PDA

View Full Version : Jagow(and a 3rd) to PA for Depape

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-09-2008, 05:25 PM
On both the pats site, and the Raiders site.

Another undrafted 19 year old. Though, if Depape steps it up and brings back the game he had last year, then this is a good trade for us. Otherwise, we just gave away a 3rd for a bigger jagow.

patsdude114
01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I must say i really like this deal.... I have always liked Jagow he busts his ***** off every shift just he doesnt really have a offensive upside to him... DePape showed last season he can score notching 25goals this season not doing as great but a change of scenrey may be what DePape needs.......

Damn it still no word on Figren

CJSenterprise4
01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I really like Jagow and DePape has been a loser in P.A. this year on and off the ice. Then we throw in a pick..that makes a lot of sense???

nivek_wahs
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I really like Jagow and DePape has been a loser in P.A. this year on and off the ice. Then we throw in a pick..that makes a lot of sense???I too liked Jagow. But 6'2, 214 lbs. 20+ goal scorers just don't come along everyday.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
All the trades, and opening the euro spot was to make room for Figren, and then he "Hanzals" us in return. Nice guy... Probably wants to be a (s)hitman instead. If he doesnt want to play for us, he isnt the type of player we want on our roster.

That was cruel to the fans though. Getting our hopes up to get a star forward on the team for such a long time, and then never actually delivering.

Oh well. We will be fine without him, but if he changes his mind, I would be happy still.

nivek_wahs
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I think that since the Figren trade doesn't look like it's going to happen (although who knows... it is the media) ... Maybe Parker has an alternate plan... Seems as though he is willing to wheel and deal... Why stop now? vc124

nivek_wahs
01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
From Greg Harder's Slap Shots (http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2008/01/09/pats-strike-again-acquire-depape.aspx)

Pats strike again, acquire DePape
Media release:

Regina, Saskatchewan –The Regina Pats announced this afternoon that they have made a two player trade with the Prince Albert Raiders. The Pats are acquiring 19 year old forward Ryan DePape, in exchange the Pats are shipping 19 year old forward Jared Jagow and a 3rd round bantam pick in 2008 to the Raiders.
DePape, the native of Winnipeg, MB, was the Raiders 1st Round Bantam Draft pick in 2003 when he was taken 3rd overall. So far this season DePape (6’2”, 214Ib) has scored 7 goals and added 12 assists for 19 points. Last season DePape scored 25 goals and added 31 assists to go along with 79 penalty minutes, in 43 games.
Jagow, the native of Rosetown, SK, has appeared in 35 games with the Pats this season, and has accumulated 9 goals and added 6 assists. Jagow (5’11”, 180lb) came to the Pats as a listed player in 2006, after a strong career with the Moose Jaw AAA Warriors.
“It’s hard to see Jared go, but we believe we have upgraded our team in terms of both offence and size. Ryan will be a good fit for our team and should provide us with additional character and grit down the stretch and in the play-offs.” commented Brent Parker, General Manager of the Regina Pats.

Analysis: The Pats are determined to get bigger, older and more talented. DePape provides all three elements. He has underachieved in P.A. this year but his numbers should improve in Regina, where he has a chance to become a fixture on the second line. The additional offence he provides is also a nice insurance policy if the Pats fail to land Robin Figren from Edmonton. The acquisition of DePape potentially adds to a growing logjam of 20-year-old candidates for next year. However, Parker should be able to at least partially recover the draft picks he has surrendered in the past week by trading his excess overage players after this season.

patsdude114
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I think with Figren being the biggest name in the league being thrown around they r waiting til the actual trade deadline day to announce it.... god i hope we did land him tho.....

Getting DePape was a good deal for us tho we dont loose anything with age in that deal and get a bigger body with better hands to score......

Here is big question with our roster now...... Is there still room on this Pats roster for a guy by the name of Elder? I personally dont think there is, he was only here to fight to begin with and hes not even that good at that to be honest, with a guy like Watt who is more then ready to take care of things (yes i know we didnt bring him in to fight but to score and a physical presence) plus we got guys like Teubert, Bender, Leffler, Kennedy, Mitchell (even tho he is only 16) who can all handle themselves and will stand up for teammates. I dont think theres a need for Elder anymore.

CJSenterprise4
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM
There is no reason to still have Elder. He is not that good and is no help to this team. He is not even top 3 toughest/best fighter on the team.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
There is no reason to still have Elder. He is not that good and is no help to this team. He is not even top 3 toughest/best fighter on the team.

