seattle Thunderbirds 56 5 10 15 8 102
2004-05 WHL Season Seattle Thunderbirds 72 4 9 13 4 106
2003-2004 WHL Season Seattle Thunderbirds 61 0 9 9 7 27

CrazyGeorge
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
We get Stamler - great acquisition....what's next? Is this it?

minirep
01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I think we for sure made an upgrade on D. Now we need a good defensive forward, a back up goalie would be nice with a little more experiance for the playoffs and also in my opinion a real tuff guy so Smith won't have to drop the gloves all the time.

Offsider
01-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Would be nice to add a guy for that role I agree keeps Smith on the ice .With the new D man Now we can get Felde back up front that should help put some pucks in the net

Flathead
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I think we for sure made an upgrade on D. Now we need a good defensive forward, a back up goalie would be nice with a little more experiance for the playoffs and also in my opinion a real tuff guy so Smith won't have to drop the gloves all the time.
Stamler will drop the mitts and help with some toughness on the back end, the same way RJ did. I think we still need another stay at home dman, would be nice to get a real good 18 year old.
If we do get a legit tough guy, I hope he's on the back end. I think the forwards are just fine.

RV@BBB
01-09-2008, 10:11 PM
This is a good aquisition but doesnt solve any major problems. it just replaces the same guy really. Theres still the issue with all the 20's and 19's that hasn't been addressed. I hope theres something big in the works to help the team and not leave them dry for next year. I would compare this trading a cavalier for a sunfire. Same style one with in a little better condition. Right now Tassone is the only 18r old forward. He's having a good year but the team depth for next year is like the kiddie pool in the front yard.

Toswammi
01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
This is a good aquisition but doesnt solve any major problems. it just replaces the same guy really. Theres still the issue with all the 20's and 19's that hasn't been addressed. I hope theres something big in the works to help the team and not leave them dry for next year. I would compare this trading a cavalier for a sunfire. Same style one with in a little better condition. Right now Tassone is the only 18r old forward. He's having a good year but the team depth for next year is like the kiddie pool in the front yard.

Similar yes, but by all accounts Stamler brings us more leadership, as well as he is more likely to be injury free and available to the team.

Broncs in RD
01-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Stamler is a way better player. He adds toughness, leadership, a great stay at home Dman and an injury free player. He was also drafted by the Detroit Red Wings (which have great scouting). I think a few more trades are in the works, I have heard a few more rumblings after the Red Deer game.

minirep
01-10-2008, 01:11 AM
What rumblings?

Broncs in RD
01-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Let me make a phone call I am at work right now so I will post back in a few