PDA

View Full Version : the new kids

hockey4
01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
i was very impressed with the Kulhanek kid from chilliwack. considering he will be here for 2 more years, i envision him being one of our top scorers in the years to come. The miller kid is a great skater for his size and should develope nicely with the leaderhship of ofukany and sonne. Valach isnt the best in his own end, but should provide some offence seeing our younger d-men Kot, are more stay at home types.

On another note, i have ntoiced scarborough really step up his play the last few weeks, eghner as well.

rednex50
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
You are going to love him man...he is a coaches dream man. Goes balls to the wall each and every shift. He may not win any scoring titles, but will be a good compliment on the 1st or 2nd line. Was on our #1 PP unit for most of the first half of the season, is a very good PK guy, hits, hussels, fights (middle to light heavy weight), and stands up for his teammates. May not be the fastest guy out there, or the most talented, but the heart and soul he pours out more than makes up for his short comings.

He was one of my fav. 3 on the team...because of how he played...even last year when he didn't have any puck luck.

You have a guy who should wear a letter next season...thats how much of a leader on and of the ice the guy is.

SectionNDeserter
01-10-2008, 06:21 PM
i was very impressed with the Kulhanek kid from chilliwack. considering he will be here for 2 more years, i envision him being one of our top scorers in the years to come. The miller kid is a great skater for his size and should develope nicelyThe thing I noticed about both of these guys is that they aren't scared to shoot the puck from just about anywhere. Miller is very physically mature for 16, and I am quite excited about his future with us.

Valach isnt the best in his own end, but should provide some offence seeing our younger d-men Kot, are more stay at home types.I wasn't blown away by Valach's play in his own end, but he is better than a few of our players in our own end, and really no worse than others. I am happy that a) the other teams will have to actually pressure our defense when they are in the other team's zone, as he actually keeps the puck in their zone sometimes, and has a cannon of a shot and b) He has no reservations about carrying the puck out of our zone and through the neutral zone. I was extremely impressed with a few dekes and toe-drags that Ofukany has pulled off, as well as how well he can move through traffic with the puck.

On another note, i have ntoiced scarborough really step up his play the last few weeks, eghner as well.What you have been seeing is Scarborough (as well as others) being used on the power play, or other roles that have been 'alien' to him so far, in order for, I think, the team to make a decision on some of them before the trade deadline. The real problem with Scarborough's game, is that when he is on the ice, the puck generally doesn't leave our end of the ice until his shift is over, or temporarily when he ices the puck (or if we are on the power play). Egener has started to skate with the puck more, in favor of just drilling it off the boards, or passing it to the other team, which I am sure has won him a lot of points with the coaches and his goaltenders.

hockey4
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
What you have been seeing is Scarborough (as well as others) being used on the power play, or other roles that have been 'alien' to him so far, in order for, I think, the team to make a decision on some of them before the trade deadline. The real problem with Scarborough's game, is that when he is on the ice, the puck generally doesn't leave our end of the ice until his shift is over, or temporarily when he ices the puck (or if we are on the power play). Egener has started to skate with the puck more, in favor of just drilling it off the boards, or passing it to the other team, which I am sure has won him a lot of points with the coaches and his goaltenders.

True about the things he's never done before. however watching the game last night, the puck was dumped in and he immediatly wheeled up the ice for a breakout pass, rather then stop start again (his first couple strides dont seem that fast, so the coaches obviously just want him to continue skating behind the net). His breakout passes seemed to be a lot crisper then at the start of the year. By no means is he a grade A d man, but ive definetly noticed some big improvements in his game.