PDA

View Full Version : 2nd SO win in a row over AMS

Tipped Off
01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Posted : : 01/09/2008
Silvertips Again Beat Americans In A Shootout
Gendur with two goals; Beach with game winner
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett, Wash. - The Everett Silvertips knocked off the Tri-City Americans 3-2 in a shootout on Wednesday night, January 9th, at Comcast Arena at the Everett Events Center. It was the second consecutive game between the two teams with both going beyond regulation and the standard overtime period. Also for the second game in a row, Kyle Beach scored the shootout winner as Everett's record this season against Tri-City climbs to 5-3 and overall to 23-19-0-2 (48 pts); they remain third place in the U.S. Division and fifth in the Western Conference.

Dan Gendur's two goal performance got things going in the opening period. On his first, following a cross ice pass from Zach Hamill in the Silvertips zone, Gendur carried the puck down the rightwing boards and into the Americans end. Fighting the whole way, Gendur muscled off a shot while engaged with his defender that went through Tri-City goaltender Chet Pickard at the 7:35 mark. He would follow that up at 14:55 on the power play with a shot from the top of the zone that Pickard never saw. However, Jason Reese scored for the Americans at 16:05 to get the visitors on the board.

The game went without scoring until Tri-City tied things up early in the third on a Colton Yellow Horn 5-on-3 goal at 2:05. Neither team could convert again including Everett despite a lengthy two man advantage of their own late in the 20-minutes. That gave reason for the overtime period and the shootout.

The Silvertips out shot the Americans 3-1 in the 5-minute OT with the lone Tri-City shot resulting in a huge Leland Irving glove save. Irving remained solid for the shootout by stopping all three shooters he faced. It was Kyle Beach as Everett's second shooter who won the game with a shot over Pickard's right shoulder.

The Silvertips will remain at home for their next game against the Seattle Thunderbirds this Friday night. Game time at Comcast Arena at the Everett Events Center is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. It will then be a rare Saturday off for the team before traveling to Portland to face-off against the Winter Hawks at Memorial Coliseum on Sunday. Game time is set for 5:00 p.m.

Silvertips Box Score

Dan Gendur (13, 14) 2G
Zach Hamill 2A
Kyle Beach 1A
Tyler Kieffer 1A - First Career Point

Leland Irving (17-17) 24/26
Shayne Barrie (6-4) 1/1 - Made brief substitution appearance in the second

Starting Line-up: Leland Irving (G), Jonathan Harty (D), Tyler Kieffer (D),
Lukas Vartovnik (LW), Shane Harper (C), Tyler Skauge (RW)

Scoring: Tri-City 2 (1-0-1-0-0) ; Everett 3 (2-0-0-0-1)
Shots On Goal: Tri-City 27 (7-16-10-1-0); Everett 31 (16-6-5-3-1)
Power Plays: Tri-City 1/6 - 13 SOG; Everett 1/8 - 10 SOG
Attendance: 4,738

3 Stars
1. Dan Gendur
2. Jason Reese (Tri)
3. Leland Irving

Tipped Off
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM
The Ams remind me of last year's Tips...

Last season the Tips got out of gate really hot, played fast, scored some goals, played good D and jumped out to a great record. After the break they faded big time as they got worn out, beat up by opposing teams who weren't afraid to take penalties to impose their strength and, by the end of the year, we were done. We squeaked by the first round and bowed out int he 2nd despite having the best record in the WHL. Meidl (SP) actually looked good for you guys tonight despite that early penalty he took. IF he plays the same every game I think you guys got something there for a pretty cheap price.

In the third the refs decided to take over that game and called some BS stuff on both teams. I prefer it when they just call the big stuff and let the kids decide the game on the ice.

I'm not going to get into the CFB major because it happened awa from me. I'll hav eot see the replay "on demand" tomorrow night before I make my decision on whether it was warranted or not.

Ams4life
01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Everett is palying some good hockey right now but this Americans team is NOT the regular team. We are missing pro and vey who make up a big peice of the pie! Also some of the younger kids are gone. Our Chemistry is all messed up right now and it shows. Good win for you guys though. Congrats, just don't expect it to be that easy once we get our guys back.

Tipped Off
01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
...it wasn't that easy with your guys gone! LOL. Two shootout wins isn't exactly a dominating performance. I can't repeat enough times, I hate the shootout as a way of deciding a game. That being said, I hate ties too. I wish they'd just play 4 on 4 hockey until someone scores. That would be my preference. The deeper, more fit team, would win most the time.

Ams4life
01-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I hear you there! The shootout is exciting but yeah its not a good way to decide the game.