PDA

View Full Version : winners/losers of deadline

hockey4
01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
of teams in contention (or playoffs for that matter)

winners
calgary - added offense
regina - added plenty (is chemistry an issue now???)

losers
med hat - lost a d-man
lethbridge - added may (who i think is a gamble seeing very limited playoff experience)and from all accounts still have fadden who is a cancer. didnt add any forward depth

i dont know enough about the west teams to comment

dagley
01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
The trades arent done, by the way

Fight Guy
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Haha...no kidding.

hockey4
01-10-2008, 05:07 PM
its 2 hours after the deadline, any blockbusters would ahve been wrapped up by now seeing they take a significant amount of time.

dagley
01-10-2008, 05:08 PM
You realize that the WHL office has to confirm, players have to be informed until they're announced? Last year around this time, another 5-8 trades were announced.

hockey4
01-10-2008, 05:09 PM
my bad, forgot about the "big press release". i still think most blockbusters would be already announced. i thought it was at 2 but i guess its at 3

eye4aneye
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
And it will depend on what is in the players contracts if it is agreed to..Not a well it is 4 and we are done...we are like a bunch of kids...MOM WHO ARE WE GETTING FOR THE TEAMMMMMMMMMM?? MOM MOM clrkthj

eye4aneye
01-10-2008, 05:13 PM
my bad, forgot about the "big press release". i still think most blockbusters would be already announced. i thought it was at 2 but i guess its at 3
Are you kidding the league is loving this...there hasn't been this much attention at trade deadline in ages...there are so many teams that could contend

hockey4
01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Are you kidding the league is loving this...there hasn't been this much attention at trade deadline in ages...there are so many teams that could contend

in my mind, as of this moment (barring any late announcements), the east has regina, calgary, and moose jaw. Lethbridge lacks the grit and defensive responsibilty up front to contend. Also not as keen on there goaltending as i am on the other three. Calgary's PP was holding them back a bit, but they've improved that area. My only concern with regina is with this many trades, chemistry could, and likely will be an issue. they've turned over half there team in the last 10 days.

Teacher
01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone can say what they want but Thompson and the Cougars have done an incredible job at the deadline. :clap:
Getting Maylan and Riege and 1st rounder for Wishart and Fuller, Ian Curtis for Dudas and 6th round pick in 07 Catlin Foley, has made this team younger and much more talented in the long run. clrkth
Prince George mortgaged the future last year on a long play off run and it paid off. Now the GM has gotten a first round pick from 06 in Maylan to replace Elliot, the first rounder traded for Setoguchi from Moose Jaw , and the number one goalie chosen in the 2005 draft (23rd) Curtis.
You cant do a better job than that when everyone knows that you have to trade to get better. :groovy:

dagley
01-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm overall disappointed at Everett and Seattle not doing anything to help their club out, or help rebuild. I'm very happy with my hometown team, adding McCue who can play with Aulie, both boys are over 6'5" and 200 pounds. They kept the nucleus up front and when Clark gets back from his ankle injury it will provide more scoring and bring out top 2 lines back to how dominate they were in the first half. Regina did a decent job, but chemistry is going to take awhile for their team.

I'm surprised Figren, Reimer were not moved either.

patsdude114
01-11-2008, 04:31 AM
I guess Figren likes playing the trap game in and game out.... The Pats and Oil Kings had a deal all but done just needed Figren to accept the deal to come to Regina. He could of ended his junior career by actually putting up some #s after the trade deadline but instead he decides to sit tight and let his talent go to waste on trap style Oil Kings team.....

Taking a trade to Regina or Calgary or any other contending team would of gave Figren some more playoff experience, which ultimately would of helped his development to become Pro nexted season (even tho he will turn pro but playoff hockey is a much needed experience that u cant teach) since when does a player in the junior ranks get to decide if hes traded or not anyways.

Oh well what is done is done..... some winners at this years trade deadline in my mind are.. the Calgary Hitmen, Moose Jaw Warriors, Regina Pats and Spokane Chiefs....and yes even the Red Deer Rebels and Prince George Cougars they both picked up some top end prospects Miller (to RD) Curtis, Maylen and 1st round pick (to PG)

Some teams added some impact players as well with May going to Lethbridge, LaRochelle off to Vancouver, Stampler to Swifty, Sim and Fere (KOO)

Was kinda disappointed that there was no big name player being moved on the actual trade deadline day tho, kinda uncommon for that i would think. But alot of top end talent was moved Wishart (MJ) Watt (REG) McCrae (SPO) Ross (KAM) Dixon (CGY) all these guys will have a impact down the stretch.