I think its safe to say that we lost the Mcdonald-Elder trade. Though maybe we can win the Depape-Jagow trade, and make up for that.

Elder is one of the best fighters in the league. Top 5, maybe top 3... but outside of that, he doesnt really do anything else. Decent skater, but cant hit...at all. He is not particularily skilled, and he doesnt even fight that often anyways. 4, or 5 fights this year so far isnt enough.

He wont be here as an OA next year, that much is sure, and though I dont think he should get the ice time he gets, he still has a place on the team as our "tough guy". If there is someone we want to fight Mclovin or the Klutz, etc, I think Elder is our best option.

If he is a sometimes-healthy-scratch kind of guy, along with being an occasional grinder with some minutes, but not too much, I think he should stay. Just as long as he isnt slated as Strueby's permanent linemate, like it seems he is.

patsdude114
01-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Elder wanted no part of McLaren when MJ was here..... Elder isnt even close to being in the same fighting class as McLaren..... Bender or Watt would be our best option to fight McLaren

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Elder wanted no part of McLaren when MJ was here..... Elder isnt even close to being in the same fighting class as McLaren..... Bender or Watt would be our best option to fight McLaren

I would not miss Elder if he was moved, but when it comes to fighting he is our top guy. He doesnt fight often, but from what I ahve seen, he has been one of the best fighters this year. Bender and Watt can both scrap but they are needed on the ice. Sure, standing up for a teammate or whatever, I am all for that... but squaring out against a heavy, Elder is the guy I want in there. Especially if it isnt a guy who has skill like Mclaren or Yeo. If its a Klotz or a Gillen type, then we dont want a guy we need on the ice to be in the box, while they only have a goon in the box.

and Mclaren isnt that much out of Elder's league. I heard Klotz gave him a good fight, and Elder fought the very same Klotz to what looked like a draw, or possibly a win. Elder jsut needs to step up to the plate, is all.

patsdude114
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Maybe my mindset would change if he did step up to the plate and fight some more bigger names in the heavy weight department... he hardly wants to fight grantham either if ur here to fight fight the big names

nivek_wahs
01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I really wich the Pats could have added a heavy, but really is there any need for a true heavy? I miss the days of Colton Orr and David Kaczowka and Kyle Freadrich.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I remember we had a guy who could really fight that was here, by the name of Jack Redlick. He was almost the monster that Freadrich was, and I remember he one punched a guy as well.

How come he didnt last that long in regina?

nivek_wahs
01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/NEWS/118/

Parker pulls trigger again

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, January 10, 2008
What began as a simple makeover has turned into a total facelift for the Regina Pats.

General manager Brent Parker broke out his scalpel again Wednesday, acquiring veteran winger Ryan DePape, 19, from the Prince Albert Raiders for left-winger Jared Jagow, 19, and a third-round bantam pick in 2008. DePape is slated to make his Pats' debut Friday night against the visiting Vancouver Giants.

"I'm really excited to join their club," DePape said while en route to Regina. "They're doing well and they've brought in some good players. I can't wait to help contribute and meet the boys."

DePape's acquisition comes on the heels of three previous trades that saw the Pats land four other seasoned veterans. They picked up forwards J.D. Watt and Scott Doucet from the Red Deer Rebels and added blueliners Ryan Bender and Victor Bartley from the Kamloops Blazers. Rookie defenceman Dallas Jackson was also acquired from Red Deer.

"We felt we needed to improve our level of grit and our size to go down the stretch," said Parker. "At (playoff time) every inch is tougher to gain on the ice. Yet, we've improved our skill level at the same time. We needed to add some secondary scoring. We've added two guys who've scored 25 goals (or more) in the league (Watt and DePape). We've added some experience on the back end. We've added leadership, grit and toughness. We really believe we've addressed all the areas that we needed to."

DePape's addition gives the Pats another top-six forward, which they coveted. The 6-foot-2, 214-pounder also provides insurance if Regina is unable to land sniper Robin Figren, the top scorer for Sweden at the recent world junior hockey championship. Regina and the Edmonton Oil Kings had a tentative agreement for Figren, but it's now in jeopardy because he has reportedly balked at joining the Pats.

The deal may or may not happen before today's deadline.

"I think we're probably done," said Parker. "If something came along where we could add another import we might do it but we're not hell bent on doing it by any stretch. We're very happy to go forward with this group of kids. We have as good a chance as anybody to take a run at it. There are no guarantees obviously but we think we're right in the mix."

