Dudas?
Deagle?
Gardner?

puckmam
01-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I hope none of them.

smileyjones
01-10-2008, 11:38 AM
With the possible exception of Gardner. He could provide good leadership with a young group.

Fact is we're probably going nowhere this year. If you're gonna lose, might as well lose young. At least that way there's some hope for the future.

Teacher
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Dudas east, with 6 round 2007 pick Catlin Foley, for Ian Curtis 17yr old goalie.
Does this mean Cyr is on way out?
They now only have 7 defenseman who have played games this year and one of them is 15yr old Bruin McDonald. McDonald played really good when called up in December, but can they use a 15yr old more than 5 games if any of the other D go down with injury?
Will Cyr be used to bring back a veteran D to help out Sagert?

smileyjones
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Cody Hobbs from Chilliwack for a 7th rounder.

Gotta imagine Cyr is on the block, as Tommy and Curtis are the most likely tandem for next year.

WestLEAFfan
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Cody Hobbs from Chilliwack for a 7th rounder.

Gotta imagine Cyr is on the block, as Tommy and Curtis are the most likely tandem for next year.

If CYR is released as opposed to traded, the COUGARS organization truly is classless. Let's hope CYR sticks with someone, preferrably staying put.

old_time_hockey
01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Swanson seems to think Tommy T is the odd man out:

Cougars deal Dudas, add Hobbs (0) < Prev | Next >
(Breaking News) Thursday, 10 January 2008, 11:36 PST
Jim Swanson

The Prince George Cougars have traded veteran defenceman Jesse Dudas, shoring up a gap in their goaltending depth in the process.

Dudas, a 19-year-old draft choice of the Columbus Blue Jackets, was sent to the Swift Current Broncos along with 15-year-old prospect Catlin Foley, the team's sixth-round bantam choice (120th overall) this past spring, for huge goaltender Ian Curtis, a 17-year-old from Abbotsford. The 1990-born Curtis, six-foot-five and 214 pounds, was the first goaltender selected in the 2005 WHL bantam draft, taken 23rd overall (second round) by the Broncos.

Curtis started for the Broncos on Oct. 6 in a game at CN Centre, stopping 20 of 21 shots as Swift Current soundly defeated the Cougars 6-1. Curtis also started in the Oct. 20 game between the teams in Swift Current, but was pulled in the third period after allowing four goals on 24 shots. The Cougars went on to win that game 5-4 in come-from-behind fashion as Ty Wishart, since traded by the Cats to Moose Jaw, had the lone goal in the shootout.

On the season, Curtis has a 3.37 goals-against average, an .862 save percentage and a 4-2-0 record in 11 games played. His last start was a long time ago, Dec. 12, a 25-save victory as the Broncos won 3-1 on the road in Everett.

Curtis, a left-handed goaltender (catches with his right hand), is the 14th-rated North American goalie for the upcoming NHL draft, that according to Central Scouting rankings unveiled Wednesday. Curtis is a strong puck-handler, and played some of his minor hockey on the same team as current Cougars rookie Ryan Kowalski, a 16-year-old.

Foley, a right-winger, is from Coronach, Sask., which is southeast of Swift Current. He's currently playing at Notre Dame, in Wilcox, Sask.

Dudas, who was often injured, played in just 67 regular season games for the Cougars and no playoff games. In those 67 games, the native of St. Albert, AB, had four goals and 54 points.

"We are pleased to add Ian to our roster and he gives us great size in net," Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson said in a release. "We thank Jesse for his service to the club and wish him the best in Swift Current."

[b]The move leaves the Cougars with three WHL-level goalies -- Curtis, overager Real Cyr, and 19-year-old Tommy Tartaglione -- so another roster move will have to be made. Tartaglione is expected to be the odd man out, and could be outright released.