In my mind the biggest impact will come in MJ with Ty Wishart, gives the Warriors prob the best one two punch in the league on the back end with Ellerby and Wishart, but after those 2 there defence falls off the charts in a hurry very young and not too experienced (im sure warrior fans can also agre wit that) Depth wise on the back end id give the nod to either Regina, Calgary or Kootney tho in the eastern conference.

Best goaltender is still on a non playoff team in Riemer, but goalie with most playoff experience is Perricone (MJ) Rowat and Spence still searching for more playoff experience, with Lazaruk getting a taste this season between the pipes.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
in my mind, as of this moment (barring any late announcements), the east has regina, calgary, and moose jaw. Lethbridge lacks the grit and defensive responsibilty up front to contend. Also not as keen on there goaltending as i am on the other three. Calgary's PP was holding them back a bit, but they've improved that area. My only concern with regina is with this many trades, chemistry could, and likely will be an issue. they've turned over half there team in the last 10 days.

That's 2 digs at Lethbridge you have posted on here and the Fadden cancer things is way way overblown. Who is your team, Portland??

hockey4
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
That's 2 digs at Lethbridge you have posted on here and the Fadden cancer things is way way overblown. Who is your team, Portland??

Not following. Is it wrong to state that i dont feel your team has the assets to contend. and no my team is not portland, but apparently if your team is bad you cant comment on the others????

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Not following. Is it wrong to state that i dont feel your team has the assets to contend. and no my team is not portland, but apparently if your team is bad you cant comment on the others????

No you can say what you like. It's just I hope Canes prove you wrong. People overlook us for some reason. Look who has the "second most points" in the East. It is not like we are 5th and hoping for a few wins. We are Second!!!! We are also 3-1 against the only team ahead of us.

Tiger Trauma
01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Medicine hat lost short term, but i believe they gain long-term. A 2nd and 3rd pick i thought is getting good value for a guy, that possibly could have been the odd man out next year.

Quite a few teams look like they are poised to make some noise. I'm assuming it will give the expected powerhouse calgary a few headaches(in the east). I think its amazing that more than halfway through the year a measly 6 points or 3 wins is the difference between 2nd and 8th spot. Home ice could come down to the final few games. If 1 team happens to lose momentum Edmonton isn't that far off either. Makes for an exciting finish.

It sucks that calgary hasn't visited medicine hat yet, what kind of scheduling is that? DOn't get to see the top team in the east till february:(

hockey4
01-12-2008, 11:39 AM
No you can say what you like. It's just I hope Canes prove you wrong. People overlook us for some reason. Look who has the "second most points" in the East. It is not like we are 5th and hoping for a few wins. We are Second!!!! We are also 3-1 against the only team ahead of us.

i guess my opinion is that i see that same team now that i saw 3 years ago. lots of skill but little grit, and we all know how that year ended. but time will tell.

moon
01-12-2008, 12:41 PM
i guess my opinion is that i see that same team now that i saw 3 years ago. lots of skill but little grit, and we all know how that year ended. but time will tell.

I think this team has a lot more skill and a lot more grit than that team.

Wright and Versteeg provide plenty of grit on the backend and if May can add here as some suggest I think the Canes will be alright. While not physical Craige, Alexiuk and even Csiba certainly aren't soft players.

Upfront I think they have guys with size and who can play a gritty game. Wutcherl, Orfino, Chornenko, are three guys that definitely play a gritty style. Others such as Hotson, Boychuk, King, Bancks, Braes, Iwanski can also play that style at times this year as well.

They certainly aren't going to be the most physical team in the league but I think they are fair from a soft team and are one that can play a gritty play-off style at times.

It seems that team from 3 years ago kind of came out of the blue and were perhaps a little more successful in the regular season than their skill actually was. This team was expected to be good coming into the season and have proven that they are. They still could end up being upset but I think the likelyhood of that is less than it was three years ago and comparisons to that team are really not valid or fair to this team.