DePape thinks so too.

"They're looking to make the team better," he said of the recent trades. "I want to work hard for them and help them be better. They want to win games and I want to win too."

DePape had an outstanding season with Prince Albert in 2006-07, posting 25 goals and 56 points in 62 games. His numbers have dipped this year in conjunction with the struggling Raiders -- seven goals and 19 points in 43 games -- but the Pats believe he can regain his old form.

"He's a guy who scored 25 goals in the league and you don't do that by accident," noted Parker. "We think he'll be a good fit for us. Having said that we'll all miss Jags. He's a great kid and fit in well with everybody. He'll be a good addition to P.A.'s lineup. (They're) just different types of players."

DePape started this season as the Raiders' captain but he and the other alternates were stripped after a curfew-related incident which involved several players. Defenceman Jeff May was named captain upon returning from pro camp, while DePape later retained an 'A.'

"A fresh start is welcome," said DePape, the fourth-overall pick in the 2003 bantam draft. "I'm having somewhat of an underachieving season compared to last year. I want to put up points. With a clean slate and a fresh start, I can't wait to do it for them."

EXTRAS: DePape said he wasn't surprised to be dealt by the Raiders, who've started raising the white flag. May was traded to the Lethbridge Hurricanes on Wednesday for a pair of prospects -- Brent Martin and Robbie Ciolfi -- plus a second-round pick in the 2008 bantam draft ... The Swift Current Broncos acquired D Bretton Stamler, 20, from the Edmonton Oil Kings for a third-round bantam pick. To make room, Swift Current sent overage D R.J. LaRochelle to the Vancouver Giants for future considerations. LaRochelle is currently out with a concussion.

nivek_wahs
01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I remember we had a guy who could really fight that was here, by the name of Jack Redlick. He was almost the monster that Freadrich was, and I remember he one punched a guy as well.

How come he didnt last that long in regina?Oh I remember "The Beast"... He was built like a truck and it didn't look like he was wearing shoulder pads. I'm not sure what the deal was with him as he had a couple shorter stays during his career. Freadrich on the other hand was gigantic and would would scrap anyone.

Wildeyes
01-10-2008, 10:22 PM
no to knock Depape the only reason he scored 20+ last yr is becasue he was on a line with robertson and mcdonald. He will score if you put someone with a scoring touch on his line.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-10-2008, 11:19 PM
no to knock Depape the only reason he scored 20+ last yr is becasue he was on a line with robertson and mcdonald. He will score if you put someone with a scoring touch on his line.

Is he that physical? Does he play a power forwards game (driving to the net, etc), or is he a goalscorer that needs a playmaker to generate offence?

Could you give me an idea of how he plays? Shot, skating, passing and so forth?

(Im refering to both this year and last year....)

CJSenterprise4
01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
would have been sweet if P.A. would have traded Robertson to the Pats then i would have been excited. and there is no need for more than one fighter or tough guy anymore...hockey has changed and Parker should open his eyes and get some more skilled guys instead of big strong players that "drive" the net. Not to knock Leffler b/c i like him but he doesn't have that many goals. Now most of the Pats team can "drive" then net...doesn't do alot if you don't have skilled guys getting the puck there. Start triple shifting Eberle!

nivek_wahs
01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
no to knock Depape the only reason he scored 20+ last yr is becasue he was on a line with robertson and mcdonald. He will score if you put someone with a scoring touch on his line.Numbers usually do increase when someone plays with a player (or players) of some skill.

patsrock83
01-11-2008, 10:41 PM
hey cj douch bag! did you watch the game tonight i think we did pretty good "Driving to the net" with our unskilled team....get a clue

Fight Guy
01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
would have been sweet if P.A. would have traded Robertson to the Pats then i would have been excited. and there is no need for more than one fighter or tough guy anymore...hockey has changed and Parker should open his eyes and get some more skilled guys instead of big strong players that "drive" the net. Not to knock Leffler b/c i like him but he doesn't have that many goals. Now most of the Pats team can "drive" then net...doesn't do alot if you don't have skilled guys getting the puck there. Start triple shifting Eberle!
Heh heh...your funny! :wave:

CJSenterprise4
01-12-2008, 12:55 AM
hey cj douch bag! did you watch the game tonight i think we did pretty good "Driving to the net" with our unskilled team....get a clue

I was at the game tonight as i am at every home game...They played really good tonight and it was great to see. Elder played his best game of the year and it was a good game. It is only one game though. We will see how the rest of the year plays out.