PDA

View Full Version : Pats ponder impact of trades

nivek_wahs
01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/NEWS/117/

Pats ponder impact of trades

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, January 10, 2008
The sleepless nights are finally over for the Regina Pats.

The arrival of today's WHL trade deadline will be met with much relief by the Pats, whose dressing room has been a revolving door over the past week due to a flurry of trades.

"This date comes every year and it's going to be good once it's over with," said assistant captain Brett Leffler. "Guys in the room are going through a lot of stress but I think everyone is handling it quite well."

The deadline comes at an interesting time for the Pats. Amidst the excitement over six recent additions -- and the mixed emotions of losing six teammates -- their new-look lineup will get a huge test right off the bat when the defending Memorial Cup-champion Vancouver Giants visit the Brandt Centre on Friday night.

"We're trying not to think about (the trade deadline)," said right-winger Jordan Eberle. "I don't know what (GM) Brent (Parker) is up to but with the team we have right now we should be able to put some good lines together and do well. It's going to be a tough game against Vancouver so I don't think we really need to worry about the trade deadline. We're more worried about the game."

That said, the players wouldn't be human if it didn't creep into their heads.

"A lot happens behind the scenes," noted Leffler. "We go through a lot of adversity in a year. It's tough on the boys but I think all the guys handle it well. It's just something that we're brought up in to make us better players and better individuals."

After today's deadline, it'll be 'What you see is what you get' for the Pats. That said, there's still plenty of work to be done before the additions can truly feel comfortable in their new surroundings.

"These three days of practice are going to help a lot," said Leffler, whose team hasn't played since Sunday's 3-2 overtime loss in Swift Current. "It would be tough to just throw these new guys in the fire. It's good to get a couple practices under their belts to get a feel for this rink, this ice, all the other players and coaches on the team, and learn new systems. They're handling it really well. It won't be much of an adjustment. I think we'll be fine for this weekend."

Leffler can't wait to see what the future holds for this group.

"The new additions on our team, these guys have been great," he added. "We're bringing in 19- and 20-year-olds, so they've been around the league for three, four, five years now. They know what their job is. I just can't say enough about the character we have in our dressing room.

"Everyone is looking forward to (the deadline) being over so we can just move on."

EXTRAS: Bartley arrived in Regina on Wednesday but was a spectator for practice due to a groin injury. He'll skate today to determine if he'll be ready for Friday ... RW J.D. Watt is cleared to meet his old team after serving a one-game suspension for an elbow on Lethbridge D Mitch Versteeg ... The Pats are preparing to re-assign RW Cody Hanson, who could join his old team, the midget AAA Regina Pat Canadians. The Pats want to find Hanson more playing time than he would receive with the WHL club.