PDA

View Full Version : Giants acquire RJ Larochelle

WHL Crazy
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I believe for futures. There is your d-man!

Giants_24
01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
1) Source?
2) Who is this guy?

dagley
01-09-2008, 06:14 PM
1) Confirmed by Swift Current website
2) Great defense man, except hes injured right now and resumed skating.

old_time_hockey
01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Can't be that hurt reading the release on the Giants site:

The Vancouver Giants have acquired 20 year-old defenceman R.J. LaRochelle from the Swift Current Broncos. In exchange, the Broncos have received an 8th round pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

LaRochelle is into his fifth and final season in the Western Hockey League. The 6’3”, 190lbs. native of Swift Current, Saskatchewan has spent the past two seasons with his hometown team. Prior to playing for the Broncos, LaRochelle has played two seasons with the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

In 224 career regular season games in the WHL, LaRochelle has scored five goals, 24 assists, and collected 379 penalty minutes.

“R.J. brings an extra element of experience and size to our defence group,” says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. “We look forward to seeing him make a strong impact on our line-up for the remainder of the season.”

R.J. will make his Giants debut Friday January 11 when the club opens their East Division road trip against the Regina Pats. Game time is 5:00pm PST.

Priceisright
01-09-2008, 06:20 PM
:o :o not was i hoping for and who in the hech is this guy? no offense apparently going by his stats, looks like size and toughness? can he skate at least? lol

looks like more of a depth player?

Hope theres something more to come in terms of a trade.

Beaner
01-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Makes no sense for Swift Current. Unless they are making room for another 20 year old.

Beaner
01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Ok now it makes sense - The Broncos have acquired 20 yr old Bretton Stamler from the Oil kings for a 3rd rounder

Had to make room.

Link Dog
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
RJ is a solid stay at home defenseman with a great left hand, just ask Kyle Beech.

ointhecreek
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
RJ is a fairly decent stay at home Defenseman who can scrap with the best. Is a south paw but can chuck hard with both and switch up quickly. The biggest trouble with him is he has had numerous concussions and not sure how many more he will take. Some people are a little worried about it. It was nice to watch him the last couple years and will miss him. We lose a lot of our toughness, not that we had a lot. Good luck RJ and thanks for the last two years. applause

Speedy Broncs
01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
RJ is a defensive minded d-man who for the last 1 1/2 seasons has played against the other team's top forward lines. Good shot blocker, good left handed scrapper.

old_time_hockey
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
RJ is a solid stay at home defenseman with a great left hand, just ask Kyle Beech.

Now were are in business!

Anyone that has creamed Kyle Beach is welcome vci22

Kassian
01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm certainly not complaining as I love gritty tough players but this move kind of surprises me. LaRochelle has had so many concussions over the last few seasons. In fact I thought I read somewhere not long ago that he was contemplating retiring from hockey because of it? If he's healthy and able to provide a tough physical presence on the back end I'm all for this deal. But I'm a little concerned about his health.

scrunt
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, he was a pretty cheap acquisition. He cost us less (8th round '09) than we got for Toigo (conditional 6th round, '09).

Considering the prices paid for some of the other D-men, I'm not surprised we weren't in the running for a top guy.

Priceisright
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Basically in the "goon" category? or does he have some skill?

ointhecreek
01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Basically in the "goon" category? or does he have some skill?
I wouldn't call him a goon, he never went out seeking a fight but never backed down. Plays a pretty good defensive game, not flashy. The only real down side is the number of concussions.

dondo
01-09-2008, 08:36 PM
the real question I have is can he skate, or is he fairly slow?

Did not give up a lot (hardly anything really) --, but this doesn't really address our need for a top four defensive D-man, maybe this is the best we could do with our 20 spot. But I'll reserve judgment until I see him out there with the team.

Welcome RJ .. and OTH echoed what I was thinking -- anyone who has pummeled Beatch is most welcome.. its also good to hear the Broncos fans like him as well. :thumb:

CHtoo
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
It will be interesting to see him in a Giant uniform in Swift later this month. clrkthj

Scout
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
The kid is the old style stay at home D-Man. Blocks shots and clears the net. Not only is he a good stay at home D-Man but is one tough son of a gun. One of the top middle weights in the Dub. Will not let an opponent take any liberties on his team mates. And yes he has one heck of a left but can fight with either. Some ask about his skating? If you think he is a knuckle dragger. Your wrong. He was one of our top D-man and was our most feared player in toughness. He can skate and plays the old style of game. Hit, block,shoot and drop them. You guys will love him and we will miss him.

Scout

rinkrat
01-09-2008, 09:04 PM
The kid is the old style stay at home D-Man. Blocks shots and clears the net. Not only is he a good stay at home D-Man but is one tough son of a gun. One of the top middle weights in the Dub. Will not let an opponent take any liberties on his team mates. And yes he has one heck of a left but can fight with either. Some ask about his skating? If you think he is a knuckle dragger. Your wrong. He was one of our top D-man and was our most feared player in toughness. He can skate and plays the old style of game. Hit, block,shoot and drop them. You guys will love him and we will miss him.

Scout

Thanks alot for that Scout. Sounds like Fistric. :D

dondo
01-09-2008, 09:10 PM
yup it does -- looking forward to seeing him -- thanks scout -- I love the old-style hockey players vci34

Scout
01-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Well i don't know if i would put him in Fistric league as Fistric was a real heavey weight. R.J. won't get you alot of points but he will be a great addition. The thing i liked the most about R.J. is he's not one of these tie up your opponent type fighters. He likes to stand and chuck them. As for the Kyle Beach fight. It wasen't even close. R.J. destroyed him. Another thing is he even looks mean and tough. His face is chiseled and he just looks mean but is a super nice kid. Won't look for a fight but he sure won't back down.

Scout

Giantsfan
01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Fistric was big & played big, but almost never dropped the gloves. I wouldn't call Fistric a fighter or even rank him cause he rarely dropped the mitts.

old_time_hockey
01-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Fistric would to protect a teammate. Think that is where the comparison is

Section_Z
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
If this kid can stay healthy, we got a great deal for nothing...