PDA

View Full Version : sonne traded to edmonton

wardog fan
01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
annouement on edmonton's website for a draft pick

wardog fan
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Edmonton Oil Kings General Manager Bob Green announced today the acquisition of 20 year old forward Brennan Sonne from the Red Deer Rebels in exchange for a 7th round draft pick in the 2009 Bantam draft.

Sonne started the year with the Everett Silvertips where he played 19 games and registered 2 goals and 1 assist to go along with 44 penalty minutes and was later traded to the Rebels where he's totalled 3 goals and 5 assists and another 28 minutes in penalties.

"Brennan plays with a lot of grit and determination." said Green. "He'll add a lot of character and some of his experience will rub off on some of our younger players."

hockey4
01-10-2008, 05:14 PM
a numbers game, they also reassigned edwards to cowichan valley as per whl.ca. get something for the players that arent gonna be back and let the young kids play.

Red celtic
01-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey maybe this could also mean they are opening up a 20 yr. old spot for another player? Maybe Brett Sutter!!!
Boogaard'd

flames624
01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Is Sutter still eligible to come back? Or are 20 years old set in stone now? Can anyone tell me how that works? I think he might have to stay in pro now after the deadline is now passed although he is rebels property? Thankyou!

SectionNDeserter
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I can't possibly imagine that Sonne's departure could mean anything but the return of Brett Sutter, given the rumours of his return, and the hole that the loss of Sonne would leave us with.

rebelfan
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Give it up. Brett is not coming back. The Rebels have to get their roster down to 22 I believe and it is still at 23.

hitmanfan
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
You are allowed 23 players.

SectionNDeserter
01-10-2008, 11:02 PM
hitmanfan is correct, and with the demotion of Edwards today, they have 22 skaters. (ie: room for one more, possibly overage player).

Rebel66
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Give it up. Brett is not coming back. The Rebels have to get their roster down to 22 I believe and it is still at 23.

I'm not so sure. Otherwise how do you explain them trading away Sonne who is such an excellent stand up team type player? He exhibited some excellent attributes in his short tenure here. Why they would simply trade him away for a 7th just boggles the brain unless something else is brewing on the 20 year old situation. They wanted to keep Louis as he is a great mentor for the young D, while they weren't likely to trade arguably their best offensive threat, newly acquired. That left Sonne.

Maybe we're reading too much into this but I don't get this move otherwise. Sonne was an excellent influence on the young players too.

hockey4
01-11-2008, 02:55 AM
like they stated above, they needed to get down in numbers. sonne and edwards gone makes it 23, as per the rebs release. once if was deemed that the playoffs were a longshot, they probably felt it was more important to play the younger players than the older players.

Im not sure why edmonton decided to trade for him. they gave up a good d-man meaning there not going for playoffs, and they already have plenty of 19-20 year olds, so im not sure why adding another 20 is beneficial.

SectionNDeserter
01-11-2008, 07:57 AM
like they stated above, they needed to get down in numbers. sonne and edwards gone makes it 23, as per the rebs release. once if was deemed that the playoffs were a longshot, they probably felt it was more important to play the younger players than the older players. Interesting that the press release would say 23, when have 22 with the trade of Sonne and reassignment of Edwards. Perhaps if not the return of Brett Sutter, maybe making room for a guy like Redmond when his team's season is done?

Rebel66
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Interesting that the press release would say 23, when have 22 with the trade of Sonne and reassignment of Edwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I count 23 on their roster, even after those moves. Chances are, it was all about getting down to that number, and nothing more, then. I'm surprised but there you go.

RebelsFan
01-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I counted 23.
13 forwards
8 d
2 goalies
Sorry for the double post on numbers. I got side tracked during typing and by the time I posted it someone had beat me to it.

SectionNDeserter
01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Hmmm, I always thought it was 23 skaters, so I never counted the goalies. We are at 23 then if you include the goaltenders, and I forgot about Kot (its been so long since I have seen him!) when I was adding up the players before.