The Cougars also announced the acquisition of 18-year-old defenceman Cody Hobbs, a native of Prince Albert, from the Chilliwack Bruins. The Cougars gave up a seventh-round bantam choice in 2008 to get Hobbs, who has eight assists in 32 games this season. The six-foot-one, 188-pounder joined the Bruins mid-way through last season from the Prince Albert Mintos program, playing 22 WHL games as a rookie.

In the only other move announced so far today, the Calgary Hitmen have traded journeyman defenceman Eric Frere, 19, to the Kootenay Ice for a fifth-round bantam choice.

The WHL trade deadline is at 2 p.m. PT. Check back for updates, and see Friday's Citizen for a complete WHL trade wrapup, including a list of all deals made in the weeks leading up to the deadline.

Do the Cougars have a prospect they feel can backup Curtis next season?

TwoBits
01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I guess it all depends upon who they want to hone the young goalie and what their plans are for him next year. Is it realistic or fair to throw an 18 year old into the starting position with no reliable back-up?

old_time_hockey
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Well exactly. When Slade left last season Bonner found a vet that wouldn't mind backing up Tyson.

Those guys are few and far between however.

TwoBits
01-10-2008, 04:32 PM
You have said many times though that Sexsmith's back-up is not reliable and that you'd be up the creek without a paddle if he were ever injured. Everyone knows how biased I am so take this for what it's worth..... I think TT is too unorthodox to serve as a role model. The only reason they would keep him on would to alleviate the worry of finding yet another goalie next year.

old_time_hockey
01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I agree. Tommy I think has come to the understanding that even the ECHL is out of his reach. So I think he is putting on a show now to play out his junior career. But like you say, it ends their search for next year.

TwoBits
01-10-2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=111909&Itemid=596

I was reading the same article posted by the Citizen but this line was changed.

Cougars deal Dudas, add Hobbs

The move leaves the Cougars with three WHL-level goalies -- Curtis, overager Real Cyr, and 19-year-old Tommy Tartaglione -- so another roster move will have to be made. Tartaglione is expected to be the odd man out, and could be outright released.

To:

In other moves, 19-year-old goalie Tommy Tartaglione was released along with 19-year-old winger Morgan MacLean.

I guess that answers our question.

WestLEAFfan
01-10-2008, 07:19 PM
All is right..CYR gets to finish his career as a COUGAR. Too bad for TT though, hope he finds a home somewhere.

smileyjones
01-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Seemed like a nice kid, and was fun as hell to watch. Cyr is clearly the main guy now and Curtis will get groomed by a hard worker which is fantastic.

Can't figure out McLean though. He had good wheels, a good shot and was only 18. Seemed to draw the ire of the coaching staff on a regular basis so maybe their was an attitude problem?

I'm also glad Cyr is staying because the discussion would have dried up on this forum once you guys from Saskatchewan buggered off to whatever team he got traded to. :wave:

TwoBits
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Smiley Jones:

I'm also glad Cyr is staying because the discussion would have dried up on this forum once you guys from Saskatchewan buggered off to whatever team he got traded to.

Lol. Looks like you are stuck with us....rose coloured glasses and all. :laugh:

smileyjones
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Glad you've got those glasses, cause I've got another 1/2 season of home games to see.....I might want to borrow them vc124

TwoBits
01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
No....I'll never let you forget. :laugh: Looks like you've got some more good Saskatchewan boys coming to the team. Are you excited about the changes?

old_time_hockey
01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
I think we will see TnT land a job in the BCHL

TwoBits
01-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Think so? Where?

Arthur Fonzerelli
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Tartaglione to Surrey (BCHL)

puckmam
01-11-2008, 05:05 AM
This should be a breath of fresh air tonight. A group of players that 'want' to play.
Are you going Smiley?

smileyjones
01-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Looking forward to seeing what these new guys can do.

All we can realistically expect is a lot of energy and hard work

Biscuit
01-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Looking forward to seeing what these new guys can do.

How'd that work out for you?